Working, Working, Everyone
December brought lots of events and students to the library. Here are a few:
- Mrs. Taylor's and Mrs. Simmons's classes visited the library to work on their research projects, a historical figure fact card. Students used both online databases and print sources to research a chosen historical figure, and also learned about plagiarism, citing different sources, and determining importance of facts.
- Mrs. Langhorne's classes used the library as a space for socratic seminars. See below for a photo!
- Mrs. Slevin's Action Writing classes have been using the computers in the library to work on their essay writing in preparation for the upcoming Writing SOL in March.
- Students in Mrs. Crawford's classes used the library to finish group presentations, using both the space and computer areas.
- We received over 140 new books, both fiction and nonfiction!
- The library sponsored a "12 Days of Fun Facts" contest from December 2 - December 18. Each day, a fun fact to research was read over the announcements and posted on the library bulletin board. Students used internet and print sources to find the answer. One correct answer at random was chosen as the winner. Students and staff both learned lots of new facts, such as: Metallica was the first band to perform a concert on all seven continents in one year, and this year would have been Walt Disney's 113th birthday. We had great participation in this contest and look forward to making it an annual event.
- Librarians from the Chantilly Public Library visited RRMS students and gave book talks to students to get them excited about reading over break. There were great titles this year!
Students in Mrs. Langhorne's class participate in a Socratic Seminar in the Library during the month of December.
RRMS Library December: By the Numbers
Student check-ins to the Library in December
This doesn't count class visits!
Parent volunteers this month
They helped cover paperback books as well as put books back on the shelves. Thanks!
New books added to our collection
Fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and graphic novels!
Upcoming Events: January
- We will be hosting our second book fair of the year on January 12-16th. It is a Bookworm book fair instead of Scholastic. Come check it out!
- Laura Elliott, author of Under a War-Torn Sky, will join January's Parent Teen Book Club meeting on January 14.