Davis/Martin Weekly Update
April 11 - 15
We have updated the Important Dates at the end of the newsletter. Everything from now until the end of the year should be listed.
Monday, April 25th and Tuesday, April 26th, 5th grade students will take their ACT Aspire Assessments. It is essential that students arrive to school on time and are well-rested.
Mid-Quarter reports will go home Wednesday, April 20th. Be on the lookout for your child's Accelerated Reader progress report, too. 4 chapter books must be read and tested on by Friday, May 13th.
If you have not returned your child's permission slip for our Capitol Field Trip on the 22nd, please do so as soon as possible. Remember that this trip will get back after the buses dismiss, so after school transportation will need to be provided.
Students have enjoyed learning during our JA Biztown lessons. They have been learning about financial literacy and the community and economy. This week, we will be moving onto work readiness and business management. If you would like to volunteer to help during our field trip to JA Biztown on Monday, May 9, please contact Mrs. Davis or Mrs. Martin directly.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Reading/Writing/Social Studies: chapter 9: The Revolutionary War. We will also be working on our JA Biztown curriculum (work readiness). S.S. Chapter 9 Test will be on Tuesday, April 19th.
- Vocabulary: Spartan, recoil, abominable, native
- Read Aloud: Storyteller written by Patricia Reilly Giff
IN MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We are putting our Space Unit on hold and going to work on the JA Biztown Curriculum.
- Math: We have moved to our Measurement and Geometry Unit. We will be working on metric and customary conversions this week.
- We have implemented a new web-based curriculum called MobyMax in our classrooms. MobyMax is tailored to your child's individual needs, and we think you will be very impressed by how fast your child will excel while using Moby. Students will be responsible for logging in practice time. Students need to complete 1 round of Fact Fluency (unless they have 100% in all four categories) and 10 minutes of Individualized Math Lessons. The students might want to set a timer.
- Students can continue to work on Khan Academy and Front Row Math.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly MobyMax Log: 1 round of Fact Fluency and at least 10 minutes of Math, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's math grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
Mon. April 11: 5th Grade OLSAT Testing
Wed. April 13: 5th Grade Honor Roll Breakfast @ 7:30 a.m. & Talent Show Tryouts
Tues. April 19: S.S. Chapter 9 Test
Wed. April 20: Mid-Quarter Reports go home
Fri. April 22: State Capitol Field Trip
Mon. April 25 and Tues. April 26: 5th Grade ACT Aspire Testing
Thurs. April 28: Bookworm Buddies - 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Fri. April 29: Luau - Ticketed Event
Fri. May 6: 5th Grade Girls Club Field Trip
Mon. May 9: Junior Achievement Field Trip
Wed. May 11: Color Run Reward (3 demerits or less)
Fri. May 13: UHI Olympics - Ticketed Event
Mon. May 16: 5th Grade Boys Club Field Trip
Tues. May 17: Talent Show Rehearsal
Wed. May 18: Talent Show
Thurs. May 19: 5th Grade Awards Assembly (10:00 a.m.)
Fri. May 20th: 5th Grade Reward Trip - Wild River Country
Thurs. May 26: Last Day of School (dismiss @ 10:30 a.m.)