HR NEWS AND UPDATES
BBSI - A Human Resource Management Company
HR MEET & GREET Sponsored by SBDC & BBSI
Thursday, May 12th, 3-6pm
522 Southeast Washington Avenue
JOIN US—Learn about Local Trainings, SHRM Local & State Chapters (meet members), Learn About Services provided by DC County Small Business Association, & Learn about the Umpqua Business Center.
There are many local services and free trainings available to local business owners, managers, HR professionals, supervisors, etc. right here in Douglas County.
COME NETWORK—Join us for a minute or for all three hours. Eat some great food from Smokin' Friday BBQ and see how local services can help you and your business. Bring your business cards for a chance to win some great prizes that will given out throughout the event!
Due to construction, you may find it best to park at the downtown parking garage.
SHRM DC CHAPTER - Leadership Program & Oregon State SHRM Board Meeting
Friday, May 13th, 8:15-11:30am
2371 Northeast Stephens Street
BOLI TRAINING - Documentation, Discipline, & Discharge
Wednesday, May 18th, 8am-12pm
Umpqua Community College - Lang Event Center
Among the most frequently litigated workplace disputes are those which arise out of disciplinary actions and employee terminations. This session will provide you with the knowledge and tools to properly document employee performance, use positive and negative feedback to keep employees on track, deal swiftly and fairly with problem employees and handle a termination.
Other specific topics will include:
• Protected classes under federal and Oregon civil rights laws
• Employment at will and exceptions
• Personnel records and supervisor “working” files
• Proper documentation and examples
• Setting expectations
• Positive discipline (coaching)
• Conducting performance appraisals
• Principles of discipline
• Conducting disciplinary meetings
• Documentation exercises
• Conducting a termination meeting
• Post termination issues
NEW REQUIREMENT ON PAY STATEMENTS - EFFECTIVE 01.01.2017
- The date of the payment
- Dates of work covered by the payment
- Name of the employee
- Name and business registry number or business identification number
- Address and telephone number of the employer
- Rate or rates of pay
- Whether the employee is paid by the hour, shift, day or week or on a salary, piece or commission basis
- Gross wages
- Net wages
- Amount and purpose of each deduction made during the respective period of service that the payment covers
- Allowances, if any, claimed as part of minimum wage
- Unless the employee is paid on a salary basis and is exempt from overtime compensation as established by local, state or federal law, the regular hourly rate or rates of pay, the overtime rate or rates of pay, the number of regular hours worked and pay for those hours, and the number of overtime hours worked and pay for those hours
- If the employee is paid a piece rate, the applicable piece rate or rates of pay, the number of pieces completed at each piece rate and the total pay for each rate
TO TRACK THE MEASURE, READ HERE: http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2016/SB1587/
Oregon, providing the nations first geographical tiered scale.
Have you given this some thought?
Do you have a message you want to portray or communicate. What do you stand for?
Do you have local folks to reach out to? Are you sharing best practices? Build yourself a network of local support. Join the HR Meet & Greet to take the first step!
Have you given this some thought?
Before Hiring A Minor - Do Some Research
To access BOLI's page: https://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/WHD/CLU/pages/index.aspx
How Are The Generations Holding True With Your Workforce?
BOOKMARK THESE HR LINKS!
Douglas County SHRM: http://dc.shrm.org/
Douglas County Employer Council:https://www.regonline.com/CalendarNET/EventCalendar.aspx?EventID=1767171&view=Month
Douglas County Chamber Monthly Newsletter: http://www.roseburgareachamber.org/newsletters/
BOLI Wage & Hour: http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/WHD/pages/index.aspx
REQUIRED EMPLOYER POSTINGS: https://www.oregon.gov/boli/TA/Pages/Req_Post.aspx
OEC Douglas County: https://oec.org/oec-douglas-county
Umpqua Training & Employment: http://www.ute1stop.org/