• Spent most of his life in the large town of Nuremberg in Bavaria
• Trained as an engraver in his father's workshop when he was young
• Was an apprentice to Michael Wolgemut, a Nuremberg painter and woodcut illustrator
• Lived an itinerant lifestyle
-Traveled around Central Europe (Italy, France, and Rhineland)
• One of his patrons was Frederick the Wise
• Engraved and painted to create art.
• Knight, Death, and the Devil (1513)
• Melencolia 1 (1514)
• Saint Jerome in his Study (1514)
• Three Lime Trees (1489)
• Water-Wheel (1495)
• Self-Portrait in a Fur-Trimmed Coat (1500) (shown above)
• Albrecht Dürer engraved this piece in 1513
• This engraving can be found in the Musée de Louvre in Paris, France
• A newer technique of painting called perspective was used in the creation of this piece.
• Perspective is the method by which solid objects drawn or painted on a flat surface are given the appearance of depth and distance.
• The castle in the engraving gives the impression that it is far away from the knight on his horse
• I found this piece to be a very interesting work of art
• It is also unlike many of the other pieces by Albrecht Dürer
• The engraving has a dog in it, something not seen in many of his works
• None of his other pieces include the use of creatures such as these
• He has used creatures in his art, such as hydras or angels, but rarely demons.
•There are several symbols in this engraving:
The knight represents courage
The devil represents death
the hourglass in its hand represents life
• more specifically, the time one is alive
The war horse represents conflict and battle
Albrecht Dürer exemplifies the idea of humanism in this engraving.
• The engraving tells the story of a knight going to fight death itself
• It shows that man can conquer anything
• Humanism is the idea that man is the center of the universe and is the most important.
• By depicting a knight going off to fight death, Dürer shows that man is most important, not even death can stop them.
• He traveled to Italy twice to study classical Italian art forms
• Was the first to print charts of constellations in Europe in 1515
• Combined Germanic realistic traditional art with the Italian idea of beauty
• Was the first non-Italian artist to relate humanistic disciplines with the pursuits of art
• Studied human anatomy in Italy so that his artwork would seem more realistic and authentic
• The first artist to leave autobiographical writing and a sequence of self portraits
• Incorporated the use of mathematical theories and geometry in his art.
Southern Celestial Hemisphere (1515)
"Albrecht Dürer." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 17 Nov. 2013.
"Albrecht Dürer." International Dictionary of Art and Artists. Gale, 1990. Biography in Context. Web. 17 Nov. 2013.
Albrecht Dürer Knight, Death and the Devil 1513 Musée du Louvre ARTstor ARMNIG_10313258899 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8CJfdzIoMloyLyw4ejp3RHgp
"Albrecht Dürer." Mathematics. Ed. Barry Max Brandenberger, Jr. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2002. Biography in Context. Web. 16 Nov. 2013.
"Albrecht Dürer." World of Mathematics. Gale, 2006. Biography in Context. Web. 16 Nov. 2013.
Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528 Self-Portrait in a Fur-Trimmed Coat 1500 Alte Pinakothek (Munich, Germany) ARTstor ARTSTOR_103_41822000655819 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8CJGczI9NzldLS1WEDhzTnkrX3ktfl1xcC4%3D
Dürer, Albrecht, 1471-1528., German. St. Jerome in His Study 1514. Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Dept. of Prints, Drawings and Photographs.;Williamstown, Mass.;1968.90.;http://www.clarkart.edu ARTstor AMICO_CLARK_103904885 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8D1Efjk2Njs%2BPzcuFTx5TnAtU3km
Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528 Southern Celestial Hemisphere 1515 Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.) ARTstor ARTSTOR_103_41822001131422 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8CJGczI9NzldLS1WEDhzTnkrX3grf195fyY%3D
Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528 Three Lime Trees c.1489 ARTstor ARTSTOR_103_41822000656296 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8CJGczI9NzldLS1WEDhzTnkrX3ktfl54cik%3D
Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528 Water-Wheel c.1495 ARTstor ARTSTOR_103_41822000656064 http://library.artstor.org/library/secure/ViewImages?id=8CJGczI9NzldLS1WEDhzTnkrX3ktfl56fyQ%3D
"English definition of "perspective"." perspective n (ART). N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2013. <http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/perspective_2>.
Krén, Emil, and Daniel Marx. "Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1000-1900)." Web Gallery of Art, image collection, virtual museum, searchable database of European fine arts (1000-1900). N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2013. <http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/bio/d/durer/biograph.html>.