MUSTANG PARENT ALERT
T. L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy
October 2022 Monthly Parent Newsletter
A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Hello Mustang Families!
We are fast approaching to the end of our first instructional quarter of the school year. Our students will take Quarter 1 common assessments this month and our teachers will be engaged in analyzing all data to plan appropriately for Quarter 2. Our Fall parent conferences will be held on Monday, October 24, 2022, and will be a time for you to talk with your child's teacher and review their progress.
October is a busy month on our campus as we officially kick off our campus clubs and activities. I do want to ensure that everyone knows that participation in any extracurricular activity at Marsalis is a privilege. Students must exhibit our Marsalis standards of "being respectful, responsible and ready to learn" in order to represent our campus in any fashion. Please talk with your child about appropriate behavior, following directions and good sportsmanship. These traits are #1 for participation.
As a reminder, our campus is a uniform campus. ALL students are to be in the correct school uniform each day. Khaki bottoms are our only allowed bottoms, not blue or black. Jeans are not allowed on Friday unless an announcement is made for a special dress day event. Masks will continue to be optional in accordance with district protocols. We are looking forward to another great month at Marsalis! Please let us know if you have any questions.
WOODS' WORDS OF WISDOM
Congratulations to Mrs. Rios' homeroom section, 5D, for winning our September Attendance Awareness Month campaign. Their attendance average was 99%. Fantastic! I am also excited that our overall campus average was over 96% so we are well on our way to meeting our goal of 97% overall attendance for the school year. As a reminder, our focus is to make sure that our Marsalis community learns about the effects attendance can have on academic performance and success. School attendance is essential to academic success and frequent absences, excused or unexcused, can add up to academic trouble. Please help us ensure that our scholars have every opportunity to be successful by making sure they are at school everyday. In the event that your child has to be absent, please contact the teacher for missed assignments.
As we enter the midpoint of our first semester, our students are getting adjusted to our campus. I am encouraging everyone to follow our "Marsalis Way" by kindly reminding your child about the importance of kindness, courtesy and personal space. Help them to remember to keep their hands and feet to themselves, as well as refrain from making unkind comments to their fellow classmates. It is also important for our students to follow our #1 expectation at Marsalis - Follow directions the first time they are given. If we continue working together, I am confident that Marsalis will remain one of the top elementary schools in our district!
Your Assistant Principal,
COMMON ASSESSMENTS THIS WEEK
FALL PLANTING SEASON IS HERE!
We will be conducting our Fall planting in the outdoor learning lab Thursday afternoon, October 13, 2022. If you have gardening experience and would like to assist our students with cleaning out the vegetable beds and planting vegetables for our next harvest. Please let Ms. Ingram know at Tingram@dallasisd.org. We need 4-5 volunteers for about two hours.
Grandparents' Day 2022
Thank you all for an outstanding return to in-person events on our campus! This was our first Grandparents' Day since the pandemic and it was awesome. Can't wait until next year!
MUSTANGS GET INVOLVED!
Our clubs are ramping up and we are excited for all the new faces that are interested in participating in our campus and district extracurricular activities. Parents, if your child is participating, please make sure you also keep a calendar of their meeting days and times.
FALL PLANTING SEASON IS HERE!
Grandparents' Day 2022
OCTOBER CALENDAR OF EVENTS - CLICK HERE!
Meet our counselor, Ms. Telisa Ingram. Visit her counseling website at
One of our STEAM Academy commitments is to the social and emotional learning of our students. Each morning our students participate in a "SEL MEET UP" with their homeroom teachers and fellow classmates. This daily activity is the building block for our classroom communities. Our SEL focus for October will focus on:
1) Demonstrating an awareness of one's emotions, thoughts, and values
2) Considering the well-being and safety of self and others when making decisions
EDUCATION GO GET IT! WEEK
Thank you parents for helping to make our "Education Go Get It! Week" a success! Our grade 3-5 students' projects have been graded and will be displayed in each grade level's hallway. You will be able to see them during Parent Conference night on October 24, 2022.
UPCOMING OCTOBER RECOGNITION WEEKS:
October 17-21: Character Counts Week
October 24-28: Red Ribbon Week
Flyers will be sent home this week for our special event days.
STUDENT COUNCIL UPDATES:
Representatives from each homeroom in grades 2-5 have been selected as representatives for the 2022-2023 Marsalis Student Council. These students will participate in a Leadership Camp in preparation for the upcoming officer elections which will be held in November. The students will be making campaign posters and giving speeches prior to the election.
REMINDERS FROM NURSE POOLE
Congratulations to our Marvelous Mustang, Mrs. Yolanda Jones!
MARSALIS ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Our school opens at 7:30 a.m. Only bus riders and PK3 students need to enter at the Scottsboro (bus lane) door. All other students must enter at the front entrance.
- School begins at 8:00 a.m. and a student is tardy at 8:15 a.m. Recording of tardies will begin this week and can affect your child's overall attendance.
- Students begin picking up breakfast from the cafeteria with their teachers at 7:45 a.m. and eat in their classrooms. Breakfast concludes at 8:15 a.m. All students who arrive after this time will miss the breakfast period.
- Dismissal begins at 3:15 p.m. If you would like to pick your child up early, they will need to be picked up prior to 2:45 p.m. Please understand that your child will be missing valuable instruction and parent conferences will be held for students who have frequent early releases.
- If your child is a bus rider or is being picked up by a daycare facility, please be sure to notify your child's teacher.
PARENT PICKUP PROCEDURES
- All persons picking up students will need to have photo ID ready to show. Our scholars will only be released to the persons listed on their enrollment history. If you need to update this information, please contact Mrs. Garcia, CRC, at 972-749-3512.
STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER(S)
- Our Marsalis grade level Google sites are officially live now. Check out our school website (www.dallasisd.org/marsalis) for access. These sites will provide you with specific information and resources for your child's specific grade level. Click on our "Academics" tab and select "Grade Level Classes" to locate the teachers' pages.
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
Please share with your child(ren) the importance of bus safety. Students are to wear seatbelts, if applicable, obey the bus drivers' directives, keep their hands and belongings to themselves and most importantly, stay seated while on the bus. Parents, also remember to be at the appropriate bus pickup locations on time. Our bus drivers routes do not service Marsalis only and must stay on schedule.
Students are expected to be in the correct school uniform each day. Parents will be called to bring the appropriate clothing if students are out of dress code. Please be reminded that the only color for uniform bottoms is khaki.