September 2023 | Olympic View Elementary School
From the Desk of our Principal
Welcome Orca Families! We can’t wait to see you!
Dear Orca Families,
We hope this letter finds you excited and ready for the start of the new school year. Whether you are returning to our school community or joining us for the first time, we extend a warm welcome to each and every one of you. We are thrilled to have you with us!
ParentSquare: Your Connection to School Updates
We want to ensure that you are well informed about the happenings at our school throughout the year. To stay updated on important announcements, events, and information, we encourage all families to sign up for ParentSquare. ParentSquare is our primary communication platform, allowing us to easily share updates with you and streamline our communication channels. If you haven't already, please take a moment to sign up and explore all the features it has to offer.
Family ParentSquare Resource Page: https://bit.ly/ohpsparentsquare
Follow Us for the Latest Updates
In addition to ParentSquare, we also share important updates and highlights on our school Website and Facebook. These resources will keep you in the loop about events, achievements, and other exciting happenings at our school. So be sure to connect with us on social media to stay informed!
Open House: August 31 - Save the Date!
We are thrilled to announce that our Open House will take place on August 31 at Olympic View Elementary School from 3:30-6:30. This is a fantastic opportunity for students, families, and staff to come together as we kick off the new school year. We have a packed schedule for the day, including "Meet the Teacher", Back to School Bingo, an information session about our school, completion of back-to-school documents, a family picnic sponsored by our amazing PTA, and a PTA-sponsored clothing swap.
- 3:30-5:00-Open House Activities
- 5:00-5:45 School-wide picnic-please feel free to bring a blanket or chair
- 5:45-6:30 Open House Activities
We encourage everyone to attend and participate in these events, as they are a great way to connect with one another and build a sense of community.
Be an Orca-Character Strong
As we embark on this new school year, we want to emphasize our commitment to nurturing and developing the whole child. Through the use of the Character Strong curriculum, we have an opportunity to help our Orca Community Members learn the value of empathy, service, and connection. Along with strong academics, our goal is to teach students to be capable, compassionate people, and to empower them to become the best versions of themselves. When our students feel safe, supported, and part of a community, they perform better, act with more kindness, and want to show up to school each day. We believe this curriculum will have a powerful and positive impact on the climate and culture of our school, and it is our hope that families will join us in this work to build a kinder school culture and, ultimately, a kinder world.
Embrace Your Inner Orca
Finally, we encourage all students to embrace their inner Orca. As the symbol of our school, the Orca represents strength, unity, and resilience. By embodying these qualities, Together, we can face challenges, make meaningful connections, and reach new heights. So let's be proud Orcas and show the world what we can achieve!
We are excited for the incredible year ahead and look forward to working with each and every one of you. If you have any questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. Let's make this an unforgettable year!
Please reach out if I can help you in any way.
General Office Contact Information
Office contact number: 360-279-5150
Office contact email: email@example.com
NOTES FROM THE OFFICE
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering your time for more information.
- Monday's are now Early Release Days. Students will be dismissed at 2:20 pm and if they are bus riders they will be arriving an hour before their regular dismissal days time.
- Change of end of the day transportation. Please remember to call the office before 2:45 pm if you are changing your student's mode of transportation home. On Monday please call before 1:45 pm. This ensures that we are able to inform the students and their teachers in a timely manner.
- Fourth Grade Orca Assistance: Do you have a 4th grader who is interested in having a special role at our upcoming Open House? Please contact our School Counselor Stacey Mahoney at 360.279.5160 or email at mailto:email@example.com
Our Staff Working Hard on Giving the School A Fresh New Look
Library New Look
NEWS FROM OUR NURSE
Reminder: All health plans and healthcare provider orders are good for one school year only. If your child needs a health plan or needs to take medication during the school day for the school year 2023- 2024 (this includes any prescription, over-the-counter medications, or inhalers used at school, during team sports practices, or after-school activities), please download the appropriate form from the district website https://www.ohsd.net/Page/2126. Forms may also be picked up in the office.
Our New Parent Communication System
Beginning the 2023-2024 school year, Oak Harbor Public Schools will use ParentSquare to communicate with you at the school, and in your classrooms and groups. ParentSquare provides a simple and safe way for everyone at school to connect. With ParentSquare you’ll be able to:
- Receive all school and classroom communication via email, text, or app
- Communicate in your preferred home language with automatic translation
- Direct message teachers and staff
- Have access to your school's documents and pictures/videos that come in your ParentSquare messages
- Easily sign up to volunteer and/or bring items
At the beginning of the school year, you will receive an invitation in your email to join ParentSquare. This invitation will go to the email address or phone number you provided at the time of registration. Please click on the link in the message to activate your account. You can also use your email or phone number to set up your account without an invitation. You can use ParentSquare on any device. In the links on the right navigation, you can download the free mobile app for Android or iOS.
Our goal is for every family to join ParentSquare. Please contact the Communications Department if you have questions or need information.
OVE ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL 2023 - 2024
All vehicles must enter campus via the south entrance (nearest the CDC).
In order to ensure the safety of all students, families, and staff.
- Follow the directions of all staff members.
- Drive slowly and keep a watchful eye out for students!
- Students may be on campus at 8:30 AM.
- Any time you enter the building, please check in at the front office.
- All students will enter the building through the main entrance upon arrival.
- For drive-through dismissal, no parking/waiting on campus or on NE Regatta St. before 3:15 PM.
Morning drop-off is in front of the school. Please use the drop-off lane closest to the main building. Pull forward to the farthest point possible for the best traffic flow. For your child(ren)'s safety, if you park in the front lot, you MUST accompany your child(ren) across the crosswalk to the front of the school. If your child(ren) needs extra time to unload, please park in the parking lot at the front of the building and walk your child across to the front entrance of the building.
If there are changes in the dismissal plans for your child(ren), please call the office before 1:30 PM to ensure there is sufficient time to pass on the information.
If your child(ren) needs extra time to load, please park in the parking lot at the front of the building and walk your child across the crosswalk to the front entryway of the building.
Front of the School Dismissal
- If walking, please meet your child(ren) at the front of the building.
- If driving and parking, authorized adults must walk to the front of the building and escort their child to the car.
Drive-Through Dismissal- Back of School
**For drive-through dismissal, no parking/waiting on campus or on NE Regatta St. before 3:15 PM. All Families will be given a car tag to place in their car for drive-up dismissal. When you enter campus at the south entrance, please have your car tag on the left side of your car's front window or the driver's side window.
- Have your car tag with your student's first and last name visible.
- Please have a card in every car that is authorized to pick up your child.
- Additional cards are available, please tell your child(ren)'s teacher or call the office if you need a new one or an extra.
- Pull your vehicle up so that the car door is lined up with the cone.
- Please remain in your vehicle during pick-up.
- Follow the directions of the staff that are directing traffic. We want to have the process be as safe and quick as possible.
- Pick up your child(ren when they are at a cone, and not before.
Dress for Success!
Hello OVE Families! It’s hard to believe the beginning of our school year is just around the corner! I am excited to meet you at our upcoming open house Thursday, August 31st, 3:30-6:30 PM.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the upcoming school year or regarding your student. I am here for our OVE families to provide resources and consultation. School counselors work with students in developmentally appropriate and preventative ways on specific learning targets so that students are in a receptive place for instruction. For example, some upcoming lessons will help students increase their listening skills, actively problem-solve, reduce conflict, manage emotions, act with kindness, and learn how to understand others’ perspectives.
Additional supportive staff here at OVE is our Student Support Specialist/Dean, Mr. Michael Howard, and our Behavior Paraeducator, Ms. Michaela Eben. We are here to help your children do their very best and I am so excited about working with all of our students this school year. Please let me know if you have any questions about the school counseling program and thank you for sharing your wonderful children with us at OVE!
Mr. Greg has been working hard all summer.
Free Meals for 2023 - 24 School Year
Dear Olympic View Families,
We are excited to announce that beginning in the 2023-2024 school year, Olympic View Elementary School is eligible for free school meals for all students. New legislation will provide state funding for free meals to elementary schools (grades K-4) with 40 percent or more enrolled children eligible for free or reduced-priced meals. The eligible schools include: Broad View Elementary, Olympic View Elementary and Crescent Harbor Elementary. Students at these schools are eligible for one breakfast and one lunch daily at no cost, regardless of household income.
While meals will be free to students at these eligible schools, in order to maintain this eligibility, families must continue to complete their free and reduced price meal applications every year. It is important for families to ensure their free and reduced-price lunch applications are filled out and returned to the school district as soon as possible.
In addition to determining a family’s qualification for daily free or reduced-price breakfast and lunch, applications determine an elementary school’s eligibility to provide no cost meals and help maintain other state educational funding which pay for classroom resources and reduce school fees. To complete the free and reduced meal application, go to the Oak Harbor Public Schools website or contact your child’s school for a printed application.
First Day Photos
Our Amazing and Dedicated Staff
- Heather Chaszar
- Candice Esvelt
- Amber Hunter
- Amy Kenley
- Dani Morrison
- Jenny Cloudy
- Megan Duhrkopf
- Kat McCarroll
- Haylee Purkey
- Heather VanGiesen
- Kate Brodt
- Elizabeth Haight
- Melissa Roussell
- Sarah Thacker
- Janelle Byers
- Kendra Hackler
- Nancie Kenney
- Lisa Temcov
Fourth Grade Teachers:
- John DelPrete
- Brandie Duda
- Chad Martin
Special Education Service Providers:
- Cameron Cornell
- Megan McLeod
- Katie Rodeheffer
- Terri Jackson
- Liz Loftus
- Corrie Wells
- Taylor Berthiaume-Music
- Chad Boyer-PE
- Brigit White-Library
- Christina Brady-Art
- Bree Higingbotham - Literacy Specialist
- Janet Sodano - Literacy Specialist
- Katie Bangcaya
- Omni Bulthuis
- Jessica Draxten
- Amy Dymond
- Michelle Grubbs
- Eileen Harris
- Shannon Huff
- Nancy Johnson
- Jaime Landis
- Lisa Latta
- Katie Lynch
- Alexis Mills
- Dana Parry
- Deanna Quayle
- Serena Santos
- Anna Sika
- Jr Sosky
- Dee Dee Uranga
- Bobbi Vesco
- Sherley Warden
- Christina Winters
- Summer Wright
- Laurie Zywica
Food Service Staff:
- Crystal Boch
- Tracy Gentry
- Mary Koepke
- Kim Larson
- Rita Neighbors
- Bryanne Wathen
Student Support Staff:
- Michael Howard, Dean
- Stacey Mahoney, School Counselor
- Michelle Vance, Speech Therapist
- Marissa Croucher, English Language Learner
- Walter Gruenwald, Occupational Therapist
- Monica Kidder, Physical Therapist
School Support Staff:
- Andra Shelly, Principal's Secretary
- Karen Bell, Communications
- Greg Knoll, Custodian
- Tracy Ebersole, Attendance
- Robbin White, Nurse
- Robert Miller-Hubbell, Custodian
About Olympic View Elementary
Location: 380 Northeast Regatta Drive, Oak Harbor, WA, USA