The Thomas Times
Science & Math Happenings for the Week of February 15, 2016
- Gallon jug
- Quart jug
- 1 Liter bottle
- Pint Container (like the larger size white/chocolate milk, not the size from the cafeteria)
- yogurt container (small, not the large container)
- medicine cup (the kind that comes with cough syrup)
February 15: Student Holiday
February 19: Plano Symphony Orchestra field trip
February 24: Cici's Spirit Night
February 29-March 4: College Week
March 3: PTA Meeting
March 7-11: Spring Break
4th Grade Math Checkpoint Assessment
This week, your student will be bringing home their Checkpoint report. There is A LOT of information included in these reports, including:
- your child's score and whether they met/did not meet expectations or were commended
- which TEKS/student expectations they mastered and which they did not
- the standards in each reporting category they did not master
Students have had the opportunity to look at their score on the 3rd grade STAAR test and their score on the Checkpoint. We've worked together to come up with a goal for each student to score on their 4th grade STAAR test. These goals are attached to the Checkpoint report, as well.
There were quite a few questions (22) on the Checkpoint covering objectives we have not taught in class yet. You will notice on the report that those are the questions/objectives NOT shaded. Students are not expected to have mastered those TEKS not in the shaded portion of the report.
Our team has been working hard to formulate an intervention plan for our students to meet their needs. All students will be receiving appropriate intervention on those TEKS/student expectations in which they have not yet mastered.
Please sign and return the bottom half of the letter that is stapled to the report. After you've looked over the report, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.
This Week in Math....
- Begin looking at benchmark measurements for both customary and metric units
This Week in Science...
This week we have/will:
- Look at and identify phases of the moon
- High and low tides
- Weather patterns and symbols