Monthly Newsletter for Child Nutrition Administrators
LISTEN TO THE LATEST NEWS
POLICY UPDATES & COMPLIANCE REMINDERS
If your district has not completed the form FND-135 to designate a User Access Manager in TX-UNPS, do so today! TDA is retiring the form FND-101 this spring!
P-EBT PLAN FOR SY2021-22 APPROVED
USDA has approved the state plan for P-EBT for this school year. Find out all of the ins and outs of the revised program:
SSO SITE APPLICATION GUIDANCE FOR THIS SUMMER
- Sites that have not been previously approved will be created per standard SSO processing guidelines.
- To streamline SSO application data entry, TDA will not require newly created sites to indicate summer operations when normal school ends and summer begins. Instead, existing sites will be revised to indicate summer operations.
- DO NOT TOUCH YOUR APPLICATION UNTIL …. You Read this document in its entirety.
SUMMER OUTREACH NUMBER HAS CHANGED
Eligibility Carryover for 2022-2023
- Utilize the online application if available. Have the district send the link in the following newsletter.
- Make sure you stress that this application is for carryover purposes only, and a new application will be needed for the 22-23 school year.
- Do you typically hire staff to assist with processing applications? If so, how will you handle opening the application now?
- Be sure you utilize the 21-22 Eligibility guidelines.
- This is not a requirement - choose what's best for your district.
- Refresh your Eligibility knowledge by viewing the training we hosted last summer. You can access materials HERE.
SCHOOL NUTRITION ADVOCACY
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) School Nutrition Service Dietetic Chair, Joceyln Karbo, talks about the transitional nutrition guidelines here.
- AND launches video "Healthy School Meals for All. Watch it here. (An abbreviated version for social media is located here.)
YOUR TURN ON THE MIC
USDA recently released transitional standards to guide Child Nutrition programs. These standards will start July 1, 2022, and will impact SSO this summer. The final rule addresses milk, whole grains, and sodium:
- Milk: flavored, low-fat milk is permitted along with an unflavored milk option
- Whole grains: At least 80% of weekly grains offered must meet whole grain-rich criteria; the remaining 20% must be enriched. Remember, whole grain-rich means that 50% of the product must be whole grain.
- Sodium: Target 1 for NSLP is in place through SY22-23, and then a 10% decrease in sodium will go into effect for lunch only in SY23-24. Target 1 for SBP will be in effect through SY23-24.
In addition, vegetable subgroups for SBP will go back to the previous ruling in which all subgroups must be offered before a starchy vegetable can be offered.
A proposed rule has been issued for Fall 2022. The comment period is open now. Please post your comments by March 24, 2022.
TURN UP THE VOLUME: DEADLINES APPROACHING
RESOURCES & LINKS
REQUEST TIME: REGISTER FOR A CLASS