Monday, April 11, 2016
Truth, Justice, and the Charger Way!
A note from Mrs. Pistel
MAP testing begins this week! Today, please find a schedule of testing dates for the next four weeks. I know that sometimes absences cannot be avoided, but if all possible, please have your child at school on our testing days. It takes extra staff and time to make up tests and then your child will miss out on classroom instruction as well. Students who miss are also pulled from class and research proves that students score better when they test in their home rooms! Please do your best to make sure your child is in attendance every day!
Also, please help by making sure that your student goes to bed on time, and they eat a healthy breakfast. Students are encouraged to bring in a healthy snack each day of testing. We will test for about an hour and then take a "refueling" break. Snack are encouraged.
Congratulations to Colin Flaherty as our Noble Knight, Alexis Kabatra as our Trustworthy Award honoree, and Sam Ramelb as our Charger Award winner! Great job! We are very proud of your hard work and dedication this month!
- I can use close reading strategies to learn from a persuasive text.
- I can read persuasive texts and identify the opinion and supportive examples given.
- I can classify the persuasive elements as emotional, logical, or reasonable.
- I can use "Do Writes" to answer constructed response questions clearly and with appropriate support/evidence from the text.
- I can write an outline and create a web to organize my biographical information.
- I can revise my ending and make it powerful.
- I can use revision strategies to write my Final Draft for publication.
- I can illustrate my Biography.
- I can write an Argumentative Essay using facts to support my argument.
- I can recall with automaticity my basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.
- I can convert between various units of linear measure. (mm, cm, m, km and inches, feet, yards).
- I can identify and create equivalent fractions.
- I can compare and order like and unlike fractions using benchmark fractions.
- I can create quick common denominators.
- I can compare and order unlike fractions.
- I can add and subtract like and unlike fractions.
- I can multiply and divide fractions.
- I can multiply and divide decimals.
- I can read, write, and round decimals to the thousandth.
Word Study Targets
- I can use and spell correctly high frequency words.
- I can accurately proofread and locate the correctly spelled words in a passage.
Science/Social Studies Targets
- I can identify the characteristics of the Sun and other stars.
- I can identify common weather instruments and the element of weather they measure.
- I can use weather instrument data to support a weather prediction.
- I can correctly label a United States Map, labeling all 50 states.(a goal for the entire year)
- I can identify the capitals of the Northeast
- I can read a map and understand how to use it answer questions about location.
- I can identify important European Explorers and their accomplishments and contributions to American Exploration.
- I can identify the famous Lost Colony of Roanoke and its historical value to colonization.
- I can identify the major historical facts of the Jamestown and Plymouth Colonies.
Items added to your student's Data Binder:
- Various Reading assignments and goal sheet!
Please look at the data binder each week. This section of the newsletter will identify what has been added to the binder for the week.
Special Activities and Celebrations
Mark your calendar!
- MAP Testing will begin for 5th graders on April 13th.
- Wednesday: Testing
- Thursday: Testing
- Friday: Testing, no Orchestra!
Moreau Heights Elementary School
We are safe, respectful, and responsible!