Pleasant Street School News
building a community of learners that strive for excellence
October 25, 2015
So long garden we will see you next year!
A Whole Lot of Learning in Kindergarten!
With Mrs. Goldthwaite, Ms. Plourde, and Mrs. Webb's classes we have a whole lot of learning happening in our three kindergarten classes! To follow is a short video of pictures in math centers, phonics lessons, and more!https://animoto.com/play/ELneF9PQ6ULQ2mMZfezKjA
Catch of the Day!
Pictured to the right is our prize winning "Catch of the Day" Giovanni.
Family Fun at Pleasant Street... Mark Your Calendars!
Please enjoy a short video of pictures from the Harvest Dance.
First Grade Author of TinkerBella and the Winter Fairy Friends
Mad Science -Week #3
New Third Grade Dictionaries-Thank you Elks Club #1837!
Members from the Athol/Orange Elks Lodge #1837 paid a visit to Mrs. Heidi Heuer and to Mrs. Eileen St. Jean's third grade classes this week to distribute new dictionaries to each of the students as part of their participation in the national Dictionary Project. The Dictionary Project was founded in 1995 by Mary French of Charleston, SC. It's primary focus is to promote literacy to children in third-grade as they transition from learning how to read to identifying and using resource information. Elks' lodges began participating in this project in 2004 and have since donated over 1 million dictionaries to third grade students nationally through participating ElksClub lodges.
Pictured from left to right are Elk's Club members, Roland "Woody" Woodbury, Heather Edwards, George Day, Ian Reed, Rick Marsh, Bob Day, and Alice Schevran. Students pictured are Julianna, Ava, Lorelai, Nathan, Isabella, and Joshua.
Free Breakfast & Lunch
As part of the 2010 Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act, Athol-Royalston Regional School District, along with other districts, now offers free meals to all students this school year.
- Breakfast menu for October
- Lunch menu for October
The Salvation Army Is Accepting Registrations for Holiday Giving
Please click on the link provided for more information about holiday programs offered through the Salvation Army.
Senator Gobi's Card Contest
Rules for the card contest are as follows:
- The theme is "My Favorite Christmas." This means children should draw a picture of their favorite holiday or winter time activity.
- The entry must be on a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of white construction paper.
- Colors should be kept to a minimum of four is possible.
- The student's name, address, age, grade, teacher, and school should be written clearly on the back of the paper.
- Entries must be returned to the Senator's office by November 1st to her address listed below.
Statehouse, Room 513
Boston, MA 02133
The winner of the contest will receive a $100 check a a pizza party for his or her class. The Honarable Mentions will receive $25 each. The Senator will schedule appointments with schools to present awards to those who are selected.
Pictured is Senator Brewer with a former winner of this Christmas Card contest.
Community Events & Postings
Do you have news to share or want to inform members of our school community about family friendly events in our area? if so, please email or forward a flyer or link.
Thank you :)
Mother Goose on the Loose Playgroup-Thursdays 10am—11:30am Valuing Our Children 217 Walnut St. Athol. For more information contact: Jen: 978-249-8467 x 22
Petersham Playgroup- Beginning on Thursday, Sept. 17th from 10-11:30 at the Petersham Center School. For more information please call Jennifer at Valuing Our Children 978-249-8467 x22
Harvest Party and Scavenger Hunt - Petersham Playgroup- Thursday October 29
Halloween Story Walk and Party- Thursday October 29, 10:00-11:30, Athol Public Library
The Common Thread for October-newsletter of the North Quabbin Community Coalition.
For other local events, happenings, and resources in this area... you can also check the North Quabbin Community Coalition website below:
These are not school sponsored events but are posted here as a public service for families in the greater North Quabbin community.
Upcoming Events...Mark your Calendars!
Upcoming Events and Dates!
- October 26, Afterschool Science with Mrs. Robinson & Mrs. Webb, 3:15-4:15 pm
- October 28, Half day, district professional development, noon dismissal, lunch is served
- October 29, Mad Science Afterschool Program, 3:15-4:15 pm
- November 2, PTO meeting, 5:30-6:30 pm, note the earlier time
- November 3, Community Reading Day
- November 11, Veteran's day holiday-no school
- November 14- Save the Date- 10:00-12:00- The Big Read