Human Genome Project
By: Shania Vaughan
- identify all the approximately 20,000-25,000 genes in human DNA,
- determine the sequences of the 3 billion chemical base pairs that make up human DNA,
- store this information in databases,
- improve tools for data analysis,
- transfer related technologies to the private sector, and
- address the ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from the project.
How should this technology be used?
What are the ethical, legal and social concerns?
Social Concerns: Who will have access to my genes and what are they going to do with them. Also will i have access to the information and a privacy statement.
Legal Concerns: After the information is gathered how will such tests be evaluated for accuracy.