Middle School Principals
November 2015 Newsletter
A Day in the Life...
November News from MDE:
1. Program Evaluation: Use the same as last year and then add to it; Resources added
2. e-Prove will be rolled out in January and New Standards rolled out for AdvancED in summer of 2016.
3. Science Standards were approved on Tuesday, November 10th!
4. Social Studies scheduled to go to State Board of Education in mid-Winter
5. Teacher & Administrator Evaluation (SB H-8) was signed on Thursday:
2015-2016: 25% of annual year-end evaluation based on student growth
2016-2017: 25% of annual year-end evaluation based on student growth
2017-2018: 25% of annual year-end evaluation based on student growth
2018-2019: 40% of annual year-end evaluation based on student growth & assessment data
Student Growth--(when thinking about state assessments) it is about verifying not determining. Using portfolios, discussions, conversations, etc..not a point system that makes the decision for you.
New Teacher Network Off to a Great Start!
We had a nice group for our first New Teachers' Network (about 12).
Our topic was: Setting up a Positive Culture in Your Classroom
December 9th 4:30-6:30 Engaging Students/Parents through Social Media
March 16th 4:30-6:30 Reflections, Feedback, and Getting Better!
Spring 2016-Testing Schedule Update
Key Dates to Remember:
School System Review (SSR) OR Interim Self-Assessment or Self Assessment
DUE March 18
School Improvement Plan (SIP)
DUE September 1
District System Review (DSR) OR District Interim Self Assessment or Self Assessment
DUE April 22
Assessment Links and Updates
MDE Link to all Things M-STEP
Update from Office of Assessment & Accountability
Learning Opportunities for Administrators & Teachers
Tuning Up Classroom Assessments
January 12 and January 19
- How confident are you that your current assessments are tightly aligned with the new Common Core State Standards?
- How confident are you that your current assessments are rigorous enough to assess students at the appropriate depth of knowledge?
- How confident are you that your current assessments are of high quality and produce valid results?
This 2-day workshop will provide background knowledge to ensure assessments are aligned to the Common Core and guide participants through a process of analyzing and modifying current assessments being used in their grade, course, building and/or district.
This K-12 workshop is great for teams of teachers using common or interim assessments within a PLC. Participants will need to bring a current assessment with them, printed out on single-sided sheets of paper.