CHS School Counseling
My job is to assist students and their families with their post-high school journey. This year, I will be sending out a monthly newsletter with timely information regarding things like, upcoming important events, deadlines, college visits, etc. as well as spotlighting some majors and careers!
Also new this year is the CHS School Counseling Schoology page which will house resources for students and parents. To join, enter this group code in Schoology: 7DVXZ-XXDD9
As always, please see me with any questions or concerns regarding the College/Career process. I look forward to working with you this year!
COLLEGE MAJOR: PSYCHOLOGY
The science of behavior and mind. Psychology is a multi-faceted discipline and includes many sub-fields of study. If you enjoy helping individuals or families going through problems, listening to them, interviewing/testing, analyzing and collecting data, being social and creative, researching human and animal behavior, then psychology is a career path for you!
Careers in trades, such as Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) are in high demand! Gaining a certificate in a trade would not take nearly as long and as expensive as a traditional four year college.
Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. Soldiers learn these values during Basic Combat Training. The U.S. Army offers a young person the opportunity to immediately train and work in an in-demand career field while earning a competitive salary and fringe benefits, including healthcare and money for college.
COLLEGE MAJOR: PSYCHOLOGY
October College Visits
Important Information for Seniors
- At this time, a School Counselor has visited each senior english class to go over the college process. The PowerPoint that was used in these lessons is uploaded on Schoology. Please use this as a reference as you complete the tasks required for college applications.
- Counselors will be meeting individually with students. If you would like to meet with your counselor before they call you, be sure to make an appointment in the School Counseling office.
- Make a list of the application, testing, and financial aid requirements for each college you are interested in. Be sure to update your "Colleges I'm Applying To" page each time you make changes to your list of schools.
- Transcipts: Be sure to complete the Catonsville High School Records Release form and return it to the School Counseling office ASAP. Reminder that no transcripts can be sent until we have a COMPLETED form on file!
- Letters of recommendation: Decide who to ask, and reach out to them early so they have time to write good letters. Make sure your Brag Sheet is completed in Naviance.
- Application essays: Look over essays you have already written for inspiration. Share your ideas with parents, teachers, or other trusted adults, so they can help you craft the strongest essays possible.
- Sign up for visits in school with college representatives on Naviance. (see below)