ELL MAY REMINDERS
ELL Specialist News
- Continue to work with ELL/ESD students and their teachers.
- Seek opportunities to create inclusive, collaborative learning supports in Tier 1
- Make sure a hard copy of a student AIP and ELL Report is included in the yellow file
- Make sure a schedule of support is included in the yellow file (no last names)
- Update digital AIPs as needed
- Log consultation and support in ELLMS
- Spring Assessment (draft writing pieces, oral language quick scales, connect to PARS and ELIS data with reading quick scales).
Remember that ELL Assessment is to inform our AIP goal development for continuing students. Align with what is currently happening in your schools/classrooms as much as possible. We never wish to over assess our ELLs when we have good data already.
Assessing More Talk!
Writing and our Language Learners
8 Ways to Scaffold Writing for English Learners
Shared Writing and the Language Experience Approach (LEA)
Visuals... visuals... visuals... did I mention visuals??
Resource Round Up
Levels of Understanding
Authentic opportunities to practice academic language
Wordless Picture Books
Wordless picture books are great for students learning English or with lower levels of literacy. This article, by Valentina Gonzalez @ValentinaESL, outlines the benefits of WPB, ways to incorporate and use them as well as some title recommendations to check out!