Blue Devil Blast
Volume I, Issue 13 - October 29, 2021
Dr. Looney's Message
8th Grade Parents: be sure to check out the information below about making your child's high school selection for next year.
Progress Reports go out next Friday, so parents watch for them in your email Inbox at the end of the upcoming week. You can also check the portal at any time.
Have a great Halloween weekend.
The Coming Month
- November 3 - Band Cluster Concert, 7pm
- November 4 - Orchestra Cluster Concert, 7pm
- November 5 - Progress Reports Go Home
- November 6 - Orchestra GMEA
- November 9 - Digital Learning Day #3
- November 13 - Basketball at Coleman MS (Duluth HS)
- November 13 - JLC Raider Competition at Shiloh MS
- November 13 - All State Chorus Auditions
- November 13 - District 13 Honor Orchestra
- November 17 - Picture Makeup Day
- November 18 - Basketball vs. Pinckneyville (Summerour)
- November 19 - Career Day (career volunteers needed)
- November 22 - 26 - Thanksgiving/Fall Break
G.I.F.T.S. to Skate-A-Long USA
Last weekend, OUR G.I.F.T.S. had a great time at Skate-A-Long USA on Beaver Ruin Road, where they had a great time. They were also praised by staff for their well-mannered, respectful behavior. Way to represent, ladies!
G.I.F.T.S. (Girls In Focus To Succeed) is a girls’ group focused on equipping girls to be young ladies. It is a place where a girl can gain the knowledge and confidence to become the person that they truly want to be. Our mission is to equip girls with the skills to express themselves like young ladies, understand their feelings, use the power of their voice and be a positive role model. We structure our work around four central values: Authentic Communication, Courageous Growth, Equity and Social awareness.
Khan Academy 48% in November!
This month's goal is 48% progress level on Khan Academy by the end of November. We are giving incentives out each month. We also have a Khan Saturday Program - ask your math teacher to join!
Grade Level News You Can Use
- Please ask your children about upcoming Saturday opportunities for Math and ELA. Our next session is November 6th, here in the building.
- Are you interested in speaking to our students about your career on Career Day? We'd love to hear from you. Please contact Lenie George at email@example.com
- We have a Khan Academy push for Summerour. Each math teacher has already assigned homework - the progress level should be 48% by the end of November.
Mr. Lenie George
6th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Pam Griswell
6th Grade Counselor
What Are Students Learning Next Week?
MATH - 7th-grade math students are finishing up writing and solving inequalities and equations. Their test is Thursday 11/4! Accelerated math students are starting transformations.
LANGUAGE ARTS - Students will continue to read informational texts and analyze how authors develop their purpose in texts.
SCIENCE - Students are exploring genetic variation.
SOCIAL STUDIES - Students will be learning and researching about the different economic systems used by various middle eastern countries.
7th Grade Upcoming Assessment Dates
11/8 - Unit 4
11/5 -Standard Math Unit 2
11/10 - Accelerated Geometry Test
11/17 - Tentative date
12/16 - tentative date
Mr. Stacy James
7th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Yunilda Valdez
7th Grade Counselor
8th Grade Students have the unique opportunity to choose the high school they wish to attend next year, either Norcross High School or Paul Duke STEM. We have found that students make the best choice by learning about both high schools and choosing the school that best fits your interests. An overview of the high school selection process is available online at https://bit.ly/NorcrossClusterHS22. Please review this information and pay special attention to the dates of the upcoming information meetings where you can learn more.
Begin by familiarizing yourselves with both schools by visiting the school websites at PaulDukeSTEM.org and NorcrossHigh.org. Students will select which high school they will attend and which elective classes they would like to take after the Thanksgiving break. We hope you will attend one or more of the upcoming meeting to learn more about Norcross High School and/or Paul Duke STEM High School.
Mrs. Christy Gray
8th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Robin Blackwell
8th Grade Counselor
Mrs. Kimberly Blackshear
Gear Up/ Special Education Counselor
Engineering: CAD Design & Robotics
The high school students were here to pump interest in the really cool, high school-level programs. We are grateful for their time and energy. Thank you!
Social Media Challenges
Congratulations to Ms. Valdez, who is currently out on maternity leave with her newborn!
If your 7th grader needs assistance, you can reach out temporarily to Ms. Blackshear.
7th Grade Counselor
Athletics & Clubs
2021 - 2022 Basketball Rosters
Coach Turner is proud to announce the 2021-2022 Girls' Basketball Roster!
Coach Kloser is proud to announce the 2021-2022 Boys' Basketball Roster!