Fourth Grade PEAK
Mrs. Turner's January News
The kids had a great first week back. I loved chatting with them about their winter breaks. It sounds like you all enjoyed time with family and friends.
I had an exciting break in that I became a Grandma! Isla (silent s) Sage was born on December 31 at 8 pounds 11 ounces. I had fun sharing a few pictures with the kids this week!
- We are in the process of wrapping up Topic Study Projects and Reflections. We are also working on using technology to pull all our projects/notes/videos together into one electronic portfolio.
- Student spent a few weeks analyzing editorial mentor texts and have started the writing process. Students will use their research to write a well organized editorial. As we write we will focus on leads, transitions, voice, sentence fluency, and writing conventions.
- After the writing process, students will peer edit and publish their editorial. We will then work on raising awareness to the world problem each student selected. (preview of what is to come!)
- Student took a science pretest and reviewed the scientific method.We will begin experiments that answer the essential question: How can I use the scientific method to determine if advertising claims are true? Students will be planning and conducting multiple science experiments - very fun!
- Students took a posttest on critical thinking vocabulary words.
- Each student is designing his/her own method to best learn the meanings of the critical thinking vocabulary words. Some kids wrote songs, some made memory concentration games, other made good old fashion flash cards. Students will study the words using his/her method 10 - 15 minutes each week at the beginning of class.
- We are working on applying the words across the disciplines (math, science, research)
4th and 5th grade students have taken part in several Team Challenges already this year. In fact, it's one of the most requested PEAK day activities. I love that they're so excited to work together!