South Row's Home Link
Week of: October 11th, 2021
Message from Mrs. Gilbert, Principal
We had a wonderful potato harvest with our garden partners Fresh Start this week. Every student harvested a potato!
Picture day is coming up on Wednesday October 13th, send your student with their best smile.
We have had a banner kick off week for our Fall into Reading Challenge. Keep up the reading at home! South Row students have already logged over 15,000 minutes!
The Pumpkin Fair is Saturday October 16th, we look forward to seeing you there!
Don't forget...no school on Monday October 11th, Columbus Day.
Week at a Glance
- No School, Columbus Day
- No events
- Pool Testing
- School Picture Day
- No events
- Chelmsford/South Row Spirit Day
- Pumpkin Fair, 4-6PM
Student Grade Level Meetings: October 18th
Early Release Day: October 19th. Students dismissed at 11:45AM - no lunches served on half days!
Save the date.. Our First Walk to School Day will be November 3rd! Details to follow!
Upcoming October Spirit Days
- Chelmsford/South Row Spirit Day - Friday, October 15th
- Orange/Black Spirit Day - Friday, October 29th
Reminders/ Updates for the Week
Parent Volunteer Opportunities: We are still in need of parent volunteers for the program(s) listed below. Please reach out to Ms. Gilbert (email@example.com) and Mr. Ramalho (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are willing to help. Both of these opportunities have detailed information from previous coordinators to assist with getting up and running. Thanks for your consideration!
- Walk to School Day Parent Coordinators & Helpers
- Members of Fourth Grade Activities Committee: Our first 4th grade activities meeting is Monday, October 18th at 6:30pm. This meeting will be taking place virtual. Fourth grade parents are encouraged to attend this meeting and get involved if you are able. Feel free to reach out to Mrs. Gilbert, Mr. Ramalho, or your child's classroom teacher with any questions. A link will be sent out (and included in Home Link) closer to the meeting. Thanks for your consideration!
- Library Volunteers: If you would be interested in volunteering in our school library please reach out to Maria Hamm email@example.com
ELL Staffing Update: Katie Jennings, our ELL teacher, will be leaving South Row this month. We wish her the best! Taylor Inman will be assuming the role of ELL teacher at South Row as of November 1st. Some of you may be familiar with Taylor she served as our ELL teacher at the end of last year. She is familiar with our school and our students and is very excited to get started.
South Row Gear that is outgrown: If you happen to have any South Row/Chelmsford gear that is outgrown, we will gladly accept donations. Please bring donations to the main office between 10am-2pm or have your child bring the donation to the main office.
School Council Community Member: We are still looking for a community member for our school council. The community member would be someone who lives in Chelmsford and has and interest in students and education and would be invested in the work we do. If you know of anyone that might be interested please have them reach out to Terri or Jayson.
Fall into Reading Challenge continues: In an effort increase reading outside of school our reading challenge continues. Teachers will send home a page of leaf templates on colored paper with each student. Each leaf will represent 20 minutes of reading and have a spot for the students name and the date. Students and families will be asked to cut the leaves out each time they read for 20 minutes or more and send them in to school. We will add the leaves to a bulletin board in the main lobby to highlight our students efforts with reading at home. There will be a challenge amongst grade levels to see which grade level reads the most books. The winning grade level will decide on a reward for their students. Each grade level will have different colored leaf paper to make the tracking easier. In order to include all levels of readers, families can read to or with a student as well as students reading independently. We will wrap up the challenge on October 29th.
Pirate School - Sea of Dreams Show - Free Tickets! Davey Zouzas reached out to the Chelmsford Police Athletic League and wants to donate 100 tickets (including a ticket for one parent and one child) to the Pirate School - Sea of Dreams show being performed at the Chelmsford Center for the Arts. The tickets are being donated through the Dacey Zouzas Endowment for the Arts. If you are interested, you can reserve tickets which will be held at the door. All you will need to do is email your name to: firstname.lastname@example.org Click on the link to the event flyer below. https://happsnow.com/event/the-chelmsford-center-for-the-arts/pirate-school-sea-of-dreams-XJJ1M
Families in need of Support: Please contact a member of our support team if the school can support your family as we approach the holiday season. As a reminder, our support team consists of the following individuals:
- Ms. Terri Gilbert, Principal, email@example.com
- Mr. Jayson Ramalho, Assistant Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Linda Rich, School Counselor, email@example.com
- Dr. Deirdre Brogan, School Psychologist, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Shannon Vandevoordt, School Nurse, email@example.com
- Ms. Katie Hicks, BCBA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pool Testing/Test and Stay: If you are interested in opting into either of these testing protocols please click on this link to complete the consent form: LINK
Picture Day - THIS WEEK - OCTOBER 13th, 2021
Dear South Row Families,
Test and Stay:
If you have not already done so, please consider signing up for our Test and Stay program!! Test and Stay is the only way to keep your student in school despite an in school Covid exposure. I suggest signing up ahead of time because it takes a few days for the consent to be uploaded to the system! If your child is identified as a close contact they will not be able to participate in the test and stay program until the consent is uploaded into the system!! Here is the link to the consent form: https://forms.gle/79Hv4twPifgrriM57
When to keep your student home from school:
If your child has a fever, new cough (meaning the health office does not have documentation of current asthma, tic, or other reason for cough), loss of taste or smell, shortness of breath/ difficulty breathing, or muscle aches please keep them home and consult their pediatrician or urgent care. These are “stand alone symptoms” meaning if your child has ONE of these symptoms they need either a negative Covid test or a note from a doctor stating they may return to school.
Symptoms such as headache, nasal congestion/runny nose, sore throat, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, or fatigue alone do not require a covid test or doctor’s note to return to school. If your student has two symptoms from this list then you must contact a doctor for a covid test or note. For example if your child has diarrhea and vomiting, you must consult a doctor and provide documentation before they can return to school.
Please feel free to reach out to me with questions or concerns.
Holiday Assistance - If you are in need of help please see the attached brochures
Chelmsford Special Education Parent Advisory Council
The PTO is delighted to announce that the Pumpkin Fair is back! It will be a scaled-back, all-outdoors version in the interest of safety, but we expect it to be a great time. Come to South Row on Saturday, October 16 from 4 to 6pm!
- Get your Fall decorations from our pumpkin patch (optional donations for pumpkins appreciated)
- Food trucks
- Make a Fall craft and decorate your pumpkin on-site or with take-and-make kits
- Have seasonal family photos snapped at our staged photo area (think holiday cards!)
- Make a healthy snack with the Garden Committee
- Play with friends on the playground
We could use a few more hands to help out with the event. During-event shifts are broken into one-hour segments so you can volunteer and have time to enjoy the Pumpkin Fair with your family. Please visit tinyurl.com/srptopfvols to sign up.
We hope to see you there!
South Row Gear Sale
Thank you for your support and patience while the glitch in our South Row Gear was resolved. We are happy to report the site is working now- all items are available and there is no limit to how many you can purchase in each transaction! https://south-row-pto.square.site/shop/2 Orders should be placed by midnight Friday October 15th. We hope to have your items available to either send home with your child or for pickup prior to the Thanksgiving Recess. More details relating to the selection of pickup options will be communicated as they become available.
October 5th, 2021 School Committee Meeting
HIGH FIVE FRIDAY AT SOUTH ROW!
September Fun Video
SOUTH ROW'S PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
Fall into Reading Challenge!
Potato Harvest with Fresh Start
4D excited to write their rhythm answers on the clear touch!
Fun times in PE!
Pride Shout Outs
Contact the South Row Administrative Team!
Mr. Jayson Ramalho, M.Ed.
Contact the Main Office Staff
- Mrs. Terri Gilbert, Principal: email@example.com, 978-251-5177 ext. 4
- Mr. Jayson Ramalho, Assistant Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-251-5177 ext. 3
- Mrs. Shannon Vandevoordt, School Nurse: email@example.com, 978-251-5177, ext.2
- Mrs. Debbie O'Neill, Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-251-5177, ext. 0
- Mrs. Kim Sepe, School Clerk: email@example.com, 978-251-5177, ext.0
- Absentee Line: 978-251-5177 ext. 1