Cuming Happenings News Update
October 14, 2016
- Oct 15: Free Rabbit Clinic, Lancaster County Extension
- Oct 17: End-of-Year 4-H Leader Reports DUE
- Oct. 22: Make a Difference Day, Click Here for More Details
- Oct. 24: 4-H Youth in Action Awards Deadline, Click Here to Apply
- Oct. 26: Career Portfolio Judging, Courthouse Meeting Room @ 6:30 p.m.
- Nov 8: Reservations Due for 4-H Achievement Day
- Nov 9: Grow Nebraska Conference
- Nov 13: 4-H Achievement Day - 12:30 p.m., Nielsen Community Center
- Nov. 25-26: Livestock Classic Steer & Heifer Show, Northeast Community College, Norfolk
- Dec 1: Don & Marth Romeo Scholarship Applications Due to Extension Office
- Dec. 1: Applications close for the National Wester Stock Show Catch-a-Calf competion
Thank You for Completing Your 4-H Record Book
We want to thank all 4-H members that completed their record book and turned it into their leaders by the October 10 deadline. By completing your record book you are developing very important life time skills that will be valuable the rest of your life both professionally and personally. Your completed record books will become very valuable to you in school as you complete applications for awards, recognition and scholarship because all of your activities are recorded. Thank you to all families for your time and efforts to support your children to complete their record books.
4-H Leader End-of-Year Reports Due October 17
All 4-H leaders are asked to complete and turn into the Extension Office your clubs end of year reports by Monday, October 17, 2016. Forms were mailed to leaders the first of September. The form is also available at: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/cuming/Report%20of%204-H%20Club%20Activities.pdf. (On the Cuming County webpage under 4-H and Club Resources then click on Report of Club Activities). Please complete and turn in the club forms even if you do not have members completing record books.
Record Book Judging
Record book judging will be held in the Courthouse Meeting Room on Wednesday October 26, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The 4-H Council will provide a light supper for the volunteer judges. Each 4-H Club is asked to send to adult volunteer judges to assist will the judging. Adult 4-H Council members are also asked to assist with the judging process. Volunteers will work in groups of two to three to determine the winners of the 2016 County Awards. This is a great learning experience to review how to put together 4-H record books and see what other clubs and members are doing.
Save the Date! Achievement Day
FREE Rabbit Clinic - Oct 15
Come one, come all to the 4-H Rabbit Clinic THIS Saturday Oct 15th! Do you have a rabbit and are wondering if they are "show quality"? Or are you simply interested in learning more about how you and your rabbit can get involved in 4-H? Bring your rabbit for a morning of fun at the Lancaster Extension Office for the 4-H Rabbit Clinic on October 15th 9am-12pm. This event is open to all youth ages 8-18 and their families. There will be demonstrations on How to Judge Rabbits, Showmanship, Feeding and Care of a Rabbit, door prizes and so much more!! Click on the link below for the flyer and more information for this event: http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/documents/RabbitClinicFall16.pdf
Tomatoes, fruits and vegetables are plentiful, so now is the time to begin your 2017 Food Preservation project and get exhibits ready for the 2017 county fair. Make sure you use USDA approved recipes and appropriate methods for the products you are preserving. Dr. Julie Albrecht, UNL Extension Specialist shares, “The New Ball Fresh Tech Automatic Home Canning System” is NOT a pressure canner. It is an electric hot water bath canner. A recipe
book comes with the canner for recipes tested in the canner by BALL. These are the only recipes I would recommend using. Yes, 4-Hers can use this water bath canner but must use the recipes in the booklet that comes with the canner.”
32nd Annual Livestock Classic Steer & Heifer Show
Northeast Community College will be hosting the 32nd Annual Livestock Classic Steer & Heifer Show on Friday & Saturday (November 25-26, 2016). Exhibitors must eligible for 4-H, FFA, or Junior Breed Associations in 2017. Direct any questions to Mike Roeber at (402) 844-7183 or (402) 750-8128. Pre-registration deadline is November 18. Complete details are posted on our "activity bulletin board" at Nebraska Extension in Cuming County.
National Western Stock Show Catch-A-Calf Competition
Grow Nebraska Conference
High school females interested in learning more about agriculture are encouraged to attend a new conference designed just for you. In cooperation with FarmHer and Frontier Coop the first (hopefully annual) “Grow Nebraska” Conference will be held at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln on Wednesday, November 9th.
Benefits for Student Attendees
• Meet and network with professionals who are involved in successful agribusinesses
• Get a limited edition FarmHer Grow T-shirt and a professional head shot photo for your use
• Introduction to the free FarmHer online community and connect with women across the country
• Listen to inspiring and experienced speakers and gain tips and tricks for your future
• Meet peers from across the state of Nebraska and inspire each other to “Grow” in the agricultural industry
Although the tickets are free, everyone who is going to the event must register.
- Young ladies are asked to register at: http://bit.ly/2bI13Qn.
- The link to the Facebook event is: https://www.facebook.com/events/640032999480500/. Please invite all of your friends.
Space is filling up quickly! If you are planning to attend save your seat by registering soon.
Nebraska Extension- Cuming County
Larry Howard-Extension Educator: LHOWARD1@unl.edu
Mary Jo Lueckenhoff-Office Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice Brand-Office Assistant: email@example.com