Somerset ES Staff Bulletin
Week of October 17th
FREE THE CHILD'S POTENTIAL, AND YOU WILL TRANSFORM HIM INTO THE WORLD. - MARIA MONTESSORI
Events This Week
Sunday (10/16) - Back to School Classic Race
Leadership Team Members out for Training on Culturally Responsive Teaching
(Danielle Teacher in Charge)
5:00-8:30 PM - NAACP Kick Off Meeting - Gaithersburg HS (Kelly and Maureen attend)
8:30-8:40 Support Services Evaluation Year Meeting (Conference Room)
9:15-10:30 Core Team Meeting
IEP/EMT -- Coverage
9:30 Traywick -- Lambert-Wiliamson
10:30 Private School -- N/A
1:30 Berlin/Rudd -- Truppner/Leleck/L-W2:30 Sakaria -- Lambert-Williamson
Kelly out AM (Central Services Mtg)
Monday (10/24) - 10:00-11:00 Para Meeting & 3:45-4:45 Staff Meeting
Tuesday (10/25) - 1st Grade Quarterly Planning (AM)/K Quarterly Planning (PM)
Wednesday (10/26) - 3rd Grade Quarterly Planning (AM)/2nd Quarterly Planning (PM)
Thursday (10/27) - 4th Quarterly Planning (PM)
Friday (10/28) - 5th Grade Quarterly Planning (AM)
Monday (10/31) - Halloween Parade and Celebrations 1:50-3:15 PM
- Brooke, Tracy and Colleen for leading the Race Pep Rally this morning.
- Tracy for hosting participants of the SLJ Leadership Summit at Somerset this morning.
- Kat for always lending a helping hand.
- Kathryn for always helping with bus dismissal.
- Michelle for all her help with MAP testing and data sharing with teachers.
Happy Birthday to:
Announcements and Important Information
- The annual open enrollment for benefits including enrollment for calendar year 2017 flexible spending accounts will run from October 10, 2016 to November 4, 2016, for more information click here.
- Social Dues- $30 for full time staff, $15 for part time staff. We are asking for payments ASAP---checks made out to the Somerset Social Committee or cash in an envelope with your name on it. Either can be placed in Barbara Berlin’s box.
Halloween Update that will be in TIN to Parents:
- Our Halloween parade on October 31st, will begin at approximately 1:50 PM, weather and ground conditions permitting. The off campus Halloween parade route is as follows: We will walk out the front doors of the school, up Cumberland, left on Surrey, left on Dorset crossing over Warwick and left onto Deal and back into the building using the rear entrance. Lieutenant Davidov and fellow officers will monitor the walk and block off the streets as needed. In order for your child to participate in all of the events we will need parent approval. Please return the permission slip to your child’s teacher by October 27th. Parents and other visitors should plan to stand near the parade route. If it rains, we will transfer the fun inside and have the parade throughout the building ending in the All Purpose Room. Classroom parties will take place immediately following the parade. Please ask your room parent if you would like to volunteer or contribute.
We request that parents be mindful of appropriate costumes for the school setting and select costumes that reflect positive characters in place of aggressive or negative characters. Costume accessories of a violent nature, such as toy swords, knives, guns, pitch forks, etc. will not be permitted for the safety of our students. If any of these items are inadvertently brought to school, we will keep them in the main office to be picked up at the end of the school day. We also encourage that masks which obstruct your child’s vision not be worn to or at school. Costumes should be of the type that your child can change into with little or no assistance and should not be worn to school. Should you or your child have any questions about their costume or accessory, please do not hesitate to contact me. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this request.
We respect that some families choose not to participate in Halloween activities so alternate arrangements have been planned for those students’ enjoyment. Parents who prefer that their children not participate in the costume parade and/or party should fill out the permission slip and send it in to their child’s teacher. These students will meet in the Media Center once the afternoon activities begin. We welcome all parents to come and enjoy the festivities in either location with their children.