SPARK Academy Newsletter - September 2, 2022
Mission to the Moon
You have an amazing opportunity to watch history in the making this weekend! If everything goes well, the Artemis I rocket will launch from Cape Canaveral Saturday at 1:17 p.m. This is the first test launch of the new Space Launch System, or SLS, as NASA prepares to send humans back to the Moon! You can watch it online at bit.ly/ArtemisNASA or on NASA TV. This is a great opportunity to spend time with your child and extend school learning at home. Ask your student what details they know about the mission. They know all about the crew (there isn't one) and how the rocket will break apart in stages during the launch. We are all very excited for the historic mission!
Thanks to Mrs. Kennedy for providing the information in this message. There are lots of other great things taking place in SPARK lab. Check out the pictures below from classes this week.
PTO Corner - SPARK T-Shirts Coming Soon!
SPARK grade level t-shirts will be on sale September 6-15. Look for order forms in your child's papers next week. The t-shirt design is pictured here.
- Don't forget to send in your party money. Each student is asked to bring in $8 to help cover the cost of our Halloween and Christmas parties. Please send cash in a sealed envelope labeled "Party Money" as soon as possible.
- Join the PTO Facebook group. PTO members can get updates through the PTO page. Just search for the SPARK PTO group and request to join.
SPARK PTO Officers:
Casey Bearden, president
Nancy Hipolito, vice president
Kelly Nave, secretary
Riley Greene, treasurer
Artemis I Art
September 5: Labor Day Holiday (no school)
September 11: Grandparents Day
September 16: Health Heroes flue vaccines for kids (students must have signed forms to participate)
September 23: Professional Learning Day/No school for students
October 4: 2nd Grade field trip to Cathedral Caverns
October 10-14 : Fall Break
October 19: Reports go home for first 9-week grading period
October 27: Kindergarten field trip to Birmingham Zoo
October 31: Halloween party at 1:45
Our students spend the entire day learning, so having them here on time and avoiding checkouts is extremely important. Here are some general reminders to help support good attendance for your child:
- Our school day is 7:45 a.m. until 2:45 p.m.
- Parents should bring students who arrive late to the office to check them in.
- Check-outs are conducted through the office.
- Any missed school will be categorized as an excused absence, excused tardy, unexcused absence, or unexcused tardy.
- Excessive absences and tardies will subject the student and parent to truancy policies and procedures
Read the full attendance policy for Athens City Schools here:
Student-Parent Handbook Grades PreK - 5
SPARK Academy at Cowart
Athens, AL 35611
Location: 1701 West Hobbs Street, Athens, AL 35611, USA