Week at a Glance
September 28 - October 2, 2015
Sayings from Skinner
Dear Fabulous Radloff Raiders -- As we enter the month of October this month, the fall season, cooler weather, and the heart of the semester, it is time to pause and reflect just a moment on what you have accomplished thus far this year!! You have:
- made the beginnings of solid relationships with students.
- connected with parents to form teams about student success.
- identified and begun implementing necessary interventions for students who are struggling.
- come to Radloff, "READY" for more than 30 days (almost 20%) of the school year with a SMILE on your face, an open hand to work with colleagues and children, and a willing spirit to take our students and our kids to the next level.
- been a team player -- and have worked to be solution-focused and not problem-oriented.
- laughed, learned, talked, listened, thought (and maybe cried) as you have been truly engaged in the most challenging, but most rewarding work there is.
And the challenge goes on. As a member of an organization committed to continuous improvement, if you have fallen short on one of the "tall order" accomplishments, you have the opportunity to do it better each and every day --- just like our kids have the opportunity to learn more, grow more, and get better and better each and every day.
I hope this week turns out to be your very best yet this year!!!! Make it a great one, Raiders!!!
News You Can Use
Read Carefully to Be "In the Know"
1) Kudos, Congratulations, and Other Matters of Good News:
- From ALL who attended: KUDOS to Dr. Alicia Jackson, Wayne Dail, Lisa Wells, and the many, many who volunteered last night -- Michael Gravely, Matt Pennell, Marsha James, Anjannette Diaz, Cherell Davis-Thorpe, Karen Slough, Julie Wilkerson, Brad Zickefoose, Pepper Price, Julie Scharnell, Jennifer Beaty, Jesse Lawson, April Mitchell, Marcia Ellington-Lopez, Gayla Lemay, Lynn Winslow, Pam Buckland, Steven Alphabet, Kathy Mason, Sunshine Meeks, Tara Raymond, Rosa Gonzalez, Steven Bates, April Forney, Laurelie Connell, Claudia Sorto, Aminah Coleman, Francis Pavon, Brigette Brown, and all who attended -- thanks to the APs who were here and all the amazing custodial staff for everything. I hope I didn't miss anyone who volunteered and helped -- but I hope you are each enjoying your jeans day for your great support!! Mrs. Radloff was truly impressed!
- From Peggy Dobson: Kudos to Coach Crews for a great e-class assignment that my 8th grade boys enjoyed - and learned how to use the drop box.
- From Lynn Winslow: Carla Chelko, her para Keiser Williams, Lillian Neal, her paras April Clark &Christina Hefner for their willingness to lend a hand with Lisa Lopez & myself during this crazy scheduling through my treatments & surgery.
Good News from Rasheedra Nelson:
I had a visitor, who is a retired educator, on campus earlier this past week and she was very complimentary of our school climate/culture. She commented on how clean the building is, how orderly the school is run, and she sensed that our teachers enjoy being with their students. Her remarks were totally unsolicited and confirmed what I already knew about Radloff. This is a wonderful place to work!!!
Congratulations to the 2015-16 LRMS Dance Team Members:
Angelica Lopez, Yamilet Ursino, Aaliyah Brown, Kaycee Rogers, Denesha Rogers, Doris McCowin, Siera Wharton, McKenzie Sapp, Sierra Eave, Destiny Jackson, Imani Mathis, Makayla Reed, Efia Asare, Kelly Suarea-Zaragoza, Lelani Deleon, and Lizbeth Delgado. And GREAT THANKS to the sponsor and coach, Shamira Pierson-Porter
2) ABC Report -- Did you know 33% of our school is still at ABC risk as we near the end of September (and draw close to the mid-semester mark)?
Make sure that you KNOW who is on that list from your classes/team!! If you have a child who is "at risk," make sure that there is documentation of the contacts you have made home, the interventions you have tried/offered, there is a signed Academic Contract, and that efforts are clearly documented that we are reaching out and working together to help each child find success.
3) Common Assessments
These should be underway in every academic classroom --- remember that our LSPI requires at least 3 common assessments (with common lessons/plans) each semester. Data will be collected on these --- and when you are reviewing these with students, please do not send common assessments home -- we need to keep them as secure as possible for the ability to reuse them!
4) All Pro Dad's meeting
This is a parent outreach meeting scheduled for October 14th at 8:00 a.m. in the Media Center --- are there a "few good men" on the faculty who would be willing to come and mingle with these dads/parents and support this effort? Please let Lisa Wells know if you're willing/able to attend!
5) ELT Data
Please don't forget to enter your ELT data into the database -- we MUST know how kids are progressing!
- Chess Club meetings every Wednesday from 4:30 - 5:30 in Mary Jerzak's room -- please see Mrs. Jerzak if you or any of your children have any questions.
- Picture Day is Tuesday, September 29 -- ALL faculty and students should have their photos made for the yearbook!
Events of the Week
Monday, September 28
8:15 a.m. -- SPED/Gifted Meeting
8:50 a.m. -- Counselors' Meeting
9:30 a.m. -- ELT
Tuesday, September 29
SCHOOL PICTURE DAY
9:30 a.m. -- ELT
Wednesday, September 30
8:15 a.m. -- School-wide Morning Tutoring
9:30 a.m. - -Advisement/Raider Pride
4:30 p.m. -- Chess Club Meeting
6:00 p.m. - -JLC Parent Meeting
Thursday, October 1
BOOK FAIR BEGINS
8:15 a.m. -- PBIS Meeting
Friday, October 2
BOOK FAIR OPEN
8:00 a.m. -- GUFG Meeting
8:15 a.m. -- ELT-LT meeting
Raider Palooza #1 during ALL Planning Periods (Rain or shine -- Plan B is in the works in case of rain!)
- Monday, October 5 - Friday, October 9 -- Book Fair is OPEN!
- Monday, October 5 -- ELLP Training for all teachers of ESOL students during planning periods (in conference room #2)
- Monday, October 5 (8:15 - 4:15) -- Special District-sponsored training for all CAT captains (in Staff Development room)
- Monday, October 5 -- 8:15 a.m. - -STEM/eClass and Literacy Consortia meetings (Dail's room for STEM/Kirk's room for Literacy)
- Tuesday, October 6 --8:30 a.m. -- Faculty Senate meeting (make sure your views are shared with your reps)
- Wednesday, October 7 -- DA Interims -- LA and MA Short Answer section
- Thursday, October 8 - Friday, October 9-- DA Interim Tests -- LA & SC
- Friday, October 9 -- Grade Level Meetings
- Monday, October 12 -- Staff Development Day (Faculty Meeting in cafeteria at 8:30 a.m.)
- Tuesday, October 13 - Wednesday, October 14 -- DA Interim Tests -- MA & SS
- Friday, October 16 -- 9 week progress reports
- Saturday, October 17 -- 10:00 a.m. -- Saturday with Skinner
- Monday, October 19 - Friday, October 23 -- ITBS (for all 8th graders)