Eberts' Kindergarten T/Th
CAN'T BELIEVE IT IS MAY! HAPPY SPRING!
Literacy and Numeracy
This month we will be focusing on Spring Changes; including seeds, plants, birds, insects and baby animals. We will continue working on skills that we have learned throughout the year and begin to include blending 3 letter words, stretching out the letter sounds for writing, listening to and recalling facts, identifying story elements, rhyming, sequencing and sharing their learning in a variety of ways. We will also finish up the alphabet!! Hooray!! We will focus on Xx, Jj, Yy and then continue strengthening our understanding of vowel and consonant sounds and how they go together.
In Math, we will continue working on number sense, especially breaking apart numbers into two parts; exploring teen numbers, reviewing and building on 3D knowledge, learning about capacity and continuing length and mass measuring. As well, we will review concepts taught to date and deepen our understanding through games, discussion and math story books.
Looking forward to a great month!
Transitions for Grade One...
In order to help the transition to Grade One we will be making some small changes to our daily schedule.
- Morning drop off is going great! Students have adjusted well to this routine. It is a good time to start practicing independence by dropping your child off and having them walk the sidewalk down to the B den playground. Start slow, if you need to, and walk your child down the first few times and then work on letting them do it by themselves. Students shouldn't be going inside the school unless it is raining. EAs from our classroom and myself will be outside for supervision, along with the normal morning supervisors. Please note, that morning supervision does not start until 8:20. Students keep their backpacks outside and pick them up on the way inside when the bell rings.
- As well, for morning recess, we will be heading outside with the older students. We will have a snack about 10:05 and then head outside for recess from 10:25 – 10:37. This will get the students used to being outside with other classes, help them learn how to line up to come in to the school and how to deal with different situations that do arise on the playground. We will be going out with the students during this time to supervise. As the month goes on we may include some lunch recesses and afternoon recesses.
- Please be sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather!!
- Lastly, this is a great time of year to pick an outside pick up (after school) meeting spot. A few students are already meeting parents outside the B den playground or walking to meet their parents at a parking spot. Please let us know when you take this next step so we know to send your child to their meeting spot!
- Thank you for your support in growing independent students!
Coming up this month....
May 5th - Pizza hot lunch (if ordered) and Wear green day in support of mental health.
- Family Bike Safety Night (check school website for more information)
- SWIMMING - 1-2. Don't forget a suit and towel. Looking for 3 more volunteers!! Let me know or sign up on calendar outside of room.
May 12th - Field trip to the High School for a science experiment!! (information coming home Tuesday, May 3rd)
May 13th - Family Dance - this is such a fun event for families! Hope you can make it!
May 24th - NO SCHOOL - In lieu day
May 26th - Kraay Family Farm field trip - cost will be $10.50/student to cover busing and entrance fee - more information will be coming out for volunteers and permission forms
May 31st - Mary C Moore Library field trip - forms will be coming at a later date
June important dates:
June 7th - field trip to JJ Collett (more information coming and will need 2-3 volunteers)
June 16th - swimming 1-2 (looking for 4 volunteers)
June 21st- swimming 1-2 (looking for 4 volunteers)
June 23rd - LAST DAY - field trip to Safety City in Red Deer (pm). Will need 4 volunteers. (more information to come)
Hope you can pencil in some of these times for volunteering. We can not make things work without your support!!