VC Athletics News
Valley Catholic High School - April 12, 2021
Latest Update for Valley Catholic High School Athletics
Letter to VC Families Regarding Spectators at OSAA Season 3 - SPRING Sports Events
Dear Valley Catholic Families and Community Members:
UPDATED FOR SEASON 3 - SPRING SPORTS:
For years, Valley Catholic High School athletics has realized a tremendous amount of support for our student-athletes during their competitive seasons. Whether it was a standing room only stadium or a packed gym our families and community has always provided unwavering support for our Valiant athletic teams.
Our athletic programs came to an abrupt end in March 2020 and included the cancellation of our entire spring sports season for our student-athletes and coaches. With the efforts of our fall sports coaches, student-athletes and families we were able to safely and successfully allow our fall sports teams to compete in Season 2. We are excited for Season 3 and for our VC Spring Sports teams to once again represent our school and community with the start of the 2021 Spring Sports season that officially began on April 5th.
There has been a lot of speculation over what this looks like for our fans who are ready to cheer on their favorite players and teams during competition. In the current environment, watching the games in person is going to be a departure from “normal.” We are grateful that our student-athletes will be able to compete again, however, spectating will be markedly different than what we are used to. The Oregon Health Authority (OHA) has outlined provisions for continued competition and occupancy at our venues that will, depending on current county risk levels, allow for some spectators but certainly not to the levels that we are accustomed to.
We have worked closely with our Cowapa League partners to develop consistent guidelines that would allow for limited spectators at our respective venues. Please keep in mind each venue at each school is different. A complicating factor is that our league spans three different counties which might simultaneously be in three different risk sectors (OHA - Sector Risk Level Guidance Chart).
I can assure you that the other league schools are as committed to allowing for limited spectators as we are and collectively we plan to do all in our power to make spectator attendance possible while also ensuring we take the appropriate precautions to protect the likelihood of our students remaining in school.
We are able to allow for limited spectators and the following guidelines will be followed with zero exceptions during the OSAA Season 3 (“Spring Sports”) and under current OHA guidelines:
- An allotment of tickets will be designated for each student athlete on a rostered team.
- Student athletes will list guest names with their coach on a pass list for each game.
- All spectators are required to wear a fitted face covering/mask regardless of whether the activity is indoors or outdoors, including spectators at golf events.
- Spectators granted access will be required to sit in designated areas and observe 6’ physical distancing to the extent possible.
- Spectators that are not granted access or are not on the designated guest pass list will be asked to leave the premises. Spectators that refuse to follow guidelines run the risk of having the competition stopped or cancelled and potentially being trespassed from venues.
- Our VC Tennis teams compete in a special district other than the Cowapa League and at this time only HOME guests will be allowed for Tennis matches.
I have outlined below the number of tickets allotted for each sport that will be available to them throughout the “Spring Sports” season and under the current OHA Sector Risk Level guidelines. Note, again, that the in-person attendee counts include all players, coaches, officials, and personnel supporting a team, which is why two different sports held in the same venue may then have fewer spectators allowed so that the venue remains under the cap set for total in-person attendees. The county risk level is fluid and is subject to change every two weeks which could impact number of spectators allowed at an event.
Home Games: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Away Games: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Home Games: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Away Games: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
VC TRACK & FIELD:
Home Meets: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Away Meets: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Home Matches: 2 guests per rostered player
Away Matches: NO FANS Allowed at Away Tennis Contests
Home Matches: 2 guests per rostered student-athlete
Away Matches: 2 guest per rostered student-athlete
- There will not be an admission charge at any venue for attendance in the Cowapa League.
- There will be NO concessions at any venues. Food or drinks need to be consumed outside the venue.
- All spectators must be seated in provided stands or areas and adhere to designated home and visitor sections. FANS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO BRING THEIR OWN CHAIRS TO SPRING SPORTS EVENTS AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIT IN APPROVED SPECTATOR AREAS AND MAINTAIN 6 FT SOCIAL DISTANCE FROM NON-HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
- Please note: Spectator limits are at the discretion of the home school regardless of what OHA has stated as formula for capacity.
The spectator situation is fluid as county risk levels are changing every two weeks. Our coaches will further communicate this information with our student-athletes and families and will be the primary contact regarding guest pass lists for their respective sports. Other questions regarding our athletic programs should be directed to Joel Sobotka, Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I acknowledge that these guidelines and restrictions may be frustrating; however, in order to continue competition they must be followed. I am grateful that the opportunity to resume these activities for our spring sports student-athletes has been provided.
Please continue to partner with our school community through responsible actions to ensure these athletic opportunities continue to be available to our student-athletes throughout the remainder of the year.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation as we continue to move through this challenging time.
OSAA Season 3 Spring Sports Important Information (Updated)
UPDATE ON SEASON 3 - SPRING SPORTS:
OSAA Season 3 and SPRING Sports are ready to begin at Valley Catholic High School, including Softball, Baseball, Track & Field, Tennis and Golf. We are excited to continue our athletic activities, following the guidance and protocols from OHA, ODE and the OSAA and safely give our student-athletes the opportunity to compete, represent Valley Catholic and experience the value of team sports once again. Thank you all for your continued patience and support.
Important Information and Contact Details for Season 3 Spring Sports at Valley Catholic:
First Contest Date: Monday April 12th
Questions on Practice Times: Please email the head coach for your sport, coaches email addresses are listed below in the Coach Contact section.
Athletic Registration & Sports Physicals: All students participating in athletics must register for their Season 3 sport online at https://www.valleycatholic.org/athletic-registration/ pay their athletic fee and must have a current sports physical on file in the Athletic office.
Please contact Assistant Athletic Director Kelly Alfieri at email@example.com if you have any questions about registration, sports physicals or paying the athletic fee.
Mandatory Concussion Testing: Emails went out earlier this week to all families of VC students that are required to take the mandatory baseline concussion test. This is required every two years. The emails provide information and details on how to take the baseline test at home. If you have any questions please email Kelly Alfieri at firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability waiver: The head coach of each Spring Sports program will be sending each student and family that registers for a Spring Sport (and did not compete in a Fall Sport) a link to a Valley Catholic Athletics Communicable Diseases Liability Waiver google form that parents and students must read and digitally sign by April 14th.
Spectators at Games: Please see information above in the first section of the newsletter.
Continued Protocols for Covid-19 Screening: Student-athletes and coaches will continue to be screened in accordance with OHA and VCS policy prior to practices, home games and away games.
Please read these important reminders and adhere to the protocols in place before attending any activity, practice or game at Valley Catholic or any away contest:
- Please stay home and do not come to any practice or game if you do not feel well, have a fever or any symptoms of Covid-19 or have been exposed to anyone with Covid-19.
Symptoms of Covid-19 can be found here on the CDC website CDC Covid-19 Symptoms
- Participants are expected to follow the CDC Quarantine Guidelines any time they answer yes to any of the screening questions.
- MASKS are required at all times for anyone attending or competing in any event, both indoor AND outdoor sports, including any Valley Catholic games, matches or events. Physical distancing is also required at all events when not engaged in live play.
- TRAVEL: From the Valiant View 2/26/21 -The OHA released new guidance this week (3/30/21) regarding what is considered ‘essential’ out of state travel. It can be found here:
K-12 athletic sports, adult, youth, and club sports in accordance with the Recreation Guidance no longer require a quarantine period. Also, you no longer need to quarantine if you are travelling out of state for study as part of enrollment in an educational institution (which has been interpreted to mean, among other things, going on a college visit).
Our health screening question regarding travel will be modified, given this newly expanded category for essential travel. The new question will ask if you have been out of state for non-essential travel. Recreational travel (a.k.a. vacation) is still considered non-essential. If you leave the state for recreational travel you will still have to meet the current quarantine guidelines as listed in the OHA guidelines above.
I do want to remind families, though, to continue to be responsible about the choices they make regardless of your location. Any positive cases, beyond the obvious and important health concerns, have the potential to cancel athletic contests or revert students, or the entire school, completely to distance learning.
- These practices are in place to try to create a safer environment for students and staff, though they are not a guarantee against catching COVID-19 or any other illness.
If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at email@example.com
Valley Catholic High School
Contact a VC Coach
VALLEY CATHOLIC COACHING CONTACTS
VC FALL SPORTS
NICK HEGWOOD HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
BECKY KEMPER HEAD COACH email@example.com
IAN BERGE BOYS XC COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
JENN DEAL GIRLS XC COACH email@example.com
KIBWE CUFFIE HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
MIKE CHERTUDE HEAD COACH email@example.com
JESSICA ANDERSON CO-HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
MEGAN HOFFMAN CO-HEAD COACH email@example.com
VC WINTER SPORTS
BEN KARLIN HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
PAT THOMAS VARSITY HEAD COACH email@example.com
JOEL SOBOTKA VARSITY HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
VC SPRING SPORTS
DAN COOPER HEAD COACH email@example.com
CAROLINE FREILING HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
ED BRAUN HEAD COACH email@example.com
KATHLEEN BIRRELL HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
DANIELLE LOMARTIRE GIRLS HEAD COACH email@example.com
NICK KONEN BOYS HEAD COACH firstname.lastname@example.org
TRACK & FIELD
DALE FRENCH HEAD COACH email@example.com
PictureThisPDX and VC Athletics!
We are incredibly grateful to Ryan Hoppes with @picturethispdx. Ryan is a VCMS parent and volunteers his time taking amazing photos at our VC Athletic events!
Ryan’s model is to donate his time shooting pictures at the games and then encourages donations to nonprofits, in this case, donations will support VC Athletics!
How it works:
- PictureThisPDX will attend as many VCHS athletic events as possible.
- Families are asked to make a donation in gratitude via venmo @ssmofoundation. Add a note that the donation is for PictureThisPDX so the donation is directed to VC athletics.
LINKS TO PICTURES BY VC TEAM:
Soccer Boys JV
Soccer Boys Varsity
Soccer Girls Varsity
To learn more, visit PictureThisPDX.com or follow on Instagram @PictureThisPDX or visit our VC website:
Thank you Ryan and Go Valiants!
Live Streaming of VC Athletics on the NFHS Network!
VC Athletics Live Streaming on the NFHS Network
Unfortunately we do not have the capabilities to Livestream our Season 3 events.
We are excited to announce that for this season all HOME Valley Catholic Fall Sports Events in the Valiants Gym or on the Turf Field will be live streamed for free on the NFHS Network, no subscription required.
**Please note: Away Valley Catholic athletic events on the NFHS Network may require a subscription.
This includes HOME events for VC Varsity and JV Volleyball, VC Girls & Boys JV & Varsity Soccer and VC Football for this season.
To watch the Valiants please follow these steps:
- Click on the VC team page on the NFHS Network https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/valley-catholic-high-school-beaverton-or
- Create an NFHS Network account (this is free) or login if you have one
- Find the VC game or match you would like to watch and click on it
- Also click ‘Follow’ on the Valley Catholic NFHS Network page. You will get an email on game days with links to all of our VC live streams.
Required OSAA Sports Physicals
Oregon State Law requires all high school students to have a current sports physical every two years. Physicals are valid for two years from the date they are issued.
The physicals must be completed on the OSAA-sanctioned form and on file in the Valley Catholic High School Athletic Office prior to the first day of any team practice, including Season One actvities.
The required OSAA form, which must be used to complete the sports physical, can be found here http://www.osaa.org/docs/forms/PhysicalExamination-English2017.pdf
If you have any questions on whether your sports physical is current or not please email assistant athletic director Kelly Alfieri at firstname.lastname@example.org or Joel Sobotka at email@example.com