Miss Branchick's Newsletter
March 14-18th, 2016
Homework this week
There is a math review packet and reading review packet.
4 pages of Rocket Math need to be turned in by Friday for all students who have not mastered all four operations on Math Fact Mastery.
Groups of students worked together build the tallest structure using just spaghetti noodles, string, tape, and marshmallows.
The group who could get their marshmallow the highest, was the winner!
The students worked on this challenge to see how rules and jobs are a necessary component in every day life.
- Monday- 9:45-10:24am
- Tuesday- 9:45-10:30am
- Wednesday- 9:45-10:27am
Please make sure your child gets plenty of sleep each night and if possible does not miss school. There is a much smaller window for IREAD than ISTEP. If your child does not take the test or all parts of the test they will have to retest in June.
A Sign-up link should have been sent out to you all about donating snacks for IREAD. This is all optional but there were a lot of students without snacks during ISTEP and I am hoping to avoid that this round of testing. Thanks in advance for your generosity!
Results will get back to the school around Spring Break and will most likely come home after break.
THANK YOU to all the parents who sent in snacks for IREAD! We will have plenty for all three days!
This week in room 506
Starting tomorrow, all of my homeroom students will be back in my class for math. Students who have been with Miss Twyman came back today and students who have been with Mrs. McDugle will join us tomorrow (they don't know this yet- they will find out tomorrow).
Monday- Unit 13 Money Vocab and Lesson 1-7 Counting Money
Tuesday- Lesson 1-7 contd- Counting Money activity
Wednesday- Lesson 1-8 Making Change
Thursday- Making Change activity
Friday- Continue Money activities
Students who have been in my math class all year took the Topic 1 Pretest for fourth grade math. Textbooks were also exchanged for fourth grade textbooks.
Monday- Topic 1 Pretest
Tuesday- Lesson 1-4
Wednesday- Lesson 1-6
Thursday- Lesson 1-7
Friday- Lesson 1-7A
Unit 5 Week 1
- Strategy: Summarize
- Skill: Point of View
- Genre: Fairy Tale
- Vocab: Root Words
- Phonics: compound words and consonants +le syllables (example: whistle)
1. admit- When you admit to something, you confess to it.
2. barter- When you barter, you trade things for other things.
3. considered- If you considered something, you thought about it carefully before making a decision.
4. creation- A creation is something you made.
5. humble- When something is humble it is not big or important; modest.
6. magnificent- Something that is magnificent is very beautiful and grand.
7. payment- A payment is an amount you paid for something.
8. reluctantly- To do something reluctantly is to do it unwillingly or with hesitation.
Spelling Words: Compound Words
- Tumblebooks (username northelementary / password books)
- Symbaloo (username email@example.com / password room506) - this website has links to kid approved websites we use at school)
- IXL - a great website for students to practice skills from any subject!
Tumblebooks is registered for grades K-4 so North and South share.