Crow Island Parent Newsletter
October 24, 2022
Dear Crow Island Families,
It was nice to have many of our kindergarten parents visit on Friday to help us celebrate our butterfly migration at Crow Island. We tried something new with an outdoor concert and it was a success. Our kindergarten students worked hard to practice and showcase their hard work and we appreciate all the families that helped us celebrate.
This week, we have a lot of learning planned at Crow Island. I want to remind families about our Halloween festivities at Crow Island. You can learn more below with the linked document.
Have a great week!
- Monday, October 24th: Picture Retake Day
- Monday, October 31st: Halloween
- Tuesday, November 1st: Institute Day Non-Attendance for students
- Tuesday, November 8th: Non-Attendance Day for Students (Election Day)
- Monday, November 21st: Thanksgiving Break starts - Non-Attendance for students
- Wednesday, November 30th: Crow Island Book Fair 2-7pm
- Thursday, December 1st: Crow Island Book Fair 8-10am
We are excited to celebrate Halloween at Crow Island. Please review our plan to celebrate at school. Teachers will also send out more information. Halloween 22-23. A few important notes:
- Parents can send their children with costumes and students can change for the afternoon activities at school. Lunch will run as a normal lunch day so you do not need to pick-up child for a costume change.
- Classroom celebrations: The two room parents and classroom photographer will be in school for the classroom celebrations. Room parents will coordinate with families if they need support. Please do not send any food items. Room parent volunteers/photographers will have their names on a list at the front desk, please bring your ID to check-in when you arrive.
- If for some reason we have rain, we will communicate out a plan by Friday as we get closer to making any of those decisions.
2022 Downsized Capital Improvement Plan: Referendum
As a member of The Winnetka Public School community, we want to ensure you are informed about the improvements to all five schools as part of the 2022 Downsized Capital Improvement Plan: Referendum, which was adopted as a resolution by the School Board on August 16th and will be on the ballot November 8th. You are invited to attend an upcoming informational session, in person or via Zoom. Please see the image below for further information, or visit our website at www.winnetka36.org.
Fall Winnetka Parents Institute Schedule
The District is offering an array of upcoming educational sessions for families and community members. Click here for a complete list of session dates and more information. Fall sessions include SEL-related topics and technology tips for parents regarding maneuvering the ever-changing landscape of technology, social media, and phones. Up next:
Emotions Matter and an Introduction to RULER
Sachiko Kawata-Burke and Allison Szczecinski(District 36 SEL Coaches)
This overview presentation for parents will provide a more in-depth understanding of the emotions matter mindset and the RULER skills and tools. We will also share how RULER will be integrated into the classroom and applies to life at home. This presentation is geared for parents and caregivers of Winnetka 36 students. You can learn more about the RULER framework here.
October 26, 2022
The Community Room; Skokie School
Following the event a link will be provided to the taped presentation on the website.
Technology Survival Skills for Parents
Patrick Dawson, Instructional Technology Coordinator
Maneuvering the ever-changing landscape of technology, social media, and phones for students is a daunting task for any parents. This session will increase parent awareness and provide basic skills of how to maneuver through platforms, identify warning signs to look for, and hopefully reduce the stress of parenting students online in addition to in-person.
November 14, 2022
1:00 PM-2:00 PM
Resource Center at Washburne School (confirmed)
Parent Education Sessions from District Partner Family Action Network (FAN):
For upcoming events, access FAN’s website here.
Follow us on Social Media!
Please follow the District via the following social media platforms in order to see day-to-day happenings and more.
- Facebook and Twitter: @Winnetka36
- Instagram: @WinnetkaPublicSchools