MHS Counseling Newsletter
Grades 9-12 JANUARY 2020 Edition
- MVCTC APPLICATIONS
- COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETINGS
- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETINGS
- MIAMI VALLEY TECH PREP SCHOLARSHIP
- NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITES
- CURRENT SCHOLARSHIPS
12/23-1/6 NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
1/6 - PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY FOR STAFF
1/7- SCHOOL RESUMES - FIRST DAY OF 2ND SEMESTER
1/15- COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETING 6:30 P.M. (STUDENTS WITH LAST NAMES A-K)
1/16- COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETING 6:30 P.M. (STUDENTS WITH LAST NAMES L-Z)
1/20- NO SCHOOL - MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
1/21-1/23- SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETINGS FOR LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS
1/31- MHS ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME DINNER
2/14- NO SCHOOL- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY FOR STAFF
2/17- NO SCHOOL - PRESIDENT'S DAY
* ProgressBook now has Apps for both android and apple smart phones!
MVCTC APPLICATION IS NOW LIVE
Current sophomores interested in attending the MVCTC for the 20-21 school year can now apply online. MVCTC applications areavailable on-line at: http://www.mvctc.com/apply To be in the first round of applicants, students need to apply by January 31, 2020.
COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS MEETINGS (CCP)
SENIOR SCHOLARSHIP MEETINGS
For more information, please click on the attachments.
*If your student receives free or reduced lunch they may be eligible for a fee waiver, they will need to get this from their counselor.
MIAMI VALLEY TECH PREP SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION (SINCLAIR COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
To qualify for the scholarship students must:
- Earn a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of a 2.25 Junior year and the first semester of Senior year.
- Complete three or more career technical education courses, or two courses in a single pathway, and graduate from high school.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. Other financial aid must be used prior to using the Sinclair Tech Prep Scholarship.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester to be eligible for full scholarship benefits of $750.00 per term. Enrollment for 9 to 11 hours will be pro-rated at $563.00 per term.
- Maintain good academic standing as defined in the Sinclair Community College catalog "Grades" sectin (i.e., a GPA of 2.0 or higher).
Click on the link below for more information about Sinclair's Tech Prep Scholarship.
Sinclair Community College is now offering the high school merit scholarship. High School Merit Scholarships are offered to current high school seniors who are planning to enroll as full-time students at Sinclair during the 20-21 academic year. Scholarship awards range from $2,000 to $3,000 per year.
Students can apply for High School Merit Scholarships by visiting www.sinclair.edu/scholarships and clicking the red “Apply Online to Scholarships” button. Students are asked a series of questions and will need to submit an essay to describe their educational and career goals. They will also be asked to upload their unofficial high school transcript and a letter of recommendation.
Students will access the scholarship application using their Sinclair username and password, which means they need to apply for admission first.The priority application deadline is December 15, 2019.
The PFLAG Scholarship program, including the Greater Dayton LGBT Center scholarship, is designed to recognize outstanding students (two or three lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer [LGBTQ] and one or two allies) and to contribute toward their continuing education. This program is designed to celebrate the achievement of individuals who represent PFLAG and the LGBT Center values. For more information and to apply please visit http://pflagdayton.org/scholarships/ The deadline for these scholarships is February 7, 2020.
- Discover Student Loans is offering a chance for students to win $5,000 with the college covered scholarship. This is a monthly scholarship national drawing. They draw a $5000.00 scholarship at the end of each month, and students are randomly selected to win. Students can access the scholarship here: https://scholarship.collegecovered.com/ Applications must be submitted by February 2nd.
- The Connor Group Kids & Community Partners is once again offering scholarships for high school and college age students. Winner will be notified on or before April 1st. The application is online and takes less than 20 minutes to complete (no long essays required) There will be 6 scholarships of $2,500 or more. The application is online at: https://connorgroup.com/scholarship Applications must be submitted by January 15th.
The Aviation Chapter of the American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC) is pleased to announce that it will award scholarships to southwestern area Ohio High School seniors who are planning to obtain a degree in the financial/resource management arena (Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Computer Science, Operations Research related to Financial Management, Accounting or Finance).Recipients of national scholarships over the past few years gain $1,000 to $2,000 in addition to the amounts awarded by our local Aviation Chapter.Application packages can be picked up in the counseling office. Applications should be completed and mailed postmark no later than February 21, 2020.
- Universal 1 Credit Union's 2020 Glen R. Kershner Memorial Scholarship are available online at www.u1cu.org. The scholarship is in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded to a high school senior who is a U1 member and considering post secondary education at an accredited college/university. Applications are due by March 9, 2020.
- Injured Call Today Scholarship available to all high school seniors who are planning on entering the medical field. This scholarship is for students attending a 4 year college/university or a 2 year community college for Spring of 2020. This scholarship is a one time award of $1000. The application is online at:https://www.injuredcalltoday.com/#scholarship-application Applications must be submitted by June 30, 2020.
FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)
To reach the Federal Student Aid Information Center, please call (800) 433-3243.
Hours of operation are: Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-11 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m..