For My 7th Grade Art Class
Art Spiegelman Answers
2. People have described his work as "outstanding", "impactful" and "original".
3. This artist does not work more than one style; he focuses on comic books only.
4. Spiegelman had been born to two Polish Jews in Stockholm, Sweden as Itzhak Avraham ben Zev. His family immigrated to the New York, New York, USA in 1951, where he started his Art Career.
5. In 1963 he attended the High School of Art and Design in Manhattan. After graduation, he decided to attend Harpur College (now known as Binghamton University) to study art and philosophy.
6. Spiegelman became friends with many of the artists that inspired him, though he still says that Harvey Kurtzman, the creator of Mad Magazine, inspired him most.
7. Art Spiegelman created Maus, his most popular book, and Raw, worked at Underground Comix and at The New Yorker, and, after 9/11, worked on things based on the 9/11 attack.
8. I think that this artist is interesting because he did not focus on things like panting or sculpting like other artists, but focused on comics, which is something that most artists do not even try.