SST Guidance Dpt Updates
Resources for parents for college
Parents can also access College Board's webinars for additional resources.
Dual Credit Speech 1311 course next school year
High School Students,
If you are interested in taking a face-to-face Dual Credit Speech 1311 course next school year during the FALL semester (August-December) please come see Ms. Barba by the end of the day on Friday, February 9th. The class will be on SST's campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:45. Remember, this is not an online class and you will have to attend each class meeting at the designated times.If you are interested and have passed the TSI, please come see Ms. Barba to get your forms. The deadline to submit an online application for FALL 2018 is February 12, 2018
The “Engineer for a Day” Program
The “Engineer for a Day” Program is open to high school juniors and seniors interested in engineering as a future career. It consists of local engineering firms hosting these students at each respective firm location and allows students to get a hands-on experience of engineering as a career (similar to the Career & Technical Education Job Shadow Day currently advertised as February 2nd). This year, Engineer for a Day takes place on Tuesday, February 20th, 2018. You may get application package from your counselors or your content teachers. Deadline to return the forms are no later than February 9th.
Parents and students can register and pay online at https://www.e-week.org/register/proclamation-breakfast. Just use the drop down menu and select “Engineer-for-a-Day Student Sponsor ($25).” Parents who would like to attend the Proclamation Breakfast with the students can register as an individual attendee for $40.
Online SAT tools. SST will have on site SAT test for all Juniors
Check out this new, on-demand webinar that walks you through the basics and shows how to get started using the tools.
CPS Energy Paid summer Employement-Deadline February 2!
CPS Program promoting higher education * Deadline February 2 * Paid Summer Employment
Each school year the SAFE program is open to highly-successful, incoming high school high school juniors who are interested in pursuing a college degree in fields related to the energy industry. Our SAFE students apply during the spring of their sophomore year in high school and intern with us during the summer. The CPS Energy Student Assistance for Education (SAFE) Program is designed to promote higher education for professional careers in public utilities by:
- providing personal development through mentoring
- providing hands-on learning experiences through paid summer employment
- providing real-world work experience
- providing exposure to various utility industry careers
The SAFE program benefits students with work experience, enhanced self-esteem, and a true picture of their chosen field of study. Student selection for participation in the program is based upon the student's application, interview, references, essays and their ability to meet all criteria outlined in the program participation checklist. Students interested in participating in applying should apply online:https://careers.cpsenergy.com/
Deadline to apply: February 2nd, 2018
The following lists eligibility criteria for participation in the SAFE program. Students participating in the CPS Energy Student Assistance for Education (SAFE) program must meet all CPS Energy hiring policyrequirements.
- At least 16 years of age
- Junior in high school
- Have a grade average of "B" or higher
- Rank in the top 20% of class
- Have an above average attendance record
- Demonstrate an interest in seeking a degree applicable to the utility industry
- Participate in full-time summer employment with CPS Energy after junior year in high school for a minimum of 8 weeks each summer
- Attend all activities sponsored by CPS Energy during summer employment
- Must reside in CPS Energy service area
- Pass a drug test and background screen prior to summer employment with CPS Energy
- Complete CPS Energy online application. Submit HS transcripts, resume, letters of reference(2), essays and parent consent form (attach documents to online application)
Top 5 Reasons to Attend Summer STEM
5. A Field Trip to the Nation’s Capital
4. Build Cool Things
3. Live on Campus
2. Meet New Friends
1. Experience STEM at the #1 Top Public College in the Country (Forbes) and #5 "Best Undergraduate Engineering Program" in the Country (U.S. News & World Report)
Contact your counselor for more information
To start your application click here