The End of the Semester is Quickly Approaching!
With the end of the semester quickly approaching, we wanted to get some resources out to you! As always if you need us do not hesitate to email us!
The cost of a college education is higher than ever. How will you afford this expense? What if your children attend elite or out-of-state schools? What if they don’t graduate in four years? The costs can be monumental. This webinar will teach you how to send your children to the college of their dreams without bankrupting your retirement nest egg. You’ll discover strategies that may enable you to qualify for financial aid, sources for scholarships, and strategies for maximizing your wealth and minimizing your tax exposure, giving you greater cash flow for funding a college education. Please join Science Hill High School as they host The College Funding Coach® on December 7th @ 6pm. The College Funding Coach will be presenting their nationally acclaimed webinar presentation called “Little Known Secrets of Paying for College”. This is information you can’t afford to miss! To register for this event, click here! Please take a look around our website www.thecollegefundingcoach.org for helpful resources and information.
2. SCHOLARSHIPS: We have added over 30 more scholarships to our page on the website in the last week. Please check out the scholarship page here or have your student check out the page to see if any of the new ones apply to your student.
3. TN Promise webinar has been emailed to you from TN Achieves. You must watch it and submit your name by Feb 1st 2022 to remain eligible for TN Promise.
4.TN Promise students: Don’t forget that you need to complete your FAFSA before Feb 1st, 2021. You and a parent both need to create an FSA ID at fsaid.gov beforehand. Then go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your FAFSA. You will need your family’s 2020 tax return and you will need to sign your FAFSA with the FSA ID’s you created.
5. We want every student at Science Hill to feel like they have a place to meet people with similar interests. A great place to start is a club! Here is a list of the clubs that we have here at Science Hill.
6. Second Harvest Food Distribution will be taking place on Dec 4, 2021 at SHHS from 10am to noon. Each family that registered is to receive about 50 pounds of food. To register for the event click here.
7. Attention Seniors: The UT Promise scholarship application is open! To qualify you have to have already applied for TN Promise, apply to the UT school of choice by 12/15, and file your FAFSA by 2/1. You MUST be HOPE eligible (3.0 GPA or 21 composite on the ACT) and have an annual household income of $60,000 or less. For more information go to www.tennessee.edu/ut-promise/
8. If you are currently trying to find a job, you can check out out local job posting page here and see who is currently hiring around the area.
9. Allison Morton from UT would like to share the following information about UT!
I just wanted to reach out and offer an online visit with you and your students before our big regular decision deadline on December 15th. With the number of incoming applications this year, there is no guarantee that a student who applies after December 15th will be considered for admission. Students must apply by this date to guarantee that we will read their application. If this is something you would be interested in, please let me know and we will set it up ASAP.
10. Calling ALL high school Seniors!
AKA (Alpha Kappa Alpha) Pi Omega Omega Chapter is holding a FREE Financial Aid Workshop and Basic facts on Scholarships tomorrow Saturday, December 4th at 10 am. The zoom link is as follows:
Call +1 929-205-6099 Meeting ID: 833 8279 5000 Passcode: 049338
11. Are you taking the Biology EOC on Tuesday, December 14th? If so, please consider attending Biology EOC Bootcamp on today, December 1st, and 2nd, and December 7th, 8th, and 9th from 7:00 - 7:30 AM or 3:00 - 4:00 PM. Different topics are available every day. Please see your biology teacher for more details!
- Talk to your specific teacher about why you earned the grade you earned and what areas of improvement you can identify.
- Go to Topper Tutoring. See the Calendar for tutoring and Zoom tutoring HERE.
- Talk with your parents about strategies at home that can help support your ability to complete homework.
2. TN Gov School applications are now open! If you interested in this opportunity please stop by and see your counselor ASAP.
School of Arts Deadline is Nov 12.
All other Schools will be Dec 3.
FAFSA must be completed by Feb 1 2022 in order to remain eligible for TN Promise. Make sure that you have that done and if you have any questions contact your counselor.
1. FAFSA (tnachieves.org)-step by step instructions for FSA ID and FAFSA
2. How to Fill Out the FAFSA - College for TN- instructions and video tutorials
3. FAFSA is putting on a Financial Aid Webinar in the coming weeks. The webinar consists of several sessions between 10/19 and 10/21, including two line-by-line walk throughs of the FAFSA, sessions about student loans, and more. Once registered through the above link, attendees are given a list of sessions to choose from. Should you want to register for these, use the link below
1. The IXL program in your SSO can be a great tool to help you with preparing for ACT. All you have to do is:
Click on IXL
Click "Skills Plans"
Click ACT (toward the bottom of the page)
2.The SH counselors have some resources (Practice ACT Booklets) in our offices. If you would like to get one, just drop by your counselors office and pick one up!
3. In May, the TN Department of Edu, in partnership with the University of Tennessee at Martin (UT Martin), that all Tennessee high school students and teachers have access to workshops that help prepare students to succeed on the ACT. The ACT Success Tactics Workshops and Mastery Classes and Virtual Office Hours are available to rising 11th and 12th graders in Tennessee. During these free virtual workshops, we will share resources and tools that will teach students effective test-taking strategies, as well as provide them content practice in specific subject areas. Interested students can learn more about and register for the workshops, classes, and office hours here.
September - Begin completing college/TCAT admission applications
September/October - Take/Retake the ACT/SAT
September 28 & Feb 8 - ASVAB offered at SHHS at 8am in Library
October 1 - 2022-2023 FAFSA opens (use 2020 tax info) - submit ASAP!!
October - Complete scholarship applications, if needed (usually due Nov/Dec of Senior year)
October 5 - Free ACT for Seniors (Free ACT for Juniors to be offered in Spring 2022)
November - Search for scholarships on fastweb.com, collegeboard.org, or salliemae.com
November 1 - Deadline to apply for TN Promise
December - Scholarship deadline – most public TN 4 yr. universities
January, 2022 - Request mid-year transcript for Common Application, if needed
January - Check for departmental scholarship opportunities at college
February 1 - 2022 FAFSA filing deadline for TN Promise
February - Check out Local Scholarship opportunities
March 5 - Deadline to notify counseling office of graduation recognitions/awards
May - Remember to request that your FINAL transcript be sent through Parchment
May 28, 2022 - Graduation
July 1 - Community Service deadline for those using TN Promise in Fall 2022
We want to share a little bit about what we do! We work with your children with more than just their schedules. We can provide information on resources for children and family, social and emotional support, access to food and clothing when needed, career exploration, and so much more! Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.
Joe McPherson: Last Names A-Ci
Kim Thompson: Last Names Cj-Gi
Holly English: Last Names Gj-Ki
Ryan Goines: Last Names Kj-M
Suzanne Reaves: Last Name N-Sh
Josh Jarnigan: Last Name Si-Z
Additional Support Staff for your child that works closely with our Counseling Department:
Anthony Jones - Graduation Coach (11th and 12th)
Jenn Delahoussaye - Family Success Interventionist (9th and 10th)
Cody Ewing - Truancy
Frontier Health Therapists:
Kayla-Rayne Withrow, MSW - SHHS Main Campus
Sammi Nelson, MA, NCC - SHHS Main Campus
Lurelle Maxey, LPC-MHSP, NCC - Topper Academy