WHITE COLLAR CRIME (STEALING)
Identity theft: is a crime in which an imposter obtains key pieces of personal information, such as driver's license numbers, in order to impersonate someone else.
"WHAT TO DO IF IDENTITY IS STOLEN"
- You can contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus
- You can also file a police report and contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently
"WAYS TO REDUCE/STOP THIS CRIME"
- You can reduce this crime by not giveing out personal information on the phone, through the mail or over the Internet unless you initiated the contact.
- Use a cross-cut shredder to dispose of documents with personal information. Also, use a specialized gel pen when writing out checks.
- Password protect your financial accounts. A strong password should be more than eight characters in length, and contain both capital letters and at least one numeric or other non alphabetical character. Use of non-dictionary words is also recommended.