The Friday Flyer
Boone Meadow - Back to School Info - August 2nd, 2019
Dear Boone Meadow Families –
We are incredibly excited to ring in the new school year! We met as a staff over the past couple of days to plan, cast vision, and prepare a hearty welcome for you and your children. These are definitely exciting times.
- Class assignment notification - Earlier today, (August 2nd) families should have received an email from ZCS notifying families of their elementary child's classroom placement for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. The email was sent directly from our central office (ESC) to your email account. If you have not received an email notifying you of your child's placement, please check your spam/clutter folders. If you still can not locate the communication, please feel free to call our office on Monday morning.
- Open House/Meet and Greet – On Monday evening, August 5th, (5:00-6:30) the school is open for all families in order to reconnect with classmates and visit your classroom. During this time, students can drop off school supplies, say hello to their teacher, and get those last few questions answered. Our first day of school in on Wednesday, August 7th.
Enjoy your weekend!
Tom Hundley, Principal
Car Rider Map & Info
Arrival/Dismissal Car Rider Procedures
Buses provide an excellent transportation option which results in efficiency for arrival and dismissal on our school campus. However, families always have the option to bring their children in cars, or they may walk or bike with their child to the building during fair weather days. We will have crossing guards available unless weather is inclement.
However, if you are planning to bring your child to school by car, please adhere to the following procedures. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- All car arrivals should enter the Boone Meadow campus via Eagle Church entrance/access road.
- When approaching BME lot at end of access road, Kindergarten-4th grade vehicles should form line in right lane. Signage will designate lanes.
- Preschool lane forms on the left.
- Wait for staff to motion you forward to begin drop off process.
- 1st-4th grade drop off begins at 7:50; Preschool drop off begins at 8:05; Kindergarten drop off begins at 8:50.
- All drop offs should occur at curb, unless a situation necessitates otherwise. Additional foot traffic at crosswalk delays arrival.
- Students must exit on curb side of vehicle.
- Please enter campus via Eagle Church access road as noted in arrival procedures above.
- Form lines (K-4th in right lane, and Preschool on left lane)
- Display name of student in front window (rear view mirror area) to assist with flow of students.
- Wait for staff to motion you forward.
Please note: We anticipate a large volume of personal vehicles during arrival and dismissal. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we fine-tune logistics during the first couple of weeks to ensure children are in their proper location.
Bus route and bus stop information was e-mailed to parents/guardians this week. If you did not receive an e-mail, you can confirm your route information on our district website under the Parent Tab.
Kindergarten Families: Please note that Kindergarten students do not begin school until 9:00AM. Kindy students can ride the bus to school if they are registered for either Early Start Spanish or the BRIDGE program (8:00-9:00). End of school day dismissal is at 2:30 for all students K-4th grades.
Director of Transportation: Amy Eaton
Direct Office Line: 317-873-1237 x11802
School Lunch Information
Elementary school lunch prices for the 2019-2020 school year are $2.65. Secondary lunch prices are $2.85.
Click here for more information regarding ZCS Food Services Department.
August 1 & 2 - Professional development days for staff/teachers
August 2 - Class assignments emailed by ESC to families (late afternoon)
August 5 - Open House/Meet and Greet - 5:00-6:30
August 7 - First day of school
August 15 - Picture Day
August 22 - Curriculum Night
- Kindergarten: 5:30 - 6:00 PM
- Grade 1: 6:00 - 6:30 PM
- Grade 2: 6:30 - 7:00 PM
- Grade 3: 7:00 - 7:30 PM
- Grade 4: 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM
August 29th & 30th - 4th grade to Camp Tecumseh
September 2 - Labor Day (no school)
September 25 - Jog-a-Thon (PTO fundraiser)
October 14-18 - Fall Break
November 11 - Veterans Day Program
November 13 & 14 - Student Conferences
- Student conferences held after school on 11/13 & throughout the day on 11/14
- Student e-day on the 14th
November 27-29 - Thanksgiving Break
December 23-January 3 - Winter Break
January 20 - MLK Jr. Day (no school)
February 5 - Global School Play Day
February 17 - Presidents Day (no school)
February 18 - Staff Professional Development Day (no school for students)
March 25 - Kindergarten Round-Up
March 27-April 3 - Spring Break
May 22 - Last Day of School
Important-Updated Immunization Requirements for 2019-2020
The Indiana State Department of Health school immunization requirements for 2019-2020 have been updated. Click here to view these new requirements as they have changed. Students who do not have the Hepatitis A series may need to get the first dose as soon as possible as there is a minimum interval of six calendar months between the first and second doses. Religious and medical objections to the immunization requirements must be updated and signed each school year. Please feel free to send updated immunization records to the health clinic as you receive them. Contact the school nurse or your physician’s office with any questions.
ZCS school nursing services are provided by St. Vincent/Ascension Health. Need a provider? Visit getstvincentcare.com.
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.