Rapid Progress in *Boys' Writing
(*Girls Too) a unique approach to raise standards instantly
Ensure outstanding cross-curricular primary writing using a simple high-impact approach
The approach presented in this session applies to all subjects and is relevant for Special, Primary and Secondary Schools and delivers immediate sustained and visible classroom impact.
"Immediate impact with my year class. Unbelievable!" Literacy Co-ordinator, Enfield
This course will give teachers:
- A clear and structured approach to teaching all genres of writing using popular games as a stimulus.
- A whole-school approach to teaching cross-curricular writing which was developed for New National Curriculum and presented nationally for The National Literacy Trust.
- A bank of activities which raise standards, secure rapid progress and make a sustained impact on all young writers, even those who are most reluctant.
- A transferable cross-curricular approach demonstrating a clear, accessible progression covering: Talk for writing/ oral rehearsal, planning, drafting, feedback/collaboration and digital publishing.
- Activities which support all pupils, with significant impact on reluctant writers, pupils with SEN and those supported by Pupil Premium.
The course features the extensive use of iPad Minis, which will be provided on the day (no experience necessary.) All activities/methods can be carried out on Android tablets.
"The impact of this approach is immediate and incredible" Primary Headteacher, Hull
This course was designed for the New National Curriculum and places an emphasis on spoken language, modelled adult language and opportunities for oral rehearsal. It introduces a new and high effective approach to teaching writing in all year groups and in all subjects. Assessment and high standards are a central theme. The course presents a proven way to use classroom technology when it provides the best tool for the job.
9:30: Introduction and background
9:45 Starting Points
10:15 Spoken Language in the National Curriculum
10:30 A new way of planning.....EVERYTHING
11:00 Introducing a new way of working
11:20 Oral rehearsal and presentation
11:40 A tool to transform all writing tasks
12:00 Short Writing Tasks
12:20 Reviewing and applying
12:30 Lunch ( served in the Wash House Cafe)
1:15 Short practical activity (optional!)
1:50 Real world relevance and audience
2:15 Making an impact across the school. Next steps and action plans
2:30 Transferring the approach. Final activity
2:50 Review and feedback
"Outstanding! Thank you, so many ideas. Completely inspired." Literacy Co-ordinator, Chiltern Primary School, Hull
"Excellent training course, so much to take back to school. Real teachers who know what teachers need! " NAHT Delegate, Wakefield
"An inspirational and effective approach every teacher should use." National Literacy Trust Delegate, London
"Having now used these activities in the classroom children's attitudes to writing have instantly transformed. The buzz they now have found for writing is incredible. They are still fired up to write at 3:00pm on a Friday! " Michelle Randall-Harris, Primary Teacher
"Incredible outcomes. This approach supports writing and communcation in all subjects."
Speech and Language Therapist, Children in Scotland delegate.