March 4, 1801-March 4, 1809
Aaron Burr and George Clintion
America at this time
- America is growing
- National Pride developing
- Louisiana purchase 1803
- Exploration of new territory
Key People of the Presidency
- Aaron Burr: Vice President
- George Clinton: Vice President
- Luis and Clark: Explorers
- John Marshall: Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
- James Madison: Secretary of State
- Henry Dearborn: Secretary of War
- Samuel Dexter: Secretary of Treasurer
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed at times with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty."
- Promotion of American Industry
- Embargo act: devastated New England Economy
- Believed strongly in agrarianism: citizens should grow their own food and sell the surplus for profit.
- He also encouraged them to make goods at home.
- Britain and France impressed American sailors.
- Embargo Act 1807- put in place to stop Britain and France from impressing sailors
- War with Barbary pirates
- Louisiana Purchase from Napoleon in 1803
- Wanted to eliminate the standing army
- Wanted the states to have the authority to operate with a small bureaucracy and regulate their own affairs.
- Reduce debts
- Weaken Federalist Influence