The Patriot Press
Liberty Park Elementary School
Week of December 17th, 2018
Dear Liberty Park Families,
It is hard to believe that the 1st semester of the 18/19 school year is coming to an end. I am so proud of our students for all of the growth that they have achieved so far this year. Thank you parents for all that you do to help prepare your students for school each and every day. We could not do what we do with out your support.
I wish each of our LP families a safe and enjoyable holiday break. Next week will be our last week of school and we will be looking forward to seeing students back at school in 2019!
Have a great weekend and as always, I thank you for your continued support of Liberty Park Elementary!
December 21st - Last Day Before Winter Break
January 7th - School Resumes
January 11th - 2nd Quarter Report Cards Sent Home
January 12th - Robotics Team Competition
January 17th - Family Movie Night @ 6:30pm
January 21st - No School - MLK Day
January 22nd - 4th Grade Science Bowl Competition
January 26th - Robotics Team Competition
School Dismissal Manager:
Parents - Everyone should have received an email from School Dismissal Manager, our new dismissal software for LP. Please download the app or login via computer to set your child's DEFAULT dismissal. Once you have set their default, you only need to use the app to report your child's absences to school or make EXCEPTIONS to your child's your email or have any questions. receive. Please contact the front office if you did not receive your email or if you have any questions.
Updates and Information
- Building Entrance - As part of our building safety enhancements, our new visitor intercom system has been updated and is located just outside the building. Starting next week, when visiting us you will now need to buzz the intercom outside the building and be prepared to show the appropriate identification as you enter. As a reminder, please do NOT hold the door open for other parents coming in.
- Car Rider Drop Off Families - Please ensure that students are being dropped off in the designated car rider drop off area following staff direction. The east end of our front parking lot is designated for bus traffic and students should not be dropped off in that area. Patience and procedures help us ensure the safety of all during this process.
- Winter Recess Policy - School Board and School policy encourage outdoor recess for our K-4 students whenever possible to encourage activity and social playtime. Our threshold for cold weather is 20 degrees. When the temperature falls below 20, students will have recess indoors. The 20 degree temperature would also include wind chill. In other words, if the temperature is 25 but the windchill falls below 20 degrees, students would remain indoors for recess. If students are not feeling well or a parent wants them to stay in for health reasons beyond 1-2 days, a doctor's note is required.
- Birthday Treat Policy: While we love to celebrate, please remember there is a "no birthday treats" guideline. To access fun and helpful resources for healthy celebration ideas, please visit: http://www.warren.k12.in.us/wellness #wellnesswarriors #WEaretheKey
- Visitors Background Checks: Volunteers must have a valid background check on file in the front office as well as be included on a students emergency contact form for any type of school volunteer opportunities. If you would like to complete this process or have any questions please stop by our front office.
- Student Absences: If your child is ill and will not be at school, please call the front office at 532-1850 to report his/her absence. Please call and report if your child will be arriving late to school due to a doctor’s appointment. Doing so helps us to know that your child is safe and with you.
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbooks should have came home with your student last week. If you did not receive a copy with the signature page please contact your child's teacher. These are also available throughout our school and district’s website. This web link will direct you to that page. http://www.warren.k12.in.us/student-rights-responsibilities
Senate Bill 355 - Parent Information
Dear Warren Family,
During the 2017-18 Legislative Session, State Lawmakers passed Senate Bill 355, which required all public schools to provide age appropriate research, evidence-based instruction, and child abuse education and policies on child abuse and child sexual abuse to students in kindergarten through grade 12.
Beginning on December 17, 2018 your child’s school will be using the Think First & Stay Safe child personal safety program. Think First & Stay Safe teaches students skills to help them stay safe. Presentations will be given by the Indiana University School of Social Work, Marion County Department of Child Services, and Warren staff and administration. Our learners will be taught the importance of treating one another with kindness and respect. They will also learn about personal boundaries and their right to have their boundaries respected by others. The program’s interactive lessons help children differentiate between healthy and unhealthy behaviors. The program gives students regular reminders that trusted adults are available to help with their safety, and are available to talk to any time.
If you have any questions about the Think First & Stay Safe curriculum, please do not hesitate to contact your building principal. Working together, we can all help to ensure the health and personal safety of our children.
James Taylor, MSW
Director of Student Services
Estimada familia de Warren,
Durante la Sesión Legislativa 2017-18, los legisladores estatales aprobaron el Proyecto de Ley Senatorial 355, que exige que todas las escuelas públicas proporcionen a los estudiantes de kínder al grado 12 información apropiada para la edad de cada estudiante acerca de educación de abuso infantil.
A partir de 17 de diciembre de 2018, la escuela de su hijo utilizará el programa de seguridad infantil Think First & Stay Safe child. Think First & Stay Safe enseña a los estudiantes habilidades para ayudarlos a mantenerse seguros. Las presentaciones serán dadas por las personas de la Escuela de Trabajo Social de la Universidad IUPUI (Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis), el Departamento de Servicios de Protección al Menor del Condado de Marion, y los administradores y personal de Warren. A nuestros alumnos se les enseñará la importancia de tratar a los demás con amabilidad y respecto. También, aprenderán sobre los límites personales y su derecho a que otros respeten sus límites. La lecciones interactivas del programa ayudan a los niños a diferenciar entre comportamientos saludables y no saludables, El programa les Brinda a los estudiantes recordatorios regulares de que hay adultos de confianza disponibles para ayudarlos con su seguridad, y están disponibles para habla en cualquier momento.
Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre el programa de estudios Think First & Stay Safe, no dude en ponerse en contacto con el director de la escuela de su hijo/a.
Al trabajar juntos, todos podemos ayudar a garantizar la salud y la seguridad personal de los niños.
James Taylor, MSW
Director de Student Services
Notes from Nurse Kelly
Parents - If your student happens to have clothing borrowed from the clinic, please send those back into school with your student or drop off at the front office. I am running low on size 5, 6, 7, and 8 boys/girls pants if you have clothing that has been outgrown and is overcrowding your closets!
Lost and Found is overflowing once again. If your student is missing a coat, jacket, hat, lunch box, or gloves, please come to the school clinic to peruse our collection of unclaimed items. Any item not reclaimed by December 21 will be donated to local charities.
Lunch Time Reminders
Food Service Department News
If you need your username and password, just email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide you one.
Need to speak to someone in the Food Service Department? You can also call us at 317-869-4381 or 317-869-4389. To view the Food Service website, go to http://www.warren.k12.in.us/food-service.
Jason Brooks - Principal
Kathy Hench - Dean
Beverly Stephens –Secretary/Registrar
Donata Lux – Secretary/Treasurer
Kelly Woods – Nurse