By Amber Kelly
What is bipolar disorder?
Manic signs and symptoms
- racing speech & thoughts
- increased energy
- decreased need for sleep
- elevated mood or exaggerated optimism
- increased physical & mental activity
- excessive irritability, aggressive behavior, & impatience
- poor judgement
- reckless behavior
- difficulty concentrating
- inflating sense of self importance
Depression signs and symptoms
- loss of interest in typical activities
- prolonged sad or irritable mood
- loss of energy or fatigue
- feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- sleeping too much or inability to sleep
- drop in grades or inability to concentrate
- inability to experience pleasure
- appetite loss or overeating
- anger, worry, and anxiety
- thoughts of death or suicide
How does bipolar disorder affect someone?
Other names & forms for bipolar disorder
- Manic depression
- Manic-depressive disorder
- Manic-depressive illness
- Bipolar mood disorder
- Bipolar affective disorder
How is bipolar disorder diagnosed?
How is bipolar disorder treated?
- This disorder is often misdiagnosed as schizophrenia, ptsd (post traumatic stress disorder), adhd (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), & other depressive disorders.