DISTRICT UPDATE 1/4/2021
MARYVILLE CITY SCHOOLS
Dear Maryville Families,
On December 21 Governor Lee and Commissioner Schwinn cleared up the recent Governor's Executive Order details limiting the size of gathers to 10 or less. The first takeaway from that communication was that the executive order does not apply to schools. The second point of clarification was that TSSAA will continue to provide guidance to school sports teams across the state.
In response to the rising number of COVID cases in our community and district, as well as the transition from a three-week break from school, the school system will be increasing the expectations of wearing masks for students in grades 4-12, with a mandatory mask policy in grades 8-12. Please review our mask guidance in the sections below.
GRADES 8-12 MASK MANDATE
The masks mandate for grades 8-12 will go into effect when students return on January 5 and will remain in effect until school and community COVID trends are back to the levels seen in the first few months of school. The district will continue to monitor positive COVID cases and provide additional communication regarding the potential extension or expansion of mandatory masks.
- All students will be required to wear an appropriate mask while on campus unless they cannot remove a mask/face covering without assistance or have a medical condition or other need preventing it.
- Face masks will be provided to staff and students if needed. The district will provide a surplus of masks to the schools.
- School administration reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of a mask.
- If a student is not wearing a mask, a teacher or administrator may remind the student that masks are mandatory, expected, and should be worn.
- MHS and MJHS will provide disciplinary consequences through the administrative office.
- All staff will be required to wear an appropriate mask while on campus when physical distancing is not possible unless there is a medical condition preventing it.
GRADES 4-7 MASK EXPECTATIONS
Our intermediate schools will Increase the standards of expecting students to voluntarily wear masks when social distancing cannot occur. All staff will be required to wear an appropriate mask while on campus when physical distancing is not possible unless there is a medical condition preventing it.
GRADES K-3 NO CHANGE
MASK EXEMPTIONS - DISTRICTWIDE
- When eating and drinking
- When a documented medical condition is submitted to the school nurse; health, behavioral, or other disability concerns, as noted in his or her IEP or 504 plan(s)
- On a case-by-case basis for specific instructional needs and other activities (such as, when 6 feet distancing can be maintained, outdoor recess, and/or other appropriately distanced activities), as determined by the principal in consultation with the teacher
- Special behavioral or individualized needs as determined by the school principal
JANUARY SCHEDULE REMINDER
Students in grades 4-12 will return on Tuesday, January 5th as originally planned, but in a STAGGERED SCHEDULE. Students at MHS, MJHS, CGIS, and MRIS will stay on the staggered schedule through Friday, January 8th. Each school will communicate specific details regarding the staggered return schedule, but this information will help. At this time, our plan is to make a decision about ending or continuing the staggered schedule only after we see what our numbers are when students and staff return. Parents can expect an update before Friday, January 8 regarding the next week's schedule.
- Last Names A-K will attend school (in person) on January 5th and 7th.
- Last Names L-Z will attend school (in person) on January 6th and 8th.
Students in grades K-3 will NOT stagger their January schedule but return on January 5th to their assigned instructional model and daily schedule. NO STAGGERING!
We will continue to monitor COVID and attendance data to determine the best instructional model for all students and greatly appreciate your flexibility and understanding as we work to respond to this ever-changing situation.
************* ALL PARENTS and GUARDIANS *************
DUE IMMEDIATELY: Please contact your school THIS MORNING if COVID impacted your student in any way over the break that will prevent his/her participation or attendance at school tomorrow.
COVID POSITIVE UPDATE
We will share the most recent statistics in our next district update.