by Decoda Gashler
- This shows a man from a successful political party giving jobs to his supporters
- So everyone who wasn't a part of the political party never got anything.
- It also shows how people were fighting for jobs and would take anything they could get.
"Spoils System | Politics". 2016.Encyclopedia Britannica. Accessed September 16 https://www.britannica.com/topic/spoils-system
"Spoils System • Images Video Information". 2016. Images Video Information. Accessed September 15 2016. http://sciencepole.com/spoils-system/.
United states federal law was created in 1883, which established that position within the federal government should be awarded on the basis of merit instead of political affiliation.
- The federal government was hit because now they are awarded by merits instead of political affiliation.
- We can see in the picture how the government didn't like this and it crushed them.
- It shows how they were so high and mighty and then their dreams were just crushed by the Civil Service Bill.
"Vocabulary". 1970. Smore. Accessed September 16 2016.http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Civil_Service_Act_of_1883.aspx
"Mrshively [Licensed For Non-Commercial Use Only] / Pendleton Act". 2016.Mrshively.Pbworks.Com. Accessed September 15 2016. http://mrshively.pbworks.com/w/page/33768205/Pendleton%20Act.
party of morality
- It shows what people thought if you mixed religion with politics.
- This organization was looked at like politics used religion to speak to people but then were looked at in the wrong way.
- People believed that they tried to portrait Jesus as a politician and how America looks
"Moral Majority". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Majority
"Deism | The Neoconservative Christian Right". 2015.Oneway2day.Wordpress.Com. Accessed September 15 2016. https://oneway2day.wordpress.com/tag/deism/.
Interstate Commerce Commission
- It shows how the United States was growing and had to teach people on what we need to do.
- We can see that we need to study on how to make this country prosper into greatness but nobody wanted to do the work cause there was so much to do.
- The U.S. was growing and railroads were being spread to help the country.
"Interstate Commerce Commission". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Commerce_Commission
Interstate Commerce Commission". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 15 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Commerce_Commission.
Sherman Antitrust Act
- It shows cars full of supplies but they are being blocked by monopolistic trust.
- on the side it says " Federal Trucks Commission" and seems like its the only thing that could get through.
- It also shows how on the highway of competition are trying to get past but the people inside don't want them to cause they don't want to compete aginst others.
"Gale - Enter Product Login". 2016.Ic.Galegroup.Com. Accessed September 16 2016. http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/uhic/topic/actionWin?scanId=&query=&prodId=&showDisambiguation=&p=&mode=view&catId=GALE%7C00000000MXMI&u=&limiter=&contentModules=&displayGroups=&display-query=&action=e&windowstate=normal&resetBreadCrumb=
- Shows how regular people had more power than a group of political people cause they had to work for their money
- Shows how regular people had to work to for better pay and for jobs while others had to just get people to make them more money.
- Many people had to work to build their populist foundation.
"Populism". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism
"Hightower Lowdown | Seeds Of A Movement: A 21St Century Populist Renewal Is Flourishing At America's Grassroots". 2016. https://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/3543
- The United States tried to promote families to get into agriculture
- Within the small picture it shows families doing things from farming and making cheese.
- With families going into agriculture if would help produce food and with the great depression it would help the United States.
"National Grange Of The Order Of Patrons Of Husbandry". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Grange_of_the_Order_of_Patrons_of_Husbandry
- Taxes took a big chunk of people's money causing them to lose things they wanted to help pay their taxes
- By paying taxes it help build things around the cities to help improve the population and to improve such things as working conditions making them easier.
- No one like taxes cause it was the federal government taking money from poor people who needed everything they could get.
"Sixteenth Amendment To The United States Constitution". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
"The Anti-Donut Party » 16Th Amendment". 2012. The Anti-Donut Party. Accessed September 15 2016. http://www.antidonutparty.com/tag/16th-amendment/.
William Jennings Bryan
American orator and politician from Nebraska and a dominant force in the populist wing of the Democratic Party, standing three times as the party’s nominee for President of the United States.
- William always tried to speak with the people and please them.
- As we can see he was the king because he spoke to the people and listened to them as if he was god trying to plant his beliefs to make things great for the country.
- He would also try to speak in the beliefs of people and try to connect with others through religion.
"William Jennings Bryan | American Politician". 2015. Encyclopedia Britannica. Accessed September 16 2016.https://www.britannica.com/biography/William-Jennings-Bryan
Jim Crow Laws
When southern legislatures directed against blacks at the end of the 19th century. These became known as Jim crow Laws.
- We can see how the Jim Crow Law was a big factor in segregation, white folk were treated mush better and had nicer things then people of other nationality.
- This is just a slight way of showing how African Americans were treated.
- The Jim Crow Law wasn't a great thing for blacks as they were put in terrible conditions.
"Jim Crow Laws". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 16 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
Ida B. Wells
- We can see that an African American is sitting in the "white car" of a train and won't move. Kinda like rosa parks. This helps show how Ida B Wells tried to lead the Civil Rights Movement.
- At the top you can see "civil disobedience" which helps explain what is going to happen in the pictures.
- In the second picture we can see how she fighting for her right to stay on the train. An in the second we can see that she but him. This is just a slight way to show how African Americans fought for there rights.
2016. Biography.Com. Accessed September 16 2016.http://www.biography.com/people/ida-b-wells-9527635
2014. Hark! A Vagrant:. Accessed September 15 2016. http://beatonna.tumblr.com/post/84241399650/i-made-some-comics-about-ida-b-wells-and-then-i.
- We can see that "BIG MONEY" wants a senator and will just buy his way to repeal the 17th amendment .
- People couldn't vote for a senator, senators were elected by legislators so many people would buy the legislators so therefore they could pick for who they wanted.
- It's what they wanted so they could get and do as they pleased.
"U.S. Senate: Direct Election Of Senators". 2016. Senate.Gov. Accessed September 16 2016. http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Direct_Election_Senators.htm
BAGLEY, PAT. 2016. "Bagley Cartoon: 17Th Amendment". The Salt Lake Tribune. Accessed September 15 2016. http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3577987-155/17th-amendment.
18th Amendment United States Constitution effectively established the prohibition of alcoholic beverages in the United State by declaring the production transport and sale of alcohol to be illegal
- This photo shows these bottles of liquor marching and protesting so that people do buy them because "it's a waste of grain" and how they "make people poor"
- By the U.S. making, selling and transporting alcohol illegal, would help the economy save money and prevent crimes.
- The bottles then show how bad they are and they say nothing good about themselves just to show how and why the government made it illegal
"Eighteenth Amendment To The United States Constitution". 2016. Wikipedia. Accessed September 15 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
"Political Cartoons". 2016. The Roaring '20S. Accessed September 15 2016. http://explorethe1920s.weebly.com/political-cartoons.html .
- This picture can helps express how women need to be stronger and stand up for them self for what they want.
- "What can I Do" seems like some male asking if a girl is capable of doing this on her own
- This picture helps show that women are strong independent people, no different them males
"19Th Amendment - Women’S History - HISTORY.Com". 2016. HISTORY.Com. Accessed September 15 2016. http://www.history.com/topics/womens-history/19th-amendment
2016, Glogster. 2016. "19Th Amendment | Publish With Glogster!".Glogster. Accessed September 15 2016. http://www.glogster.com/mclarinator/19th-amendment/g-6m1sg8kmjiaripton9uqra0?old_view=True.
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory
- As we can see there is a man holding the door shut not letting anyone out while there's a fire inside. Many people died cause the owners locked the doors so there workers wouldn't steal from them.
- We could also look at this picture in a different perspective as inside the buildings conditions were rough and while the boss on the outside only had one job and that was to keep people inside to make a profit.
- Many people died during this fire and i cause the government to take a look at working conditions and help fix it.
"Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.Com". 2016.HISTORY.Com. Accessed September 15 2016. http://www.history.com/topics/triangle-shirtwaist-C
"The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Trial: Selected Images". 2016. Law2.Umkc.Edu. Accessed September 15 2016. http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/triangle/triangleimages.html.