Bowman Counseling Corner
Mr. Clayton 11th (N-Z) – 12th grade Counselor
Ms. Ratliff 10th - 11th (A-M) grade Counselor
Mrs. Drummond 7th – 9th grade Counselor
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- 7th- 12th Grade Science Fair at TBLA-January 28, 2019. Participating scholars will receive 5 community service hours. Top three winners will receive an overall amount of $100
- ACT Test- February 9, 2019. Scholars, remember to upload your photo and print-out your test admissions ticket by logging into http://www.act.org/content/act/en/register.html. Please do so before February 9th. If you need any asistance, please see your counselor.
- FYI: TBLA's very own Jr. MANRRS will present their projects in February to a panel of judges and winners of the competition will travel to Kansas for the National MANRRS Conference.
- We are excited to announce that TBLA will be a testing site for SAT on May 4, 2019!
ATTENTION: All 7th & 8th Grade Scholars
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundations Scholarship Program for 7th graders will be offering an application workshop at your neighboring school, 21st Century Charter School . Mrs. Drummond will contact you and your parent if you qualify to apply for the scholarship. Please be advised that you must RSVP for the application workshop, as space is limited. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Mrs. Drummond.
21st Century Scholars Enrollment Contest is underway and we have five weeks left in the trimester before the contest end.
1. Apply online at www.scholars.in.gov or submit your application to Mrs. Drummond.
2. After you submit your application come and pick up a treat from Mrs. Drummond.
3. All applicants will be entered into a raffle to win an RCA tablet with keyboard.
4. The top 7th and 8th grade 1st period class will earn a pizza party and the teacher will win a $25 Gift Card
7th Grade Enrollment Data
Percentage Enrolled/Applied By Class:
8th Grade Enrollment Data
Percentage Enrolled/Applied By Class:
GET THAT MONEY SCHOLARSHIP CORNER!
Think you can’t afford to pay for that college or university you’ve always wanted to go to? Well, think again! Check out and apply for these qualifying scholarships below and GET THAT MONEY!
On Friday, January 11, 2019, the Crown Point Community Foundation will start accepting online scholarship applications. All applicants will apply and submit applications online. You can access the scholarship application and a listing of scholarship awards by visiting www.thecpcf.org or through the Crown Point Community Foundation Facebook page.
Deadline for applying for scholarships will be Friday, February 22, 2019. Questions about the application process should be made to the foundation office at 219-662-7252.
1. Bachus & Schanker LLC $2,000 Scholarship criteria:
- Write an 800 word essay about the 7th Amendment and how it affects their lives
- High School Seniors ho have been accepted to a four year University
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Deadline: July 30th, 2019 (Fall Scholarship)
2. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Annual Scholarship criteria:
Scholarship applications will be available January 2019 in your Counselors Office.
- Female High School Senior
- Attend Gary Public H.S.
- Minimum 2.8 GPA
The $1,000 Bookoo Scholarship
We are strong advocates of continued education and scholarships have helped us personally in our own college education. We'd like others to benefit as well.
To Qualify, You Must:
· Attend an accredited college or university (or be a graduating high school senior)
· Complete and return the scholarship application (below)
· Applications are due by July 1st for Fall semesters
3. AI ENGSTROM NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any current, full-time student of an accredited American university
or college, with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.5, is welcome to apply.
There is no age requirement.
HOW TO APPLY:
(1) Write an essay of no fewer than 800 words about the topic: Discuss your vision of electronic design, engineering and manufacturing in the global economy.
Candidates can use any of the following to help with writing the essay:
· a. If applicable, describe any experience in manufacturing, logistics, electrical or mechanical engineering, or business that would support your vision. The strongest essay submissions are sourced and referenced to reputable publications.
· b. Provide entrepreneurial ideas about international business, starting and running your own business, and how your management style would be instrumental in your success.
· c. The topic is broad and can include: healthcare, business, science, engineering, etc.
· d. Do not make the essay about your history. You may do this through a short video or a short written summary noted below.
(2) Include a short bio video or short written essay describing yourself, your history, why education is important to you and how you will use your scholarship money.
(3) Email your essay via word doc or pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(5) Awarded Scholarships can be found on the “Scholarship Award Winners” page.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:
The essay submission deadline is August 1st for fall semester. The scholarship program will be ongoing with two different winners awarded each calendar year.
SELECTION PROCESS AND NOTIFICATION:
Essays will be reviewed by the PCB Solutions Scholarship Committee and the winner will be announced on August 15th for fall on the PCB website. The winner will also be notified via email. Any questions on the scholarship essay contest can be directed to: email@example.com
For more scholarships please visit: thescholarshipsystem.com
MENTORSHIP, TRADE AND INTERNSHIP PROGRAM OPPORTUNITIES
Penn Engineering Summer Academy
Priority Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
Final Application Deadline: April 5, 2019
Summer Academy: July 7th- 27th
If there are any referrals or questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at esap.seas.upenn.edu for full program details.
SENIORS DON'T FORGET TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form to apply for financial aid for college or grad school. The 2019–20 FAFSA form is here! Some states and schools have limited funds, so submit your application today.
Use FAFSA4caster to get a free early estimate of your eligibility for federal student aid. Learn how to fill out the FAFSA form, and browse common FAFSA topics. Find out what to expect after you fill out the FAFSA form, including when and how your aid will be paid out.
Visit the FAFSA website: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. See your counselor for more info!