JAN. 25, 2013 (VOL.5)
- Congratulations to Michelle Thompson on her beautiful growing baby (see pic. below)
- Happy Birthday Arricka Amadar
- Superbowl Appetizers - Friday Feb. 1st (Thank you Lisa Salley for organizing!)
- Save the Date - Viva Solana Highlands a Fiesta for Funds Sat. Mar. 23rd. Teacher auction items due Feb. 15th.
- Friday Assembly - Feb. 1st
“Don’t look for the big, quick improvement. Seek the small improvements one day at a time. That’s the only way it happens – and when it happens it lasts.”
GREAT KINDNESS CHALLENGE CELEBRATION
Sophia and Olivia Stettner with Mayor Bob Filner
Banners for Cambodian Hospital
- Hollis for organizing the prize distribution for hundreds of our great readers for Gold Medal Reading
- Susanna and Jeanne for substituting on Tuesday when our Guest Teachers did not show
- Kathy for always staying cool, calm, and collected during these hectic days of substitute no-shows.
- Thank you Nancy and Susanna for helping with the Get Well Posters that will hang in a Cambodian Hospital. Dr. Grossfeld, a Dr. at our school, will be doing a humanitarian mission and helping with 18 surgeries for children.
- Appreciation for all of the teachers who have received new students, their flexibility, and their positive attitude. Our students are so fortunate.
- Lisa Salley for organizing the Super Bowl appetizer event.
- For everyone for making great sub plans while attending all of the professional development this year
- Ashlee Ponder - Enjoy your precious time with your soon-to-be-born baby.
Did you know that there are over 20 languages spoken at Solana Highlands? Our number of El students has doubled in the last 5 years, from 39 students in '07 to 80+ this year. The following article, Four Key Classroom Practices That Boost ELLs’ Achievement, gives some important reminders for teaching these students. Giving students frequent opportunities to talk and write is the most important.