Chandler High Wolf Bytes
100 Years of Excellence
Chandler FFA members took part in the Arizona FFA Career Development State Competition last week. Two teams won state championships and many individuals placed in the top ten. Chandler High’s State Champion Ag Mechanics team consists of: 1st Place individual Logan Forbis, 2nd Place individual Hunter Baney, 12th Place individual Stacie Hicks, and 18th Place individual Trevor Newman. The State Champion Meat Evaluation team consists of 3rd Place individual Dhylan Patel, 4th Place individual Vanessa Randall, 5th Place individual Chris Campbell, and 6th Place individual Liah Hunt. CHS’s Agriculture Business Management was State Runner Up! The championship teams will represent Arizona at the National FFA Career Development Event in Louisville, KY. Their teacher is Mr. Matt Lewis. Excellent work, Wolves!
CHS Spiritline traveled to Anaheim, California to compete at the 2015 USA Nationals Competition in March. Varsity Cheer received 7th place and Varsity Pom received 10th place! Congrats to all of these hard working athletes! It was the perfect end to the season.
CHANDLER'S GOT TALENT
Last week’s “Chandler’s Got Talent” was definitely a highlight of the year! Congratulations to the top placers:
1) Corneisha Mitchell and D'Ona Jackson performed a terrific Beyoncé medley
2) Jasmine Chamblin showed off her amazing vocals on a rendition of "I'm Going Down"
3) Tomas Hernandez absolutely blew the audience away with his beat boxing skills
4) Jake Morris performed an act from Broadway where he showed off his acting AND singing skills
5) Taylor Daniels and the Lion's Den performed a funk version of "I'm Coming Out"
Judges had a difficult time deciding who should place because all of the performers were fantastic. Congratulations to all of the performers and to Miss Kendra Van Norman, Miss Amanda Cordova and Mr. Adam Vitcavage for organizing the event.
IB Immersion Camp
Over Spring Break, Mrs. Wyffels, Mr. Sapakie, Dr. Foerst and Mrs. Bejarano led another IB Immersion Camp with 8th grade students from the Si Se Puede organization. Current CHS IB students helped to give these 8th graders a hands-on experience with IB curriculum.
The CHS wrestling program had four placers at the Post-Season National Tournament in Las Vegas, NV. Sam Pepper and Quincy Reece took 2nd, Michael Reyes took 4th, and Hayden Clifford took 8th.
Chandler High took 19 students to the State DECA competition March 2nd and 3rd. Of those 19 students, CHS had 12 make it to the finals. Of those 12 finalists, five placed high enough to go on to the international level of competition in Orlando, Florida in April. On another high note, Zoe Zammit was also elected state officer. Congratulations to the CHS Wolves and their sponsor, Mrs. Kim Frahm.
- Softball def. Marcos de Niza (V 8-0; JV 15-7) and Xavier (F 9-6)
- Baseball def. Basha (V 6-4; F 6-3) and Desert Mountain (V 7-5)
- Girls Tennis def. Mesquite (JV 8-1)
- Boys Tennis def. Mesquite (JV 6-3)
This Week’s Home Events:
- Monday, March 30th: Boys Tennis vs. Mountain Pointe (V and JV @ 3:30pm); Softball vs. Campo Verde (F @ 3:45pm)
- Tuesday, March 31st: Girls Tennis vs. Mesa (V and JV @ 3:30pm); Baseball vs. Gilbert (JV and F @ 3:45pm); Softball vs. Gilbert (V @ 3:45pm); Boys Volleyball vs. Gilbert (JV @ 4:00pm, V @ 5:30pm)
- Thursday, April 2nd: Baseball vs. Perry (V @ 4:00pm); Softball vs. Perry (JV and F @ 4:00pm)
Parents of high school students are invited to preview and evaluate the Algebra 2 Textbook and Environmental Science Textbook Adoption materials submitted at the Instructional Resource Center (IRC) from now until May 5th, 2015. The IRC hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The IRC is located at 500 W. Galveston, Chandler, AZ 85225. Math Instructional Specialists will be available to answer questions on Thursday, March 26, 2015, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Parents who are not able to attend on this date are welcome to come to the IRC between the hours of 8:00-4:00, Monday-Friday.
CHS DANCE PRESENTS CROSSROADS
It is time to formally recognize great teachers by nominating them for the 2015 CHS Teacher of the Year (TOY) Award! With input from CHS’s Site Council, the Teacher Leadership Team, and the Parent Advisory Council, we have established criteria for this prestigious award and will take nominations through March. The CHS TOY criteria aligns with the Arizona Educational Foundation’s (AEF) Teacher of the Year criteria, and ultimately, the CHS TOY will submit the AEF TOY application to be in the running for Arizona Teacher of the Year. Click to see criteria and complete your nomination. Nominations will be accepted through March 31st. The CHS TOY will be announced in April.
If you would like to recognize a staff member who does not meet all of the criteria, please do so. Although he/she will not be in the running for AEF TOY, CHS wants to acknowledge him/her. Thanks for helping us recognize Chandler High’s terrific teachers!
CHS students interested in attending the following presentations by visiting college reps may sign up in the Career Center:
- University of Alabama- Junior Day- Monday, March 30th @ 9:00am
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College- Tuesday, April 7th @ 9:30am
- Johns Hopkins University- Monday, April 13th @ 7:00pm
New presentations are added daily. Visit the career center calendar to access other valuable info.
Help earn money for CHS by shopping at Chandler Fashion Center and earning more points in March! All receipts are due to the front office by March 31st. Click on the School Cents flyer for more information.
2015 Testing Information
AIMS Science Testing
- Wednesday, April 8th for 9th and 10th graders in Biology, H Biology or Applied Bio
11:00am Early Release for students not testing
- Tuesday, April 14th- ELA Writing for all students in English 9, English 10 and English 11 (includes Honors/AP/IB/ELD classes)- 12:05pm Early Release for students not testing
- Wednesday, April 15th- ELA Reading for all students in English 9, English 10 and English 11 (includes Honors/AP/IB/ELD classes)- 10:25am Early Release for students not testing
- Monday, April 20th- Math for all students in Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 (includes Honors)- 10:15am Early Release for students not testing
- Tuesday, April 28th at 7:20am for all CHS Juniors- This is an 11:50 late start for 9th, 10th and 12th graders. We are running two bus routes- the regular route for juniors, and a second route that freshmen, sophomores and seniors will catch 4 ½ hours later than their regular pick-up time.
second semester final exams
Thursday, May 21st and Friday, May 22nd are review days. May 21st is 1-3-5; May 22nd is 2-4-6. 0 hour teachers will test on Wednesday; students must be in class both days.
Tuesday May 26th, 2015
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
1st Hour - 7:25-9:00
3rd Hour - 9:10-10:45
5th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) 1:30-2:45
Wednesday May 27th, 2015
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
2nd Hour - 7:25-9:00
4th Hour - 9:10-10:45
6th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) 1:30-2:45