The Falcon Monday Message
Week of February 8, 2016
2015-2016 Campus Big Goals
- Enhance quality instruction
- Create a positive, college centered, campus culture
- Support strong academic delivery through effective coaching and feedback
Character Trait of the Month: FAIRNESS
STAFF OF THE WEEK!!!!
Mrs. Gomez and Mrs. Thomason: Our Kinder team was observed co-teaching this week! They combined classes -- and efforts -- to help students. While Mrs. Gomez led the lesson, Mrs. Thomason took a small group to the corner and supported those students in need of more support. After, students returned to their classrooms to complete independent practice and small group. Nice job, collaborating!
Ms. Kruzel and the 4th/5th Grade Teams: The amount of Foster students applying to magnet/private schools increased from 9 last school year to 47 this school year. Thank you to all for your extraordinary support of our students to ensure that transformational educational opportunities are available for our kids!
SPED Team: Nice job collaborating to develop revised master schedules, ARD procedures, and more! You are serving our most vulnerable students with a belief in their FULL academic potential. We can do it!
Mrs. Berkins: You use every opportunity and every minute to grow your students brains. Great job!!!!
Fine Arts Team: From the mural in the Lobby to all the extraordinary work you all do with the upcoming musical, you never cease to offer tremendous opportunities to our students. Thank you all for all the time and effort you put into the students at Foster.
- Ms. Brown for having a growth mindset and implementing feedback it into her classroom to improve her instruction!
- Ms. Bernal for having a growth mindset and taking the initiative to go and observe other teachers on her team for her own personal growth!
- Ms. Berkins and all those who give long hours and are dedicated to serving our students in the after school program. We know you're tired and we appreciate all you do to help our kids.
- Ms. Luz Rodriguez for adjusting her intervention plans based on data from GAP Analysis to better meet the needs of her students.
- Mr. Burak for preparing and delivering a great PD for the 5th grade Math teachers.
- Mrs. Carter for having an outstanding inference activity with her students (and Mr. Villegas!) and 100% engagement!!! Go Harvard!
Miss Sims for going above and beyond to teach Science to her students! Resources and conservation!
5th Grade Science Team for planning a review that is aligned to their Common Assessment! Eagles on the War Path!
Mr. Gonzalez for utilizing graphic organizers to make his students' learning visual and interactive.
Miss Traube for integrating Social Studies and Vocabulary in her daily instruction.
Mrs. Bernal for making expository writing an integral part of her students' instruction.
Mr. N. Hernandez for ensuring his students are mastering Main Idea concepts through Reading and Writing, AND for being a Doctor Who fan... (Now Mr. Villegas is a fan as well)!!
4th Grade Writing Team for a purposeful, aligned, and successful Writing Planning Day. Hey 4th Grade, your DOL's GLITTER so much that they can be seen from the Moon!
3rd Grade Team for having an amazing collaboration during our last few Reading PLC's
Miss Luz Rodriguez for ensuring that her DOL questions are aligned to the STAAR stems 100%
UPCOMING CALENDAR EVENTS
- 2C will make announcements all week (3 students report to Mr. Hall's Office by 7:40am)
- Extended Observations: Group B
- K-1st Grade Planning Day Monday in Room 122
- Committee Meetings Monday from 3:30pm-4:15pm in regular meeting spots
- Achieve3000 Campus Visit (3rd-5th Grades) during your PLCs
- Math Planning Day Tuesday in Room 122
- 2nd-3rd Grade Reading Planning Day Wednesday in Room 122
- Baylor College of Dentistry on Campus Wednesday (3rd Grade Only)
- SpEd and Specials Planning Day Thursday in Room 122
- Bubble Sheet Friday this week!
- Pre-K Planning Day this Friday in Room 122
- FAC/BOC this Friday from 7:15am-7:45am in Ms. Whitlow's Room
- Top 16 Luncheon this Friday ("D" Sections) in the Main Cafeteria from 1:00pm-1:30pm
- No school Monday, February 15th!!!!!!!
- ACTION ITEM: Exit Slip-Common Assessment Alignment - All Kinder, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade teachers will be provided a plastic sleeve and a cover paper (in your box) that says "Current Common Assessment Folder". BY this WEDNESDAY (2/10)-- all teachers are asked to ensure the common assessment (or STAAR Released exam-- if that is your common assessment) is located in that folder-- and the folder is posted next to your exit slip. Administrators, CICs, and visitors will use the Common Assessment in this folder to help us check alignment between your exit slip, what is happening in class, and your your common assessment. This will help us coach and ensure we are preparing our students for success! **Note: Don't be afraid to go BEYOND the rigor of your common assessment-- this will better prepare students, anyway! **If you read this far, please note that Monday, 2/8, will be a jeans and Foster shirt day for Foster faculty and staff-- to celebrate everyone's hard work!
- Committee Meetings after school on Monday (per the staff calendar). Committee Chairs should be meeting with teams to discuss upcoming projects or work to serve our campus and community. Thank you to all those who have been leading the way to awesomeness here at Foster!
- Reminder to turn in your "Foster Family Commitment" form (if you haven't already) to Mr. Hall's box and be sure your Master Schedule is posted outside your room (reflecting a 20 minute recess period)
- SBDM has been moved to John Quincy Adams Elementary School - next Wednesday 2/10 - from 4 to 6 p.m. The Bilingual/ESL Department will be presenting to our team on the Two-Way Dual-Language Model. All faculty and staff are invited to attend.
- Tornado drill coming sometime this week. Be sure to train your students on where to go/what to do in the event of an actual emergency. Visit with Coach Dunn if you don't yet have your red folder. Visit with your GC if you aren't sure where your class is supposed to go.
- Planning Days are this week in Room 122. (Math Planning Day is on Tuesday.) Also, remember this is review week. Reviews should be carefully planned and based on data.