BURLESON ELEMENTARY NEWS
NOVEMBER 11, 2021
EARLY RELEASE TOMORROW, FRIDAY NOVEMBER 12
4TH & 5TH GRADE TTU TOUR CAMPUS
5TH GRADE FIELD TRIP TO LUBBOCK SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
CHALK TALK WITH PEGGY BINGHAM - VETERAN'S DAY
A NOTE FROM DR. COFFMAN
We celebrated Veterans Day with a chalk talk with Peggy Bingham. We are proud of our mayor, Michael Salas, for introducing the history and importance of why we celebrate Veterans Day. We are beyond thankful that Peggy shared her gift with us all. She began with a partially blank canvas and created a beautiful waterfront scene. When she turned off the light to the National Anthem, an eagle and the American Flag appeared. It was moving to all because so many have sacrificed so much for our country.
My phenomenal Pre-K students had a wonderful week!
- Letters: Aa, Tt, Ll, Vv, Zz, Xx, Hh, Ff, Ee, Kk, Mm
- Focusing on letter Kk this week and number 13.
- Please write down the # of words read on new Reading log.
- Come Join us on Friday for our Thanksgiving meal in the cafeteria.
Thank you, parents, for all your support on our successful fieldtrip!
Mrs. A 😊
Just a few reminders for this week:
- The next sight word test will be on 11/16 which will be over all the red and neon yellow cards. Be sure to be studying them each and every day! Get creative when practicing sight words. Sight word games can be found on line and you can also look for them in everyday print. Make practicing them fun! New sight words will come home the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
- Please check ClassDojo frequently for pictures and important messages. There are a lot of important dates coming in the next few weeks!
- Be sure to read for at least 20 minutes each night AND document it on the monthly reading log. This is vital to their development as readers and leaders. Students should be reading and be ready to take AR tests several times per week.
- Kindergarten took their CBA (content-based assessments)in Reading and Math this week. Scores look very good overall. We are seeing tremendous growth!
- Please help FFA with Thanksgiving Food Drive, if your able to. You may send food items with your child and they will be added to our classroom totals. There is a list of food items on our ClassDojo class story.
If you need to reach me, you can message me on ClassDojo, email me, or call the school. 🙂
As always, thank you for sharing your children with me!
· Phonics homework every night.
· Spelling test NEXT THURSDAY, November 18.
· Practice all sight words. Test on green sight words Friday.
· +6’s to practice for a test.
· Reading log, please read a book every night.
· Please make sure your child is bringing their library book to school every day.
Our character trait for November is giving. Please help your child practice this trait by donating food for the FFA food drive and warm items for the warm a heart holiday drive. Both are excellent causes and teach our children a valuable character trait. I will send a picture reminder in the class Dojo story.
2nd grade students are awesome little turkeys! They are working hard in getting ready for UIL.
We are learning the importance of giving. Students are practicing double digit subtraction and we are reading for understanding. It’s been a busy week. Thank you for sharing your children with me.
- In reading we are focusing on the theme/message of a fiction story and author's purpose.
- In Social Studies we will be reviewing holidays we celebrate.
- UIL competition is next week, be looking for a note for those who are participating.
- Thanksgiving lunch is next week.
- Please make sure you are checking Class Dojo messages because we will be sending home important reminders next week about all the events going on.
· In math we are completing our lessons on creating graphs and reading graphs to answer question.
· In science we are learning about the force of gravity.
· Please make sure your child is practicing their math facts each night.
· Math fact tests are on Fridays.
4th grade Science--We have begun our unit on natural resources. We have discussed soil and looked at 2 separate samples and discussed characteristics. The students have been way more excited to discuss "dirt" than I thought they would be. 🙂
4th grade Math--We are still in our unit on fractions. The students have been working hard at adding and subtracting fractions and simplifying fractions. Some students are still struggling because they have difficulty with multiplication and division. PLEASE help them review at home. Many of the students are enjoying fractions much more than the anticipated. 🙂
5th grade Science--Students have been calculating net force and discussing forces. We have done some review with information including mass, friction, gravity, push and pull. We will soon begin discussing Earth's changes.
*The students have had some field trips and they have been very well behaved and have enjoyed the information they were exposed to.
***UIL time is here again....Tuesday will be the speaking events and Thursday will be all the graded events. Your children have been working super hard and I am very proud!!!!
Thank you for sharing your children with me,
We are almost to Thanksgiving break! The kids are continuing to work hard every single day and I know they are ready for a break. Please continue encouraging them to read every single night. We are so close to beating 5th grade in words read, and I really want them to achieve that goal, at least once.
- UIL Events are Tuesday (Nov 16) and Thursday (Nov 18) of next week. PLEASE ensure your child is practicing and preparing. They MUST dress nicely that day, no jeans. More information will come on Dojo and in a note home.
- Read, read, read every single night.
- Please ensure your child is here an on time every single day. If your child will be out, please reach out and let me and Sandy know.
- No spelling test until after Thanksgiving break.
- Thanksgiving Lunch will be on Thursday, November 19th. You are welcome to sign your child out for break after lunch 🙂
- School will dismiss early on Friday, November 12th at 3 pm. Please plan accordingly.
Thank you SOOO much for all you do! This has been a fantastic start of the school year, and I can't wait for what's to come 🙂
~ Jenna Wesley
-We are still dividing decimals. We will be adding fractions when we get back from Thanksgiving Break.
-Please continue to have your child practice multiplication math facts, a few minutes every night. We need to know our math facts to simplify fractions and get equivalent fractions.
-I am so proud of our 5th graders, we had two little field trips this week and they did awesome.
Thank you, 5th Graders
Thank you for your support,
In reading we are learning about different characteristics of fiction. In the next few weeks we will be discussing different types of fiction. We are working on writing our own piece of realistic fiction as well.
In Social Studies, we are learning about the concept of Manifest Destiny and the move west for the United States.
We had a great time this week at our field trips this week! We visited both Texas Tech University and the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra. It was so great, and the students did amazing. They came back and wanted to go back for more. I loved it!
A few reminders:
- UIL is coming up and we have multiple events next week. Be on the lookout for a letter home detailing this information.
- Spelling test is tomorrow. There will be no spelling list for the next week because it's before Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving Lunch is next Friday, 11/19/21. Our lunch starts at 10:55 am. We hope to see you there!
- We have early release tomorrow Friday, 11/12/21 so we can go cheer our football players in the playoffs!
It's been a busy and great week!
As always, if you have questions, please Dojo me.
TURKEY TROT NOVEMBER 17TH
THANKSGIVING LUNCH, FRIDAY NOVEMBER 19TH
Come and enjoy lunch with your child(ren)!
STUDENT LEADERSHIP WILL HOST A BAKE SALE
WARM A HEART HOLIDAY DRIVE
BRONCO FOOTBALL IN THE PLAYOFFS
PLAYOFF GAME THIS FRIDAY!!BRONCOS -VS- SPUR
IN HERMLEIGH, TEXAS AT 6:00 PM
Come out to Hermleigh, Texas this Friday and support our BRONCOS in the playoff game!
GO BRONCOS, BRING HOME ANOTHER WIN!!!
MRS. SANDY'S SNACK SHACK
Every Wednesday right after school!!
Prices range from .50 to 4.00
pickle pops, snow cones, popcorn, dippin dots, cake pops, etc