Weekly News: Week of 8/29/22
Message from the Principal
Dear Kimball Hill Parents,
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! As a reminder, this week is our back to school event on Wednesday evening hosted by our PTA. Details are below.
The week of September 12th, our students will be participating in Safety Week. During this time, we will conduct all state required practice drills so that we are all prepared in the event we have an emergency. We will practice a fire drill observed by the Rolling Meadows Fire Department, a lockdown drill observed by the Rolling Meadows Police Department, a Shelter in Place drill and a Relocation drill where we will walk to the Rolling Meadows Community Church at the corner. All students will be informed that these are practice drills and that we are all safe. Please feel free to talk with your child about the importance of practicing these safety drills. Parents have the ability to opt out of the Lockdown drill by email to your child's teacher (by September 6th). We strongly encourage all students to participate in every drill so they are aware of procedures and expectations. I will send an email update once each drill has been completed every day the week of the 12th.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me with any major concerns, feedback or questions. Have a wonderful weekend!
Kimball Hill Principal
Back to School Celebration- Hosted by PTA
Just a reminder- school begins at 8:25am. Those not in need of a breakfast should arrive to school closer to 8:20am. Doors will open for breakfast at 8:10am. If your child needs a breakfast, they can grab a breakfast bag between 8:10-8:20 am from the lunchroom. Students that arrive past 8:25am will receive a tardy pass.
Mon - Thurs
8:25 am - 3:05 pm
KDG AM: 8:25 am - 11:00 am
KDG PM: 12:30-3:05 pm
8:25 am - 2:15 pm
KDG AM: 8:25 - 10:35 am
KDG PM: 12:05 - 2:15 pm
LUNCH: 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
If you are in need of before school care, please call the main office for information for REC childcare through the RM Park, housed at Kimball Hill or you can call the RM Park District for assistance.
Please support our school PTA and become a member! It is a great way to get involved! You can give as little or as much time as you have! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
School Street Update
Student safety is always our highest priority at Kimball Hill School, so maintaining a safe drop-off and pick-up routine is essential. To support arrival and dismissal times, I have been in consultation with the City of Rolling Meadows and the Rolling Meadows Police Department. The following changes by School Street will occur as a result of these discussions:
- Old, incorrect signage will be replaced as soon as possible. New signage will include language that reflects current safety expectations.
- When possible, we will have additional police presence during arrival and dismissal time. This is a result of concerns that have been observed, including high rate of speed, verbal altercations, and drivers not adhering to posted traffic signs.
- School Street expectations will be clarified
- “Turn off your engine” sign will be removed.
- The north side of the street is a No Parking zone.
- The south side of the street (closest to the school) will be identified as a drop-off/pick-up zone, thus no parking. You must remain in your vehicle at all times.
- Parking on School Street is permitted in various areas further down on School Street, beyond the school property if you would like to walk your child to the door. Please refer to traffic signs.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. When we all work together, our arrival and dismissal routines are safe and efficient. Below are our general procedures for front and side (School Street) drop off and pick up.
Arrival/Departure General Procedures:
Kimball Hill Bells:
1st Bell: 8:10 a.m. - Doors open for students who are in need of breakfast. We do recommend students arrive closer to the bell at 8:20 if they do NOT need a breakfast bag. Students can enter through the main entrance, door 10 by School Street and Door 8 by LRC.
2nd Bell: 8:25 a.m. - Classes will begin. At this time, all exterior doors are locked except for the main entrance. Students who arrive late (after 8:25 a.m.) must enter through the front door. Parents MUST sign them into the main office.
A.M. Procedures: During AM drop off times, the front parking lot is closed. We encourage all families to utilize our drop off procedure rather than “the park and walk in” method. Our drop off method is designed to build independence and confidence of our students, provide a safe experience and is the most efficient method for the high volume of vehicles dropping off students. If you need to park and come inside, please use street parking (further down from school property), follow street signs. You can drop off on School Street and students can use Door 10 by School Street for a more convenient entry. Again, please follow traffic signs. No child should be unsupervised on campus before school begins. The side staff parking lot (next to Jewel Osco) is reserved for buses and staff parking. The front parking lot is for staff only. Please do not park in these lots and we kindly ask that you do not move our school cones to drop off students or pick up students in these areas. Dismissal procedures will be provided from your child's teacher.
- If you use the semi-circle in front of school to drop off, all vehicles should enter at the north end of the circle drive and exit at the south end. There will be one lane of traffic.
- Pull up as far as possible toward the stop sign to let out your child. Each child should get out of the car on the curb side. Parents should remain in their cars as this will help the line to flow and prevent congestion. Staff will be out front to help students get out of their cars and into the building each morning.
- Both A.M. and P.M. Kindergarten will be dropped off at the front of the building, as well. Staff will be there to receive these students and help them get to their classroom.
- If you are dropping off your child for the REC program around 8:10 a.m., please park in the parking lot—NOT the circle drive—and use the crosswalk to bring your child into the building.
- All vehicles using the front semi-circle should enter at the north end and exit at the south end; otherwise please feel free to use street parking.
- Please continue to pull all the way forward to allow for a continuous, safe flow of cars.
- Parents will need to remain in their car when their student(s) enters the vehicle.
- Staff will assist to ensure your child gets to your car safely.
- Please remind your child to enter the car on the side of the school, if possible.
- Feel free to display your child's name and teacher/grade in windshield.
- To avoid a bottleneck, please consider using School Street to pick up or park along School Street (further down past school property, following street signs).
Walking to School/Crossing Guards: If your child walks to school, we have adult crossing guards that are provided by the Rolling Meadows Police Department. Please take advantage of these services at the following locations:
- Kirchoff and Meadow
- School Street and Meadow
- Campbell and Meadow