Chinook News for Wk of 2/13-2/17
Your every Sunday oh-FISH-al school newsletter!
This Week: 2/13-2/17
- 2/13-2/17- This is a Health Week (FYI: Art/Health is on a rotating schedule)
- 2/13-2/17 - GYM Schedule / Mr. Hall INSIDE gym & Ms. Straubinger OUTSIDE gym
- 2/13-2/17 - STUDENT COUNCIL SPONSORED SPIRIT WEEK (more info below)
- 2/13-2/17 - ELL ACCESS Testing Window Open (more info below)
- MON, 2/13 - PTA meeting / 6PM / via Zoom (Click for Zoom Link HERE)
- TUE, 2/14 - Student Council / PTA Kindness Grams delivered
- WED, 2/15 - ASD LOTTERY OPENS (more info below)
- THUR, 2/16 - Elizabeth Peratrovich Day
- 2/20 - Presidents Day holiday - No School
- 2/27 - Texas Roadhouse Dine to Donate (more info below)
- 3/3 - PTA Iditaread Read a Thon Kick off (more info to come)
- 3/10 - State released grade reporting day. End of third quarter - No School
- 3/13-3/17 - Spring break
- 3/21 - Tastee Freez Take Over (more info to come)
- 3/31 - Chinook Open Optional COSA Auction / Chinook Gym / 6-9 (more info to come)
School Attendance: Our goal is 90%
We want to hear from YOU!
Click here to take the survey. Takes about 5 minutes
The 6th gr will get the opportunity to spend time in classes and in the library, learn about elective class offerings and to submit a request for which electives to take next year. Students will have from Jan 30- Feb 10th to submit elective requests.
February 16 is Elizabeth Peratrovich Day
Elizabeth Peratrovich was a Tlingit woman from the Raven moiety, Lukaax̱.ádi clan. She faced discrimination in many ways. When Elizabeth and her family moved to Juneau in the 1940s, they were not able to lease the house they found because they were Alaska Native. However, she soon used her position as president of the Alaska Native Sisterhood to fight for Civil Rights for Alaska Native people. In February of 1945, Elizabeth Peratrovich addressed the Alaska Territorial Legislature with a compelling speech for civil rights, and shortly after, House Bill 14 was passed and became known as the Anti-Discrimination Act of 1945. Now, Elizabeth Peratrovich's legacy is commemorated every February 16 to honor her life and to celebrate her contributions toward advancing civil rights for all Alaskans.
These are two resources that are helpful in developing discussions about Elizabeth Peratrovich and her contributions to American Civil Rights:
- For all ages: See this Molly of Denali episode published by PBS!
- For secondary students: explore this study guide on the film For the Rights of All: Ending Jim Crow in Alaska. The film tells the story of Elizabeth Peratrovich and her fight for civil rights in Alaska. Title VI has copies of the film on DVD to check out.
Let's be prepared...
Do you know of a child who would benefit from our Open Optional program? Spring Lottery for the 2023-2024 school year opens February 15! Want more information? Click the ASD link here.
THINKING ABOUT SUMMER?
Some of the larger summer programs are already opening registration.
- Campfire - 3 different programs offered scholarships available and daycare assistance accepted based on program Enrollment open
- Trailside - scholarships available Enrollment open
- Dome - Scholarships available Enrollment open
- Alaska club - day care assistance accepted at some sites enrollment open
- Ymca - day care assistance accepted enrollment opens 3/1
- UAA Summer Engineering Academies - Enrollment open
* Repeat * Work with us!
- Teacher Substitute (ongoing recruitment)
- Special Education Teacher - Chinook Elementary
- Counselor - Chinook Elementary K-6
Chinook Vision Statement
We, the staff and students at Chinook Elementary, commit ourselves to working together to provide a positive and safe school environment that strives to meet the needs of our diverse community of learners.