Keeping it simple and straightforward
Volume 1, Issue 1
The Big Picture
One day a traveler, walking along a lane, came across 3 stone-cutters working in a quarry. Each was busy cutting a block of stone. Interested to find out what they were working on, he asked the first stone-cutter what he was doing. “I am cutting a stone!” Still no wiser the traveler turned to the second stone-cutter and asked him what he was doing. “I am cutting this block of stone to make sure that it’s square, and its dimensions are uniform, so that it will fit exactly in its place in a wall.” A bit closer to finding out what the stone-cutters were working on but still unclear, the traveler turned to the third stone-cutter. He seemed to be the happiest of the three and when asked what he was doing replied: “I am building a cathedral.”
As we near the end of our first semester, I just want to remind everyone about the BIG picture. The LCAP, although changing, will not bring too much change to your SPSAs. We are still running interventions and servicing our most at-risk students. This new vision of how we will support our students will enable the district to be a catalyst for putting students first. Keep up your amazing work! As CIS you are not only integral part of the process but also vital to our students' success: The Big Picture
Feedback from LCAP Goals Jigsaw CIS Meeting November 19, 2015
- 1.1a- Evaluation process? For certificated and classified to ensure quality first instruction and customer service.
- 1.1d- Does “on course” mean A-G eligible?
- 1.2c- Add partnerships with UCSD/USD/CSU San Marcos
- 1.3d and 1.5A-need to provide specific job titles?
- 1.1 c- need to add outside teacher PD…not just district cohorts.
- 1.3f expand (see Molly R.)
- Add SOH to Dual Immersion 1.5bii
- Change 1.e to read Site Intervention Specialists to monitor, coordinate and implement interventions to assist students in reaching mastery of standards.
- Staff (CIS) training on psychological needs
- Have mental health professionals on call
- Social Media education for staff, parents, students
- 2.2- who is the TOSA?(R. Arancibia)
- What about incentives for students to encourage participation in activities and events?
- Tech needed to support culture/climate? (i.e. walkie talkies, drones, selfie sticks)
- Switch “foster” and “honor” in the goal description
- Is “investigate” to subjective of a verb?
- Quality customer service—provide appropriate PD for classified staff.
- Is there a C&I committee returning?
- Can we use “create” instead of “foster”? confusing with multiple meanings.
- Big missing piece with counselors…parent outreach? Student presentations?
- Case carriers to assist w/FY support services?
- Quality customer service at the district level too
- Who will fund Student Program Facilitator?
- 4.3c- who id included in “technology staff”? need more tech staff: i.e. mechanical knowledge of how to fix stuff.
- 4.3 Maybe applicable at site level.
- 4.1 and 4.2 more district level.
- What funding do sites have to update/upgrade facilities?
- Will funding be added to sites for additional transportation, like late busses?
- There is a need for hardware…computers for SBAC, Cameras for Illuminate, etc.
- Any opportunities for PD with classified staff? Customer service, relating to community?
- 4.3c- District tech staff will actively support purchased programs (like Achieve 3000)
Up Coming Events
- December 9, 2015-CIS Meeting@Parent Center 8:30-11:30
- December 14, 2015-Board Meeting @Board Room, 6PM
- December 19, 2015-January 10, 2016-Winter Break
- January 11, 2016-CIS Meeting@parent center 8:30-11:30
- January 18, 2016-Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday(No School)
- January 2016-Illuminate Training @PDC 8:30-11:30(beginning users) or 12:30-3:30(advanced users) Date to be determined.