Camp First Grade
2017 - 2018
Skills for the week of April 30-May 4th, 2018
*Main Idea and Details
*Suffixes -or and -er
* Words using vowel teams (oa, oi, ea, ee, ai, ay)
*Suffix ending -ed (clicked, sailed, shifted)
*Writing to Source - Students will use a reading source to write facts about a topic
*Identify coins and count to one dollar
*Graphing- bar, tally, picturegraph
*Rocks and soil
*Read 15-20 minutes every night---Take AR test on books from library during the week
May 8, 9, 11 - Drama Club presents The Wizard of Oz at Ida Baker HS
May 15- Awards - Mrs. White 9:15; Mrs. Gallon 10:15
May 25, 29, 30 - Early dismissal days at 1:10
May 28 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
May 30 - Last day of school for students
August 10 - First day of new school year (2018 - 2019)
Welcome to our Class Website!
Our mission at Gulf Elementary is to create a community of learners who are equipped with the knowledge, strength of character, and desire to reflect on the past, achieve in the present, and build for the future.
On this website, you will find important information regarding our classroom and upcoming school-wide events. Please feel free to email me or message me on Class Dojo if you have any questions or concerns. I rarely have time to reply to emails and/or messages during class time, but I will get back to you within 24 hours during the weekdays. If it is an emergency, please call the school directly at 239-549-2726 and the office staff will be happy to help. I look forward to a great year working with your family!
Important Classroom Information
1. Please check and sign your child's planner every night. This is where they will write their homework every day and it is a great communication tool for you and I as well.
2. The Take Home Folder consists of:
~Keep At Home pocket - please review work and empty every night
~Return to School - these papers need to be signed/looked over and returned the following day
~Dojo points tracker sheet - students will color their points in each day. Each color signifies a different day. Once they reach a monster, they earn a ticket to redeem in the classroom.
~Fluency Practice page (some students) - Read this page two times each night, Mon - Thurs. I will be reading with your child every Monday and Friday and we will be recording the number of words they read for one minute. We hope to see an increase between the two days and over the course of the week. (Only some students will have these)
~Rabbit Reader booklets (some students) - These can be found in the front clear sleeve of the red folder. Please read every night. Students will come in the next day to try to read with no errors and move on to the next booklet. If there are errors made, they will bring the same booklet home and try again the next day.
~Homework Helper Page - quick reviews for Math and Reading help.
3. Have your child read to you or with you every night for 15 minutes. We will be going to the library every Friday to check out new Accelerated Reader (AR) books. They will be reading these books to help them prepare to take AR tests. Your child will have an AR goal every quarter. In order to reach that goal, they will need to score an 80% or better on each quiz and test on at least two books per week. In addition, there is a school wide goal of reaching 75 points by the end of the year in order to receive a special award.
4. Please send a DRY snack in with your child every day. Examples of dry snacks include: pretzels, fruit snacks, string cheese, Cheez-Its, goldfish, fruit roll-ups, animal crackers, etc. A snack that has liquid or that requires a spoon is not allowed, as we are eating these in our classroom on the carpet. I will not have snacks to provide to students that do not bring any in. Thank you for your understanding.
5. We will have Specials every day. PE will be four times a week and recess will be every day. Please make sure your child is wearing tennis shoes EVERY day for safety reasons. We will alternate Music and STEM every other week. The students will also have Art, Social Emotional Learning (SEL), and Computer Lab every week.
~Breakfast is served from 8:30 - 8:50 and is FREE for every student.
~Lunch is FREE as well. If your child would like to purchase other items or ice cream (Fridays), you will need to send in money or add it to your child's account online.
~We collect Box Tops. These help get supplies for our classroom. Please be careful as to not cut the date off.
~Birthday celebrations will be done at lunchtime. Be sure to only send in store bought food (district policy). We only have 25 minutes for lunch and limited staff to pass out extra items in the lunchroom. Please try to limit the treats that you send in to cookies or mini cupcakes, for example.