Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
CHS Speech and Debate Varsity Policy Team
Congratulations to the CHS Speech and Debate Varsity Policy Team of Tanzil Chowdhury and Nikpreet Singh for finishing in the top four in last week’s Southwest Regional Championship at ASU. Sixty-six teams fielded in Varsity Policy, representing more than fifty schools from eleven states. On their way to the semifinals, CHS defeated Brophy Prep and Coronado High School. The team is sponsored by Mrs. Ventura and Dr. Ploense. Great job, Wolves!
CHS DECA, sponsored by Mrs. Kim Frahm, took 32 students to district competition and brought home 28 medals. Great work, DECA!
Foreign Language Department
CHS French teachers, Dr. Angelika Foerst and Madame Peggy Bejarano, are participating in a teacher exchange with AJHS French teacher, Madame Jessica Gnoza (not pictured), in order to encourage students’ continuing study of the French language. AJHS is the district's MYP junior high that directly feeds into the CHS IB program.
Last Week's Winning Scores
- Varsity Boys Soccer def. Perry 3-1 and Basha 4-1
- JV Boys Soccer def. Perry 1-0 and Basha 6-0
- JVB Boys Soccer tied Casteel 2-2
- Varsity Boys Basketball def. Skyline 92-62
- JV Boys Basketball def. Skyline 82-45, Gilbert 43-42, and Mountain Pointe
- Freshman Boys Basketball def. Skyline 61-25
- JV Girls Basketball def. Mountain Pointe 53-28
- Freshman Girls Basketball def. Cactus Shadows 56-26
- Varsity Wrestling def. Hamilton 62-6
- JV Wrestling def. Hamilton 48-12
This Week's Home Events
- Tuesday, 1/19: Boys Basketball vs Desert Vista- Freshman @ 4 pm, JV @ 5:30 pm, and Varsity @ 7pm; Boys Soccer vs Basha- JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm
- Wednesday, 1/20: Boys Soccer vs McClintock- JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm
- Thursday, 1/21: JVB Soccer Girls vs Basha @ 4 pm; Boys vs Hamilton @ 6 pm
- Friday, 1/22: Girls Soccer vs Corona del Sol- JV @ 4 pm and Varsity @ 6 pm
Last week’s Curriculum Night was a great success. Incoming students and their parents received valuable information about CHS and its numerous programs. The event included performances by the CHS Band and Treblemakers, a presentation by Mr. Rother, and displays from each department showcasing their students and programs. Curriculum Night once again proved that CHS is not only the school of choice but also the “School of Champions.”
save the dates
CHS Honors Program Information Night
Thursday, Jan. 21st, 6-7:30pm
250 North Arizona Avenue
- IB-MYP program for 9th and 10th grade students
- IB-Diploma program for 11th and 12th grade students
- AP classes available to all grade levels
- Information about Honors classes for all grade levels
RESCHEDULED PARENT EDUCATION NIGHT
Thursday, Jan. 21st, 6:30-8pm
350 North Arizona Avenue
Several CHS Wolves, as well as other CUSD students, attended the 11th annual School Assembly as a part of the 2016 City of Chandler Celebration of Unity Events. Black Violin, an American hip hop duo from Florida, performed in front of a packed CCA house of excited spectators. The duo, composed of two classically- trained violinists Wil B. and Kev Marcus, combine pop culture through a fusion of classical, jazz, hip- hop, blues and R&B. Wil B explains, “We encourage kids to think creatively, to take what they love doing and try to come up with something no one has ever done before, and that doesn’t just apply to playing violin or even music, but whatever it is you decide to do. Expand your mind. Once we get their attention with the music, that’s the message we want to deliver.” Their ability to connect with people of all ages, experiences, and backgrounds distinguishes them and shapes their evolving performance style. With a passion for arts education, the duo hopes to encourage kids to pursue their dreams and education through their performance. Black Violin has performed with Alicia Keys at the Billboard Awards and with other big artists such as the Wu- Tang Clan, and Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park.
The Sun Lakes Rotary Club is sponsoring a speech contest this spring, with the finalists from all CUSD high schools presenting their winning speeches at a Rotary Club meeting on April 5th for final judging.
Chandler High has been invited to send one contestant, so preliminary speaking rounds will begin mid-February in order to select that student. For details, please stop by Ms. Tierney’s office (room 113) to pick up the information sheet. All students, grades 9-12, are eligible to compete to be the CHS representative for the final round in April.
The Marching Band will be hosting a Goodwill Donations Fundraiser on January 30th between 9am and noon in the Sophomore Parking Lot on Chandler Blvd. People can bring any household items, furniture, clothing, shoes, books, toys, bikes, exercise equipment, TV’s, etc., that they want to donate. The CHS band will receive money per pound of items donated. Weight sets are much appreciated, but no construction items or automotive items will be accepted. If you have a lot of items to donate, you can contact the boosters on the band website http://chandlerhighband.org and they will get the band truck to help pick up items. View the donation flyer for additional info. Thanks for your support!
YEARBOOK SENIOR ADS
Deadline: January 15th without a fee
From Jan.15 – Feb. 5, 2015 - LATE FEE of $25.00
Last Day to purchase a Senior Ad Feb. 5th
Process for purchasing a Yearbook Senior Ad: For more information, visit the yearbook website.
- Payment for the Ad: Cash or a check written to Chandler High School Yearbook, paid to the bookstore.
- Give bookstore your envelope with student name, grade, email address, & ID number on it. In the envelope include Senior Ad Order Form which shows page option (⅛, ¼, ½, full).
- If you are NOT submitting through email, include Senior Ad form, photos & TYPED text in envelope. You are encouraged to send photos & text thru email address below.
- Count the photo spaces on the yearbook spread that you have chosen, and only send that many photos through the email. You may only be able to send 1 to 3 photos maximum for each email you send us. This is the preferred way of sending photos & text to us. Pictures will NOT be returned! If you do not have email, you can submit photos on a CD put it in an envelope and then give to Bookstore.
Also, text must be typed and sent to the email address below. If you have no access to a computer, the information will be available at the school bookstore.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Ed Positions Available
It's not too late! Help support extra-curricular activities and extended learning beyond the regular school day by making a tax credit donation to Chandler High School. The state of Arizona allows taxpayers to receive a tax credit of up to $200 ($400 if married and filing jointly) when you make a tax credit donation to our school. Yes, taxpayers receive a dollar-for-dollar credit towards their state tax return. Tutoring, student clubs and field trips are just a few of the enrichment programs that are supported through tax credit donations. Click here for more info, and please name Chandler High School as the recipient of your donation. Thank you for your support!
career center news
Parents and students are highly encouraged to attend “Demystifying the College Application Process,” presented By Duke University on Tuesday, February 2nd in the CCA Bogle Theatre. Doors open at 6pm and the program starts at 6:30pm. See you there!