Mrs. Hernandez's Family News
February 8, 2016
Important Information and Dates
Dates for Planning Ahead:
February 9-12, 2016 Kindness Spirit Week at PRS presented by Community 8 Learners
February 12, 2016 Family Valentine's Day Party
Feb. 15, 2016 Professional Learning Day-No School for Learners
February 26, 2016 120th day of school!
February 26, 2016-"Let's Pretend Hospital" Field Trip. WE LEAVE PROMPTLY AT 8 a.m.!!!
March 21-28, 2016 Spring Break Holidays
April 19 or 20, 2016-Lanark Field Trip (more info coming)
April 25, 2016 Professional Learning Day-No School for Learners
May 18, 2016-Field Trip to the Zoo
May 26, 2016 Last Day for Students
- Please make sure and write your learner's name in their jackets and sweatshirts. We a couple of Patriot hoodies that have gone unclaimed. So if your learner is missing one, please let me know.
- Also, please remember to send snacks for our learners daily.
A note from Mrs. Hernandez
As you know, February is a busy month with lots to celebrate. This week we will celebrate Valentine's Day with our family party on Friday, we are kicking off our Black History project, and we will begin learning about two significant Presidents of the United States. As you can see, we are going to be BUSY, but learning so much along the way. What an incredible way an authentic way to celebrate our learning through history and holidays!
Kindness Spirit Week
Monday-Show your spirit with your favorite Team Shirts
Tuesday-Be the Best Version of Yourself by dressing up as your favorite super hero!
Wednesday-Wear your neon colors and spread the colors of kindness.
Thursday-Wear your tropical wear
Friday-Show our unity by dressing up like a friend or a group day!
Cool Apps to Check Out at Home
First Grade Frenzy
Things to Work on at Home
- Most of our learners need extra practice with handwriting. We have begun doing this at school each morning by tracing and writing letters. I believe that they need this sort of direct instruction in order to create muscle memory for their hands. Check out this link for assistance with this skill: http://www.k12reader.com/worksheet/handwriting-practice-letters-a-z/view/
- Our learners need to practice reading at home each night for at least 20 minutes. This helps tremendously to build fluency. Also, for our struggling learners, continue to practice with the list of sight words and phrases that I sent home earlier.
- Begin practicing doubles fact fluency with our learners at home by making flash cards, or playing in the car, while cooking dinner, etc. Addition and Subtraction will come to them easier if they can memorize the following facts: 1+1=2, 2+2=4, 3+3=6, 4+4=8, 5+5=10, 6+6=12, 7+7=14, 8+8=16, 9+9=19, 10+10=20, 15+15=30, 20+20=40, 25+25=50, 50+50=100 and add more as they master these.
Let's Pretend Hospital Field Trip on February 26, 2016
All learners MUST be at school by 7:50 a.m. on this morning in order to go on the field trip. Our bus will leave promptly at 8:00 a.m. We can only have five chaperones per class due to space. I will upload a sign-up genius for you to sign-up on a first come-first serve basis. All chaperones will need to meet us there and it is preferred that we do not bring younger siblings due to the lack of space as well. The trip should last only two hours.
From Baptist Hospital:
December 14, 2015
During the week of February 19-26, 2016, we will conduct the 33rd annual Let’s Pretend Hospital for students. The purpose of the event, sponsored by Baptist Health, is to introduce students to a hospital atmosphere in a fun, educational, and non-threatening manner and to spark their interest in healthcare careers.
The program lasts approximately 60-120 minutes and will take place at the Institute for Patient Safety and Medical Simulation, 855 East South Blvd., Montgomery. “Pretend” rooms, such as an emergency room and nursery, will be set up utilizing actual hospital equipment. Volunteers from Baptist Health as well as students from area nursing and allied health schools will lead presentations in each room --- teaching and answering questions. Your child will go through the “hospital” with his or her class, just as if they were being admitted as a patient, and, at the end, will receive a goody bag to help them remember their trip.
Your child’s school will assume responsibility for transporting students to and from the Patient Safety and Medical Simulation facility. Baptist Health requires permission from a parent or guardian for the student to attend and permission for the child to be photographed. Baptist Health’s Marketing and Communications Department may use photographs for future promotional and publicity purposes. If you do not wish for your child to be photographed, please tell your teacher (who will communicate that to us when your child comes to the program).
We are looking forward to having your child visit with us. Please sign and return
the attached permission slip to your child’s teacher no later than February 12,2016. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 334-303-5278 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Morrisa F. Tuck
Morrisa F. Tuck
Manager, Volunteer Services and Foundation Development
We Have a Playground! What a Wonderful Day!
The Abyss Zone of the Ocean
Our Tube Worms
Construction of our Angler Fish
Did you know that the Angler Fish is the only source of light for the abyss? Ask your learner why!
Adding the paint
Learning about Narratives
What is a Narrative?
Our Class Narrative is now Complete
The Adventures of Ted and Dunker
A Center Project has now become our Illustration that accompanies our narrative
Learners created a city during center time one day and we got the great idea of adding Ted and Dunker and letting their creation become an illustration for our story! How exciting!
Mystery Readers & Mr. Matt Help to Foster the Love of Literacy in Our Learners
Congratulations to Shawn Austin for Reading 100 Books!
Independent Reading Time
Isn't it amazing what learners will do when they are given voice and choice, they choose to READ!!!!
Independent Reading Time
So this was after snack one day, one went to the carpet with a book and then two, then before you know they are all there reading independently.