5th Grade Newsletter
April 19, 2018
FOOD DRIVE April 24-May 4
is helping stock the shelves at the Frisco Family Services Food Pantry!
APRIL 24 - MAY 4, 2018
Donations of the following are most needed:
Personal Care Items: Toothbrush, Soap, Deodorant, Body wash
Non- perishable food items: Peanut butter, jelly, canned pasta, boxed mac and cheese, boxed meal helpers, children’s cereal, fruit cups, fruit juices, ramen noodles, flour, cooking oils, condiments, crackers, baking mixes
For Babies: boxed baby cereal, formula, 4 & 5 diaper
Other: Laundry detergent, household cleaners, dishwashing liquid
Hopefully you can help us fill the pantry!! Of course we have classroom incentives!
400 items/class - shoes off day
600 items/class- hat day
750 items/class- gum day
1000 items/class – free sit at lunch
1250 items/class- fun snack and drink
1500 items/class- picnic lunch outside with lemonade
2000 items/class – popsicle Party and outdoor fun
IMPORTANT UPCOMING 5th GRADE DATES! - Mark your Calendar
May 3 - 5th Grade Drama Club Production of Wizard of Oz 6:30pm
May 18 - 5th Grade Field Day 9:30-1@Lebanon Trail
May 30 - 5th Grade Award's Assembly 8:00 in the Cafe
May 31 - 5th grade party at Strikz
5th Grade Play
All Smith families are invited so watch the 5th Grade Drama Club presentation of The Wizard of Oz! Come see a twister start Dorothy and Toto on an adventure to the Emerald City. You’ll meet quirky munchkins, grumpy trees, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion! Will the Wicked Witch and her flying monkeys catch Dorothy and her new friends? Come find out on Thursday, May 3rd at 6:30pm in the Smith Café.
Science - Concept Review
Reading/Writing - Note Taking - Research Project
Social Studies - World War II
Grammar - Parts of Speech Review
To Our Wonderful Volunteers
April 19: Reflections Night/PTA Meeting/Book Fair
April 23- No School-Staff Development
April 24-May 4th-Canned Food Drive
April 26: Open House
May 3: 5th Grade Drama Club Production of Wizard of Oz
Progress Reports Go home
May 7-11: Teacher Appreciation Week
May 9: Walk to School Day
May 16: Science STAAR testing on campus. Please no visitors to campus.
May 25th-No School
May 28-No School
Teacher Input Form - kinder through 4th only
The Smith Elementary Student Placement Information form for next year’s placement was sent out in last week’s School S’more. If you missed it or didn’t have a chance to fill it out, we will be extending the window until Friday. This is only if you have younger children and would like input on their child's teacher for next year.
Here is the link
May STAAR Testing
Fifth grade students are scheduled to take the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) tests in Science on May 16, 2018.
There are several things that you can do to help your child be successful on this test.
· Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test.
· Prepare a healthy breakfast for your child on the morning of the test.
· Have your child arrive at school on time that morning to avoid feeling rushed.
· Send a snack with your student to have during the testing. (Non-messy snacks are best)
· Do not schedule any medical appointments for your child on test day.
· Please do not plan to eat lunch with your child on test day.
· Finally, send your child to school with a hug and words of encouragement.
Please note, cell phones are not allowed in the classroom during testing. Thank you for your support in preparing your student for the STAAR test. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Spring is here! - Dress Code Reminders
As the weather gets warmer and we pull out all the spring clothes, please take a few minutes to remind your child about the dress code expectations!
- Sleeveless tops with a minimum width of two-inch wide straps are acceptable. The shirt straps must be wide enough to cover undergarments.
- See-through, bare midriff, halter type, shoulder-baring, spaghetti strap blouses or any revealing or low-cut clothing is not permitted.
- Shirt hems should extend well below the waist of pants/shorts/skirts in a sitting or standing position.
- Dresses, skirts and shorts must extend to or below the students’ fingertips when their arms are held to their sides.
- Tights, leggings, jeggings, and other form-fitting pants must be worn with shirts, skirts, or shorts that extend to fingertip length.
- Shirts with sleeves must be worn at all times.
- Shorts that extend to or below the students’ fingertips when their arms are held to their sides are acceptable
Please make sure your child is following the district guidelines from the Student Handbook!