OSCS Newsletter - Summer Issue August 3, 2018
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! We are eager and excited to begin this new school year and challenge your children to learn and explore new things. Our teachers and staff have been diligently preparing to welcome all of our new and returning families. We look forward to seeing all of our students, and we hope everyone is enjoying their summer break. See you soon!
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Please Note: There will be NO clubs during the first week of school. All clubs will start on Monday, Aug 20th.
KG - 2ND GRADE: TUES, AUG 7TH (5:00 PM - 7:30 PM)
3RD - 5TH GRADE: THURS, AUG 9TH (5:00 PM - 7:30 PM)
Please Note: Avant Garde is also hosting their orientation on Thursday, so please be prepared to park at the church's parking lot (located next to us) if space is limited. Thank you.
Students and parents will be able to meet their teacher and visit their classroom. Students are encouraged to bring their school supplies during orientation (please be sure to label all items with a permanent marker). Agendas and other important information will also be provided.
There will be a mandatory informational presentation at 5:30 PM for each day
PVO and After Care tables will be available for sign up as well.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
KG - 2ND GRADE: TUES, AUG 28TH (6:00 PM - 7:30 PM)
3RD - 5TH GRADE: THURS, AUG 30TH (6:00 PM - 7:30 PM)
Parents will have the opportunity to meet with their student's teacher as they go over this year's curriculum. This will be an in-depth look into what the teacher will be going over for the year.
SAT, SEPT 8TH (11:30 AM - 1 PM)
Bring your grandparents in for a special luncheon and tour!
KG - 2ND GRADE: SAT, SEPT 15TH
3RD - 5TH GRADE: SAT, SEPT 22ND
*COFFEE WITH PRINCIPAL*
Gifted Education Workshop for Parents
THURS, SEPT 20TH (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM)
*HISPANIC HERITAGE CELEBRATION*
THURS, OCT 4TH (6:00 PM - 8:30 PM)
*LUNCH WITH LOCAL FIREFIGHTERS*
THURS, OCT 11TH
During Fire Prevention Week, our local firefighters will be joining us for lunch!
BREAKFAST & LUNCH
Reminder: There is a $25 school fee that covers agenda, ID, and Homework Folder. Please pay the fee during the first week of school through SchoolPay.
If you wish to assist the school with events, field trips, etc. a Volunteer application must be completed. Even if you were approved last year, your application must be renewed annually. Only adults with a current approved status will be allowed on property. Application may take up to three weeks to process, so please complete as soon as possible. Clink on the link below to apply:
IMMUNIZATIONS & PHYSICALS
ATTENDANCE & TARDINESS
Every school day is critical in the growth of a student’s overall success, which is why we cannot stress enough the importance of making sure students attend school regularly and are on time.
OSCS adheres to Osceola County Public School attendance policy and procedures.
If your child will be absent, please send an email to Jessica.Gonzalez@osceolascience.org and her/his homeroom teacher on the morning of the absence.
Habitual School Tardy:
- Students who are unexcused tardy more than five (5) times in a calendar month or ten (10) times in a 90 day calendar day period may be referred to the county social worker.
- After 3 unexcused absences: The parent/legal guardian will be contacted by the school administrator requesting a conference.
- After 7 unexcused absences: The parent/legal guardian will be notified by the school administrator that the student has only three unexcused absences remaining prior to violating the state attendance requirements.
- After 10 unexcused absences: A letter will be sent from the school administrator to the parent/legal guardian regarding attendance. In addition, a referral shall be made to the school social worker by the school administrator.
- After 5 excused absences: The parent/legal guardian will be contacted by the school administrator or designee by phone or parental conference regarding attendance.
- After 7 excused absences: A letter will be sent from the school administrator to the parent/legal guardian regarding attendance. In addition, the school administrator shall confer with the school social worker to determine whether a referral is warranted at this time.
- After 10 excused absences: The school has the discretion to confer with the school social worker to determine whether any action should be taken to address the absences. When administrative actions taken to correct truancy have proven ineffective, the school system may file a truancy petition pursuant to the procedures in state attendance laws.